1846RE: [scrumdevelopment] dependancies

  • Mike Beedle
    Sep 15 9:26 PM
      Ron writes:
      > If I did Scrum instead of XP I would do just what I do in XP.
      >
      > 1. I ignore dependencies.
      > 2. I observe that customers usually ask for the right dependent
      > item first.
      > 3. I observe that they can usually be influenced to ask for
      > the right one if need be.
      > 4. I observe that dependencies are usually reversible, i.e. if
      > A and B are dependent such that A will take 5 days and then
      > B will only take 1, it's usually true that if B is done first,
      > it will take 5 days and then A only 1.
      > 5. I build the parts that dependent projects depend on incrementally.

      Ron:

      Long before XP was around Scrumers did just that.

      Back in 1995 when Bob Martin wrote his now famous book:

      [MartinR95] Robert C. Martin, Designing Object
      Oriented
      C++ Applications using the Booch Method", Prentice Hall,
      Englewood Cliffs, NJ 1995

      We had a lot of arguments about how would you plan for "dependencies".
      (Bob's book is a masterpiece in the analysis of such dependencies
      for _any_ languages as is his PPP book i.e. "Agile Software
      Development: Principles, Patterns and Practices."

      The conclusion that some of us made after literally years of
      discussions was that:

      You can't know up-front in Requirements component
      dependencies unless you already know the Design.

      But in most cases, and specially in _new development_ you
      won't "know" the design -- you are inventing it as a
      New Product (ala Nonaka and Takeuchi). Therefore,
      in Scrum we simply what the customer wants in prioritized
      form, and we self-organize to cope with the dependencies.

      This is one of the very important reasons why Scrum can't
      promise to deliver 100% of the scheduled functionality
      for a Sprint.... because there might be dependencies that
      make you deliver something first, on your way to what
      was the original goal!!!!

      But that's ok Scrum does promise you will deliver
      something meaningful, a contribution toward the goal,
      and that you will make the most of your time and effort
      to satisfy the customers' wishes,

      - Mike
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic