181RE: [scrumdevelopment] Measuring Business Value

  • Narsu, Uttam
    Dec 9, 2001
      I think there's a missing dimension here, and that's risk and therefore risk
      management.

      Including risk allows one to gauge the value and the implications of trading
      off one variable over another, like trading off quality to make that market
      window.

      I'm also concerned that there's no measure of future value, what we would
      term flexibility. Measuring flexibility has business value because when it's
      present, then you may be better placed to meet a new requirement. Of course,
      there's a danger to flexibility in that as the XP'ers say, the simplest
      design is the best. Risk lets you quantify that as well, since a more
      complex, yet flexible design will take longer.

      We tend to use a framework that measures cost, benefits, flexibility and
      risk to measure business value. I don't believe it's been applied to the
      context of project management, but there may be some useful ideas in it for
      this domain. If anyone wants to hear about it (don't worry, it's an open,
      academically aligned methodology), I can sketch out the details in a mail
      message.

      Uttam
      --
      Uttam M. Narsu