17867Re: ongoing peer feedback

  • entretriens
    Dec 4, 2006
      People frequently make errors when attempting to pinpoint the source
      of anonymous feedback, I didn't mention that, but that doesn't mean I
      disagree. Did you mistake my response as being strongly in support of
      anonymous feedback? As I mentioned earlier, anonymous feedback can
      cause problems, but in the right environment the issues are minimized.

      Did you look at the template set forth by Jeff Sutherland? It doesn't
      appear so. I don't advocate a strictly numbered rating system, but
      numbers tell a story of their own (they provide something
      measureable), which I think is valid especially for larger scale
      environments. Both the numbers and feedback are important as far as
      I'm concerned.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Esther Derby" <derby@...> wrote:

      > He, entretriens--
      >
      > > Anonymous is well intentioned, but sometimes it's too easy to figure
      > > out who rated what on who, in which case it's not very anonymous.
      > > Moreover, it can potentially worsen morale if the rated think he is
      > > doing fine and then is slapped with low ratings from his peers.
      >
      > Sometimes it is easy to figure out who gave the anonymous feedback...and
      > then the feedback receiver wonders "Why didn't s/he tell me directly?"
      >
      > Sometimes feedback receivers only *thinks* he knows who gave the
      > feedback...and then he wonders "Why didn't s/he tell me directly?"
      about the
      > wrong person.
      >
      > When people guess where feedback came from, they get it wrong as
      often as
      > not.
      >
      > When feedback is anonymous, the feedback receiver doesn't know who
      to go to
      > for clarification, nor can they put the feedback in context.
      >
      > The result? Anonymous feedback breaks trust.
      >
      > > If there are barriers to feedback exchange amongst teammembers, then
      > > it might be worth taking a step back and focusing on bettering the
      > > relationships within the team. <snip> If people can't honestly talk to
      > each other, then it's a
      > > sign of weakness on another level.
      >
      > Indeed. And sometimes, people don't know how to give feedback in a way
      > that's congruent and helpful. Peer-to-peer feedback is a skill that
      agile
      > teams need to support inspecting and adapting working relationships.
      >
      > <snip> I for one am not against a numbered rating system: I think it's
      > useful particulary for matrixed enviroments.
      >
      > So let's do a thought experiment:
      >
      > Suppose someone tells you: "You are a "3". Do you know what you need to
      > change to be a "4"? Do you know why you are a 3 and not a 2 or a 4? How
      > does it feel to have someone tell you that you are a "3"?
      >
      > Ratings tell you something about another person's judgment or
      evaluation of
      > you. They don't give the information that would help you improve.
      >
      > >Are the feedbacks objective?<
      >
      > On some level, feedback is always about the feedback giver - it's
      his/her
      > perception of you, not the truth about you.
      >
      > Esther
      >
      > Esther Derby
      > Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      > 612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com
      >
      > **Agile Retrospectives named one of the TOP TEN TECH BOOKS of 2006
      by the
      > editors at amazon.com!**
      >
      > Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great, by Esther Derby and Diana
      > Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

      And I'd
      > > > train the team on how to give peer-to-peer feedback congruently.
      > > >

      > > > If you'd like to learn more about peer-to-peer feedback, I'll point
      > > you to
      > > > some articles.
      > > >

      > > > ED
      > > >

      > > > Esther Derby
      > > > Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      > > > 612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com
      > > >
      > > > Now available: Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great, by
      Esther
      > > > Derby and Diana Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)
      > > >
      > > > Secrets of Agile Teamwork PUBLIC workshop December 5-7. Email me for
      > > more
      > > > information.
      > > >
      > > > _____

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic