10930Re: ScrumMaster same as development manager?

  • roguedog98
    Jan 1, 2006
      Hey Mike,

      Hmm... mostly correct deductions - the fact that we are involved in
      many projects and our senior engineers tend to be interrupt driven. We
      work on about 20 projects whose average time to complete is about 2-3
      months.

      The 5 people building powerpoints.. well.. not so on target. I think
      those are product managers not project managers.

      So.. a bit more information. I'm a project manager who has gotten SM
      certified but hasn't had an opportunity to use it. We've hired a new
      dev manager who has done scrum before. He's all fired up to convert
      us all to agile/scrum.

      To be truthful, I'm a bit sceptical since he's only been there for 2
      weeks and hasn't really been part of our current environment or even
      part of a project.. or to be truthful seen the team in it's "normal"
      life since it's been the holidays.

      I'm happy he wants to go scrum since I happen to have studied it. I'm
      sceptical that he's proposing this somewhat drastic change with little
      information and that he wants to be the scrum master for all projects
      as opposed to the project managers.

      But aside from all that, I wanted to ask the group if there is some
      sort of conflict or "unscrumness", if you will, of him taking on this
      role when he also has to manage about 25 developers?

      Maybe it's ok but.. I don't know since I've only studied scrum and am
      in no way an experienced scrum master. And, yes, I'm kinda
      disappointed I don't get to use what I learned but I was interested in
      learning if this crossing of roles is ok in the scrum world or perhaps
      under certain conditions since nothing is absolute. And if our
      environment meets those conditions and if it's good for the company,
      then awesome.

      Sorry Mike, I can't really answer your question about expectations. I
      can tell you my hopes for scrum.. and that's ... more accountability,
      more self management, more cross team communication, more projects
      delivered on time... Basically, the typical list from a project
      manager. I can't speak for the new dev mgr's expectation but I think
      it's the same...???

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dwyer"
      <mike.dwyer1@c...> wrote:

      > What you have told me is that there are 70 people working on between
      50 - 75
      > projects and that 5 people have project oversite of teams ranging
      from 1 to
      > n people and that each person is involved in more than one project.
      >
      > So I gather that people are unable to focus due to the interrupts,
      spend a
      > lot of time in meetings asking and answering "where are we?" and
      whom ever
      > in charge is far too busy building powerpoints using data that is at
      least 2
      > weeks old.
      >
      > Now tell me why you think Scrum or Agile can help? (Serious
      question - I
      > need to know what your expectations are.)
      > Michael F. Dwyer
      >
      > "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
      > solution may emerge."
      > "A Plan is a complex situation, adapting to an emerging solution."

    • Show all 34 messages in this topic