10378RE: [scrumdevelopment] (unknown)

  • Dymond, Robin
    Nov 30, 2005
      To further muddy the waters....

      I think software development teams need both Scrum and XP, and Theory of
      Constraints, and Lean Thinking, and....

      Software development methods that are adaptive instead of prescriptive
      are still new, and are just beginning to gain visibility (let alone
      implementation) in large organizations. There is much left to do in this
      space, and some smart insightful people have figured out some very
      effective ideas, setting beacons in the fog for the rest of us. However
      we still have a long ways to go before we can say we have a complete
      body of knowledge.

      From my perspective, XP is the most advanced of the Agile methods in
      terms of its practices. It is also the hardest to adopt because of all
      the personal and organization behaviors that need to change. Scrum is
      only organizational, and therefore is a little easier for transitioning
      teams. Scrum also is complementary to XP software engineering practices,
      these can be adopted over time as the team modifies their skills and

      Introducing XP engineering practices without Agile management practice,
      either scrum or XP, usually has negative consequences, as it adds more
      work to a team, without providing either motivation or recognition of
      the value of the change. The teams will usually reject the practices,
      and say XP doesn't work for them.

      If you fix the inputs to the team - the prioritized backlog, iterations,
      delivering value, then you have an environment to introduce the
      downstream processes such as TDD.

      Robin Dymond
      Conclusive Consulting, Inc.