17783Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Valid uses of this list (was: RUP and Agile)

  • Mike Cohn
    Dec 1, 2006
      The best description of this is still found in the Scrum section in 1990's _Wicked Problems, Righteous Solutions_ (DeGrace and Stahl) who say:

      "To be sure, control _is_ [sic] still exercised; but, it is subtle and much of it is indirect. It is exercised by selecting the right people, creating an open work environment, encouraging feedback from the field, establishing an evaluation and reward system based on group performance, managing the tendency for going off in many directions early on and the need to integrate information and effort later on, tolerating and even anticipating mistakes, and encouraging suppliers to become involved early without controlling them."

      Going back further, Takeuchi and Nonaka talk about management providing "money, moral support and guidance" to the team. Our guidance was to stay practical, not too theoretical. Ken's also provided moral support and his annual checks to each member of the group based on number of emails contributed should be coming soon. :)  Ron--you'd make a fortune!

      Regards,

      Mike Cohn
      Author:
        Agile Estimating and Planning
        User Stories Applied
      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

      On Dec 1, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Ken Schwaber wrote:

      Ron …

      All self-organization is bounded. I often compare Scrum to chess, or
      even rugby. Scrum sets forth the rules within which the game is
      played; self-organization happens within that frame-work. Otherwise
      you have chaos, not complexity.

      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Clinton. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 12:34:45 PM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > A good Scrum Master will put a halt to discussions that start to drift
      > > outside the scope of the daily Scrum. The role of a moderator on
      a list
      > > with a stated scope is similar.
      >
      > What happened to that self-organization thing?
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
      > the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
      > them?" -- H. G. Wells

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic