      From: Dan Brown [mailto:kid_danomite@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:30 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Planning a product release

      Mike & Ken:

      Thanks! That makes a lot of sense, but it will take some practice to
      decompose our stories into 3-4 day chunks instead of diving into the
      design of a big task more quickly.

      Mike - I hope the answer to the XXXXXXXX on c 7, p 48 comes out the
      way you want it!

      One final thing - I did notice a potential error on c9, p74, where
      the text & the table are inconsistent about using the square root of
      the sum of the squares (probably what you want) or the square root of
      the sum. The other thing you may want to mention at the end of this
      page (74) when comparing simple 50% buffers to square root sum of the
      squares is that if you have a large number of tasks, the 50% buffer
      grows much more quickly than the square root of the sum of squares
      (i.e. for a very large program, this may represent very little
      difference from the 50% case). Have you ever tried something like
      taking the an average of the sum of the 50% & the sum of the 90% or
      if you want to stick with the square of the difference approximating
      the variance of the task you could even set confidence bounds on the
      project by estimating the average of the sum(50%) & sum(90%) plus or
      minus the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences.
      This would have the added benefit of telling you if your confidence
      bounds are, perhaps, longer than 1 Sprint-length.

      Dan

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...>
      wrote:
      > John--
      >
      > The image on the page is from a simplified version of the
      spreadsheet I was
      > using at the time. There's a better version of the actual
      spreadsheet at
      > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/resources.html. In that one
      you'll see
      > where I have columns for 50% and 90%. Developers have such an
      easier time
      > saying "that will take 4 or 5 days" instead of "that will take 4
      days" that
      > I have the team formalize what they mean by their low and high
      estimates and
      > then give both. Giving two estimates seems like twice the work of
      giving one
      > estimate but it's actually much easier. Even better--the two
      estimates are
      > more expressive so I can use them to size buffers early on.
      >
      > When a sprint is ongoing and we're tracking sprint backlog (as
      shown at
      > http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html) we
      just track
      > a simple 50% estimate of the time left to completion. The work is
      already in
      > the sprint at that point so you don't have any real control over
      the buffer
      > (it's already sized) so there's no point in tracking 50% and 90%
      numbers for
      > items in the sprint backlog.
      >
      > I'm glad you enjoyed the user stories drafts. I'd appreciate any
      specific
      > feedback you have on it as I continue with it.
      >
      > --Mike

      Leach's "Critical
      > Chain
      > > Project Management."
      > >
      > > This gives me a buffered schedule that takes into account overall
      > > uncertainty (but isn't as huge as one from adding all the
      individual
      > > uncertainty, which would be wrong). I then round it up into a
      > number of
      > > sprints. If the team is new to Scrum I may add one more sprint
      > (month) to
      > > the end and use that as a "stabilization sprint" meaning the team
      > will need
      > > that extra month to work out any last bugs.
      > >
      > > I've been very successful with this in estimating and committing
      > projects
      > > out about 9 months into the future. (I haven't failed with it at
      > longer
      > > ones; I've just been able to avoid longer commitments!)
      > >
      > > I realize I didn't have time to type in many details (it's a busy
      > month!)
      > > but I have written more about it on www.userstories.com if you're
      > > interested. If so, go to http://www.userstories.com/download.php
      > and take a
      > > look at "Principles of Estimating," "Estimating User
      Stories," "Why
      > Plans Go
      > > Wrong," and "Planning a Release."
      > >
      > > --Mike