11736Re: what benefits can sub tasking bring to developers?

  • Deb
    Mar 1, 2006
      Yes, ideally the tasks could be noted on the story card, at the
      beginning when they are learning their environment etc. and you could
      estimate at story level.

      But in teams with (gasp!) specialization, units smaller than stories
      may be needed. When 'experts' show up in this way in the process, use
      it as a chance to cross train! Then you won't need a separate task in
      future.

      deb

      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > On Tuesday, February 28, 2006, at 10:50:24 PM, kittys shu wrote:
      >
      > > How can we persuade developers to do this? Or, in other words,
      what are the big and obvious
      > > benefits for them to show their private working steps?
      >
      > I like to see the team brainstorm the technical tasks that are to be
      > done, but to see user stories signed up for, not tasks. (By the way
      > "user story" is, as far as I know, an XP term, not a Scrum term.)
      >
      > Brainstorming the technical tasks is an explicit albeit small design
      > step and therefore it benefits the team by keeping everyone aware of
      > the intended design of each story, and allowing everyone to
      > contribute.
      >
      > Signing up for stories rather than tasks keeps the team focused on
      > story completion, not task completion. Thus, I prefer it.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It is a bad plan that admits of no modifications. -- Publius Syrus
      (ca. 42 BCE)

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic