15045Re: Scrum is bad for employees (apparently)

  • woynam
    Aug 1, 2006
      Unfortunately, my experience has shown that as Scrum get adopted, 20%
      of Scrum practices will be ignored by the professionals, and 40% of
      the practices will be ignored by management, with little turnover.

      Sigh.

      They'll call it 'Scrum', but they won't really embrace the principles.
      Too many organizations find it easier to bend the process to fit their
      existing culture, than fundamentally change the staff, or replace them.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
      <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

      > I expect 20% turnover in professionals and 40% turnover in management as
      > Scrum gets implemented.
      >
      > Ken
      > _____

      Anyway, I had
      > a couple of resignations from my staff last Friday - which was the
      > conclusion of our last sprint.
      >

      > The first was because scrum makes people accountable for their work and
      > exposes them. Employee A is a difficult person who only has two ways of
      > estimating any job in a sprint. It's either 8 hours or the entire
      sprint -
      > no middle ground, no thought given to what the job might involve.
      "That's
      > all there is and don't tell me otherwise because I'm the one who has to
      > deliver". The grief I had trying to get this bloke to stop being a
      child
      > and act like a near-normal adult!! He's the kind of developer who
      doesn't
      > like others code reviewing their work, who thinks they know better than
      > everyone else and who, because of their superior brain power, knows
      that of
      > course the rules don't apply to them.
      >

      > Well the pressure finally hit the limit and the resignation came and the
      > thing that got them out the door was that scrum was a "stupid process".
      > It's apparently stupid because making teams self organizing and self
      > managing means that the boss doesn't have to do anything anymore.
      Oh, and
      > of course it's stupid because you have to tell everyone else what you've
      > been doing and you've got to talk to the rest of the team each day
      and the
      > rest of the team are dumb because I'm so smart and I could do a
      better job
      > than any one else on my own in my spare time.
      >

      > I thanked God big time for relieving me of this pain in the neck!
      And I got
      > big smiles from the rest of my staff when I let them know he was gone.
      >

      > Employee B (who just happened to be mentored by Employee A) left because
      > "scrum is too restrictive". "What do you mean?" I asked innocently.
      > "Well", came the reply, "when I have to do a job I really like to
      > investigate it, to understand what's going on deep in the code, to
      really
      > get a feel for the inner workings of the problem and the intricacies
      > involved. Having to deliver every 2 weeks means that I don't really
      have
      > time to do a lot of investigation. There are a lot of things I do
      at home
      > that could really improve the product and I don't get to try them here
      > because we keep having to do things from the backlog". Translation: I
      > can't muck around and play as much as I used to. Why don't I get to
      decide
      > on my own how the product works. Scrum means I'm accountable for my
      time and
      > I don't like that.
      >

      > The moral to the story? Scrum is obviously really bad for your
      employees -
      > after all it makes them accountable, visible and efficient and no
      employee
      > wants that to happen (well, at least the bad ones don't).
      >

      > P.S. As you may have inferred I didn't exactly cry myself to sleep
      on Friday
      > night.
      >

      > - Richard.
      >
      > http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com