156RE: [XP] RE: [scrumdevelopment] Agile and CMM are contradictory

  • Mike Beedle
    Dec 6, 2001
      > > I see efforts to make things like Scrum and XP CMM compliant,
      > > or efforts to make the CMM agile, as complete nonsense because
      > > these approaches are _fundamentally different_.
      > >
      > > So beware: until processes are described as emergent and
      > > self-organizing by the CMM, there is no overlap and no point
      > > of comparison,
      >
      > I don't see teams making decisions between CMM and XP/Agile. I have
      > encountered a few, but they were still in the very early learning stages
      > about methods and process.
      >
      > Rather, things like CMM, ISO, and other standards are typically
      > constraints
      > to which teams must conform. Across the spectrum of implementations that
      > can qualify for various CMM levels, there will be some that are more Agile
      > than others. The more agile the compliant implementation the
      > better. It is
      > not about conformance to an Agile standard, just as is it not about
      > conformance to CMM. If is about better satisfying our customers.
      >
      > So, I disagree that this is nonsense. I believe the mission is
      > to make all
      > teams better, whatever their constraints. If exploring Agile CMM or
      > attempting the make variants of Scrum or XP compliant leads to CMM teams
      > that are more agile, then more power to those that are making the effort.

      Lowell:

      There is only one minor problem.

      True agile teams will rely on cycles of inspection, adaptation
      and self-organization but to conform to the CMM process framework
      one _must_ conform to an ETVX process description format.

      This makes it impossible to be on both sides of the fence.

      Until the CMM is allows processes to be self-organized
      and emergent, we will have two clearly distinct sides,

      - Mike

      Mike Beedle http://www.mikebeedle.com

      e-Architects Inc. http://www.e-architects.com
      Hipaa Accelerator http://www.hipaaccelerator.com