1826RE: [scrumdevelopment] Multiple Customers in one Sprint - questio ns

  • Trainor, Charlie
    Sep 9 12:59 PM
      Deb,

      Excellent question. I'd say "it depends".

      If you have two customers for the same basic product, then Brad's answer
      applies - you either need a product manager to make the decisions, or you
      need to involve both customers in the decision making process. It's good to
      get the customers together in a room if possible, because then they see the
      bigger picture; a change suggested by one may actually benefit the other,
      and in any case they will have some exposure to each others' needs, which
      makes it more palatable when their requests are not always acted on
      immediately. I've seen this work well for both feature planning and also
      prioritizing defect fixes. Obviously this is much easier to do for internal
      customers.

      However, if I understand you correctly, you are actually working on
      different products, so each customer doesn't really care about the other
      except that they are competing for attention. (I'm assuming there isn't
      enough steady work to justify multiple teams.) Then it is purely a matter
      of business priorities. Somehow you need to prioritize requests based on
      the ratio of business value to effort. You might get direction from
      management on these priorities; failing that, you can try to estimate them
      yourself (you'll need the customers to supply the estimated value). You may
      want to ensure at least some work gets done for each customer each sprint -
      to keep their involvement going. As Brad's article mentions, the decision
      making process must be made visible to the customers so they don't feel
      unjustly treated.

      - Charlie