13499Re: [scrumdevelopment] Seperate engineering and QA backlog, burndown and velocity

    May 2, 2006
      On Tuesday, May 2, 2006, at 8:45:26 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:

      > This may be me being dim - but how does this work?

      My guess is: it doesn't work very well.

      > How do the programmers tell whether they have completed a piece of
      > work without knowing whether it passes the tests? What are the units
      > on the chart for the QA team (units assessed? units passed?) ?

      The programmers have to guess whether they have finished the work if
      they don't have the tests to run until sometime later. Their guesses
      have three possible results, and two of them are bad.

      > Surely a feature can only be marked as completed once the "engineer"
      > and the "QA" person has finished?

      You would think so. Managers and ScrumMasters would do well, I
      think, not to consider work done until it actually is shown to work.
      That means that for the developer, nothing she does in week 1 is
      "done" until week 2 /at the earliest/. Meanwhile, she's working on
      something else, which is also not done ...

      Close out the work within the Sprint, that's my advice. Let done
      mean done.

      How do I know what I think until I hear what I say? -- E M Forster
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic