17673RE: [scrumdevelopment] ongoing peer feedback

  • Vickydhiman
    Nov 30, 2006
      All:

      Having people judge other people with score cards/ rating scales goes against Agile completely. If it is written as follows, it makes it lot less him over her over him scenario:

      1. What are things others can improve?
      2. What are things that are good?
      3. What are things that the person knew he has to improve but did not?

      Thanks

      Esther Derby <derby@...> wrote:
      Hi, Christophe -
      You wrote: “To break the mental barrier to providing feedback about people, a suggested idea was to run anonymous quick peer reviews at the end of each iteration (maybe with a 1 to 5 score), and provide everyone on the team with their personal average peer score and the total team average, so they can be made aware of the other teams member feeling about them while comparing themselves to the rest of the team (without not knowing anything else about anyone in particular). The assumption being that someone getting bad reviews over and over by his team will do something about it, or at least not be surprised when the team decides to reject him/her.”
      People need to feel safe in order to bring up tough issues. So part of the work in retrospectives is to help people agree on ground rules that will help them be able to do that.
      Anonymous ratings won’t help people feel safe.  If someone receives a low rating, he’s likely to feel *less* trusting.  Further, people don’t know how to change based on a number. They need clear descriptive information about behavior/results and impacts.
      So rather than try an anonymous review system, I’d try to find out why people don’t feel safe and try to increase the level of safety.  And I’d train the team on how to give peer-to-peer feedback congruently.
      If you’d like to learn more about peer-to-peer feedback, I’ll point you to some articles.
      ED
      Esther Derby
      Esther Derby Associates, Inc.
      612-724-8114 www.estherderby. com