10959RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ScrumMaster same as development manager?

  • Mike Dwyer
    Jan 3, 2006
      Again folks, combine the two roles making managers scrum masters. To do
      this organize the daily scrum meeting so that the team (not the scrum
      master) updates the manager after the daily meeting. If the manager has
      more than one team working then the team member - representative - from each
      team all meet with the manager at the same time.

      This may sound like a scrum of scrum meetings. - it is. But more importantly
      it starts to turn over the responsiblilty of a scrum master - 'to plow the
      road' of impediments.

      The scrum master role shifts from driving the scrum process to infusing the
      core of scrum - close communication - into the organization. This allows
      the SM to become a force multiplier.

      It works, too. 6 managers, 2 directors, 3 senior directors, a CIO and a
      COO are now in the loop - every day. The managers have no choice about the
      daily meeting and communicating what happened as their phones start ringing.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
      solution may emerge."