15030Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum is bad for employees (apparently)

  • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
    Aug 1, 2006
      (responding to Richard)

      (I wrote this before reading the reply from the other Paul; I've added
      a postscript)

      > ...Anyway, I had a couple of resignations from my staff last
      Friday
      > – which was the conclusion of our last sprint.

      Don't take this as criticism, just something you may want to think
      about.

      Suppose you had to continue working with these folk?  How would
      you go about changing their attitudes?

      The reason I mention this is that if you had that option, you would
      have two ways of dealing with the situation and could choose which
      was more appropriate.  Having a choice is always valuable.
      I guess it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the cost incurred
      in taking that skill on board... or using a third party with that skill.

      It's hard to say from the limited report, but your ex-employee B
      might have been worth the effort.  Indeed, where one has to live
      with the person, one might find ex-employee A not entirely
      intractable.

      Paul Oldfield.

      (postscript)

      style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Employee B was just a poor developer who felt the pressure to
      > perform and was exposed by scrum.  The gap between him and
      > all the other developers became more and more apparent the more
      > sprints we completed.  Under “normal” development environments
      > he
      would have been able to hide a lot better and explain away
      > slow performance as investigative work

      Do you censure or reward performance for the team as a whole,
      or for individuals?  Scrum is good at exposing problems.  We get
      to choose how to address them.  You might find Alistair Cockburn's
      writings on "Personal Safety" (e.g. in Crystal Clear) worth reading.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic