Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hello,
      I am looking to complete my collection of Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News. I am missing issue #s 1 & 5. I am willing to buy them outright or I have duplicates of #s 21, 22, 24 and 25 for trade.

      I've been watching on Ebay but can't seem to get these last 2 issues.

      Thanx...Brian
    • Kevin Gerke
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
        I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.

        I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19

        I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.

        I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.

        Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.

        Kevin

        ________________________________
        I am looking to complete my collection of Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News. I am missing issue #s 1 & 5. I am willing to buy them outright or I have duplicates of #s 21, 22, 24 and 25 for trade.

        I've been watching on Ebay but can't seem to get these last 2 issues.

        Thanx...Brian

      • Karl Taylor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
          Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

          Karl Taylor
          www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

          > To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
          > From: fontanateacher@...
          > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
          > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
          >
          > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
          >
          > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
          >
          > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
          >
          > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
          >
          > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
          >

          > Kevin
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Cliff. Johnston
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
            Yes, I can give you a first hand experience about how important copyright laws are.  My son was a professional comedian before he was disabled.  He used to do a gig in a club in Toronto on Wednesdays.  One of the TV writers for a sit-com used to come in to see his gigs.  Colin wrote all of his own material and before his injury was considered one of the best of the new comedian crop.  He also wrote and performed clean - no 4 letter words, a rarity these days.  Colin tuned in the TV show one night just to see what it was all about.  He quickly became royally pissed!  The writer who was watching his gigs was using some of his material for the sit-com.  Colin said nothing and watched several more episodes of the program - same theft of material from him.  Finally he told the club owner what was going on.  The owner showed the TV writer the door.  Obviously my son received no payment for his material from the producer of the TV show.
            Copyright theft hurts those who produce the work, and it hurts them badly.  Please, don't do it.

            Cliff.

            ________________________________
            Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

            Karl Taylor
            www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

            > To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
            > From: mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com
            > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
            > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
            >
            > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
            >
            > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
            >
            > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
            >
            > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
            >
            > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
            >

            > Kevin
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Kevin Gerke
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
              You know, I totally agree with you that scanning and distributing copyrighted items that can be purchased is wrong. So here's my question...how does one see the newsletters when none are available anywhere?

              If you can point me in a direction to find a 17 year old newsletter, I'd appreciate it. I've purchased dozens of Spielman books but some of the newsletter patterns aren't in them. Plus, I can't even know what patterns are in the newsletters I don't have to see if they are in my books. It turns out that the only reason I got these newsletters is because the original owner died of renal cancer. (internet makes the world smaller)

              ________________________________
              Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

              Karl Taylor
              www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

              > To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
              > From: fontanateacher@...
              > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
              > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
              >
              > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
              >
              > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
              >
              > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
              >
              > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
              >
              > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
              >

              > Kevin
              >

              > ________________________________

            • J P
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                Try

                http://www.powells.com/

                  Leave a Smile
                  Jack

              • Cliff. Johnston
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                  One time copies for educational purposes, which yours would be, are allowed under the copyright laws.

                  ________________________________
                  You know, I totally agree with you that scanning and distributing copyrighted items that can be purchased is wrong. So here's my question...how does one see the newsletters when none are available anywhere?

                  If you can point me in a direction to find a 17 year old newsletter, I'd appreciate it. I've purchased dozens of Spielman books but some of the newsletter patterns aren't in them. Plus, I can't even know what patterns are in the newsletters I don't have to see if they are in my books. It turns out that the only reason I got these newsletters is because the original owner died of renal cancer. (internet makes the world smaller)

                  ________________________________
                  Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

                  Karl Taylor
                  www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

                  > To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
                  > From: mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com
                  > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
                  >
                  > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
                  >
                  > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
                  >
                  > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
                  >
                  > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
                  >

                  > Kevin
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Kevin Gerke
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                    Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

                    ________________________________

                    Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

                    Karl Taylor
                    www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

                    > To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
                    > From: mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com
                    > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
                    > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
                    >
                    > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
                    >
                    > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
                    >
                    > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
                    >
                    > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
                    >
                    > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
                    >

                    > Kevin
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Daniel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                      I think once things are considered out of print and no longer available and are a certain amount of age then the copyright is no longer valid. But you would have to check it out. If the books are no longer published than the designers are no longer getting money for them anyway.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Gerke <fontanateacher@...> wrote:

                      > Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Cliff. Johnston
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                        Yeah, most people have no idea what it takes to write a joke that will go over well with an audience.  Typically it takes 1 to 4 years for a comic to get a routine together.  Headliners mostly buy their jokes.  For instance, Jeff Foxworthy was going nowhere fast until he paid some $20,000 for a routine and hit the big time - you might be a redneck if....  A successful comic may have 6 or more writers on his staff.  A hit singer may have 40 song writers and 20 lyricists that he/she draws from (and pays).  Entertainment is a big, cutthroat business.  If someone is caught "stealing" another comic's jokes the "thief" will be blackballed by the industry and have to find another line of work.  This was in part due to Jackie Gleason who never wrote a joke in his life but stole just about all of his jokes from other comics.  The big difference though was that Gleason had the knack for polishing a joke and making it go over big with an audience;
                        whereas, the comic from whom he stole the joke just plodded on in obscurity.

                        ________________________________
                        Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

                        ________________________________

                        Please don't scan and send the newsletters. This is considered copyright theft.Designers lose money when this happens and in the end, everyone feels the effect.

                        Karl Taylor
                        www.scrollsawvideo.comwww.puzzlesofwood.comwww.triviaforyou.comwww.learntoeditvideo.blogspot.comwww.scrollsawvideo.blogspot.comwww.gwinnwttwoodworkersassoc.blogspot.comwww.videosforwoodworkers.blogspot.com

                        > To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
                        > From: mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com
                        > Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 23:19:31 -0700
                        > Subject: Re: scrollsawing Patrick Spielman's Home Workshop News
                        >
                        > I just found some copies last week in a used book store. I had heard he had them but hadn't seen them.
                        >
                        > I picked up Issues 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19
                        >
                        > I am also trying to complete this collection so I would be very interested in your duplicates but all I have for you is that I could scan each page of issue 5 and email them to you. That wouldn't be hard to do. 16 pages worth.
                        >
                        > I'm also trying to get ahold of issue 1. I don't know where to look for it specifically. I think I may know the person who originally ordered the issues sent to him. I'll try to find him.
                        >
                        > Let me know if you want me to scan and email those pages or you only want the real magazines. I've been scanning a lot of my books and magazines into the computer. Makes it easier to organize and then print. No having to go to Kinkos to make a copy.
                        >

                        > Kevin
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Cliff. Johnston
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                          It's a fairly long time and has nothing to do with a book being out of print.

                          On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Kevin Gerke <mailto:fontanateacher%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                          > Back in the 90's there was a comedian who came to my town in Montana. He used some jokes that I heard from a sit-com. I approached him about it and he said they were originally his and the guy on tv used his material. I'll be honest and thought he was full of bull. I guess I shouldn't have judged so quickly....may have been the same guy!

                        • Ed Anderson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                            The copyright is valid on anything that has been published since about 1950. The average copyright is for the lifetime of the author plus 17 years. While the book may no longer be in print, maintaining the copyright allows the author to republish the book at a later date.

                            Ed