17791RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ongoing peer feedback

  • Esther Derby
    Dec 1, 2006
      He, entretriens--

      > Anonymous is well intentioned, but sometimes it's too easy to figure
      > out who rated what on who, in which case it's not very anonymous.
      > Moreover, it can potentially worsen morale if the rated think he is
      > doing fine and then is slapped with low ratings from his peers.

      Sometimes it is easy to figure out who gave the anonymous feedback...and
      then the feedback receiver wonders "Why didn't s/he tell me directly?"

      Sometimes feedback receivers only *thinks* he knows who gave the
      feedback...and then he wonders "Why didn't s/he tell me directly?" about the
      wrong person.

      When people guess where feedback came from, they get it wrong as often as
      not.

      When feedback is anonymous, the feedback receiver doesn't know who to go to
      for clarification, nor can they put the feedback in context.

      The result? Anonymous feedback breaks trust.

      > If there are barriers to feedback exchange amongst teammembers, then
      > it might be worth taking a step back and focusing on bettering the
      > relationships within the team. <snip> If people can't honestly talk to
      each other, then it's a
      > sign of weakness on another level.

      Indeed. And sometimes, people don't know how to give feedback in a way
      that's congruent and helpful. Peer-to-peer feedback is a skill that agile
      teams need to support inspecting and adapting working relationships.

      <snip> I for one am not against a numbered rating system: I think it's
      useful particulary for matrixed enviroments.

      So let's do a thought experiment:

      Suppose someone tells you: "You are a "3". Do you know what you need to
      change to be a "4"? Do you know why you are a 3 and not a 2 or a 4? How
      does it feel to have someone tell you that you are a "3"?

      Ratings tell you something about another person's judgment or evaluation of
      you. They don't give the information that would help you improve.

      >Are the feedbacks objective?<

      On some level, feedback is always about the feedback giver - it's his/her
      perception of you, not the truth about you.

      Esther

      Esther Derby
      Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      612-724-8114 www.estherderby.com

      **Agile Retrospectives named one of the TOP TEN TECH BOOKS of 2006 by the
      editors at amazon.com!**

      Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great, by Esther Derby and Diana
      Larsen (Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2006)

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic