11734Re: what benefits can sub tasking bring to developers?

  • Deb
    Mar 1, 2006
      Hello Kitty1 (guess you hear that a lot? :-)

      Your reasons are sensible, and I'd add one more: with more granular
      units of work the burndown can be easier to update. Sometimes a big
      item with lots of uncertainty burns down like 10-10-7-7-0, you have
      flatlining and sudden drops. Burndown is easier to update and guage,
      in my opinion, when stories or task are <= 10% of sprint length. The
      burndown is very much a developer tool, not just for the SM. The
      developers are on the hook to deliver, not the SM.

      > these two points are more likely for management purpose

      Yes, and amazingly, Agile management can have benefits for developers,
      too! :-D

      > How can we persuade developers to do this?

      I'd say, wait till there is a problem, and if they don't suggest it
      themselves, you might ask them what they think. Best way to get more
      agile, in my book, is to apply the practice "where it hurts". I
      believe that some XP teams do estimate at the story level, and that's
      fine.

      Where might this practice (small estimation units) help? Using the
      burndown but still not making the target may be one. Idle people may
      be another (smaller units can be more easily shared). Bottlenecks
      could be a third. Anyone else have ideas on this?

      I find that more granularity at the beginning can help the team learn
      to estimate, once they have learned this the best granularity is
      whatever works for them. Still, <=10% reduces risk, when unknowns crop
      up, which they will.

      best of luck
      deb

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, kittys shu
      <kittyscalgary@...> wrote:

      > My current research is to conduct an empirical study on the effect
      of Scrum.

      > After several months' effort, the PM I work with finally agreed to
      try scrum in his project.

      > Since everything just started, there are some questions and issues
      appearing.

      > One of his questions is why do we do sub tasking, why don't we
      just end with selecting user stories for current iteration? I gave him
      two points as the answer: 1. sub tasking and time estimation force
      developers to think thoroughly what they are going to do with the user
      stories. So, they may find out that some stories that are originally
      thought feasible become not feasible so that they cannot go into the
      current iteration. This is good for iteration planning and results.

      > 2. when we move the tasks to the "completed" list, healthy peer
      pressure can be achieved.

      > However, he thought these two points are more likely for
      management purpose.

      > How can we persuade developers to do this? Or, in other words,
      what are the big and obvious benefits for them to show their private
      working steps?

      > Find your next car at Yahoo! Canada Autos

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic