10368Re: [scrumdevelopment] (unknown)

  • Paul Hodgetts
    Nov 30, 2005
      Ashraf Al Shafaki wrote:

      > With the growing popularity of XP, Scurm has repositioned
      > itself now more towards the project management aspects of
      > software development projects in order to fit itself in the
      > technosphere as a complement to XP rather than a competitor
      > to it.

      I'm kinda curious how you came about making that statement?

      I was just at the recent Scrum Gathering in Boulder, where
      around 50 ScrumMasters, Scrum Practitioners, and Scrum
      Trainers got together with Ken Schwaber, Jeff Sutherland,
      and many other Scrum thought leaders.

      I don't recall anyone talking about repositioning Scrum "more
      towards the project management aspects of software development
      projects." In fact I saw quite the opposite -- there was work
      around a wide variety of all aspects of software development,
      from product management, to organizational culture, to
      supporting Scrum through coaching and consulting, and yes,
      even to technical practices.

      In fact, I heard *more* talk about technical practices this
      year than in previous years, probably spurred on by Jeff
      Sutherland's reports of his experiences with "Type C" Scrums,
      and how they require a lot attention to good, continuous
      testing, integration, builds and release practices.

      Scrum and XP will always be "competitors" in the sense that
      each is a specific collection of practices and strategies as
      a starting point. But each is also intended to be an adaptive
      process, and XP practices often fit well with Scrum practices,
      and vice versa. Scrum is less inclusive and prescriptive in
      its practices, specifically engineering practices, than XP,
      but I don't think that implies they are not intended to be
      part of Scrum (or an implementation of Scrum).

      I think project management is a hot topic in the entire agile
      community right now, as agile continues to expand to address
      more areas of development and the development life cycle. So
      I think we see a lot of project management-related postings
      on the list, but I'm not seeing that as some sort of shift in
      emphasis in Scrum or a specialization on just that aspect of
      development. At least not with the practitioners I meet.

      Regards,
      Paul
      -----
      Paul Hodgetts -- CEO, Coach, Trainer, Consultant
      Agile Logic -- www.agilelogic.com
      Training, Coaching, Consulting -- Agile Processes/Scrum/Lean/XP
      Complete solutions for adopting agile processes, Scrum and XP.
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic