Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News

  • Kevin Gerke
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
      Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
        I think once things are considered out of print and no longer available and are a certain amount of age then the copyright is no longer valid. But you would have to check it out. If the books are no longer published than the designers are no longer getting money for them anyway.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Gerke <fontanateacher@...> wrote:

        > Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Cliff. Johnston
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
          Yeah, most people have no idea what it takes to write a joke that will go over well with an audience.  Typically it takes 1 to 4 years for a comic to get a routine together.  Headliners mostly buy their jokes.  For instance, Jeff Foxworthy was going nowhere fast until he paid some $20,000 for a routine and hit the big time - you might be a redneck if....  A successful comic may have 6 or more writers on his staff.  A hit singer may have 40 song writers and 20 lyricists that he/she draws from (and pays).  Entertainment is a big, cutthroat business.  If someone is caught "stealing" another comic's jokes the "thief" will be blackballed by the industry and have to find another line of work.  This was in part due to Jackie Gleason who never wrote a joke in his life but stole just about all of his jokes from other comics.  The big difference though was that Gleason had the knack for polishing a joke and making it go over big with an audience;
          whereas, the comic from whom he stole the joke just plodded on in obscurity.

          ________________________________
          Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

          ________________________________

          Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

          Karl Taylor
          www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

          > To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
          > From: mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com
          > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
          > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
          >
          > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
          >
          > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
          >
          > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
          >
          > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
          >
          > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
          >

          > Kevin
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Cliff. Johnston
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
            It's a fairly long time and has nothing to do with a book being out of print.

            On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Gerke <mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com> wrote:

            > Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

          • Ed Anderson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
              The copyright is valid on anything that has been published since about 1950. The average copyright is for the lifetime of the author plus 17 years. While the book may no longer be in print, maintaining the copyright allows the author to republish the book at a later date.

              Ed