Re: scrollsawing Should Have listened to the Experts

  • Gene Hahn
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 29, 2013
      I have a floor model drill press from Harbor Freight that hasn't given
      me a bit of trouble in 12 years. On the other hand, I have a small
      buffer from HF that I've had for less than 3 months and already has
      problems. Their quality varies wildly.

      On 4/26/2013 10:22 AM, Moj wrote:

      > Harbor Freight is great depending on what you're looking for. I have a
      > small drill press that I've had no problems with, and I got a pocket
      > hole jig for half the price of a Kreg that works fine, BUT I bought a
      > router that didn't fit my router table and a grinder that died after 2
      > uses. The good thing is that they're pretty good about returns, well
      > at least if you have a good reason, like yours Dan.

    • Thomas Sevy
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 29, 2013
        RE: Harbor Freight
        Today I bought a 1" x 30" belt sander for fine sanding of scrolling
        projects. I think it will work well for what I want. I just hope ie lasts.
        given that it's not going to get heavy use, I think it will. I bought a
        small bench-top drill press a couple of months ago. It is working great.

        there is a place about a half mile from me that does powder coating. Does
        any one know if you can powder coat wood? I'm to start cutting a star with
        considerable fret work. It is to be illuminated with a small bulb. If
        feasible I'd like to power coat it so it will hold up in the rain.

        If anyone has experience or knowledge of this, pleast let me know.

        Tom Sevy in Salt Lake City, Utah

      • Lloyd Collins
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 29, 2013
          Besides the used market, look into refurbished tools. I got my Dewalt
          as a refurb and saved almost $200. No difference that I could tell from
          a new one.
          Lloyd
        • Daniel Lynch
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
            Props to Harbor Freight good return policy. I did get a orbital sander for 8.99. Now on to Lowes to get my saw.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
              You were right took the saw back last night with no problem.

              Dan

              ________________________________
              From: daniellynch555 <mailto:daniellynch555%40yahoo.com>
              To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, April 26, 2013, 8:09 AM

              Well I tried to go cheap and went to Harbor tool for a Scrollsaw don't do it. I opened it up no instruction book, next I noticed the blade was upside down, the tools to change the blade are not the right size. Needless to say taking it back this weekend. Going to Lowes to get another Porter-Cable its a little more but worth it. I should always listen to the experts here.

              Dan

              It is like the old saying "you get what you pay for". IMO it is always best to go with name brand products, and hope you get the most for your buck!
              woodchux

              <!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity
              span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active,
              div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica,
              clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

            • Don Richardson
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                Absolutely Lloyd and if it's factory reconditioned you'll see that its model
                number has changed from 788 to 788R.
                 Don Richardson
                Pearland Texas

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                  Speaking of Lowe's [this may help someone] if you are active or retired
                  military, break out your ID card; it'll get you10%. [[ on everything! ]].
                   Don Richardson
                  Pearland Texas

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                    Don and everyone,

                    Where would you search for a reconditioned saw?

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                      As long as you have a copy of your DD214 you can get the discount

                      Semper Fi
                      Dan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Lynch <daniellynch555@...> wrote:

                        > Don and everyone,
                        >
                        > Where would you search for a reconditioned saw?
                        >
                        > Ebay may be a good start. Some cities have factor shops that can get refurbished equipment.

                        Rodger
                      • Don Richardson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                          I typed DW788R into Google and found several references; there is one below. The
                          availability of the various "R" models. It looks like they want about $450 for
                          this one.

                          http://www.cpopowertools.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-dw788r-20-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw/dewrdw788r,default,pd.html?cgid=dewalt-scroll-saws

                           Don Richardson
                          Pearland Texas

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                            You just need your VA card at Lowes and Home Depot they are both 10%. You have to ask and show your card.
                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                              Dan with the original packaging and your receipt take it back, they have a warranty. Worse case scenario is they give you store credit and I cannot think of anyone that can walk in to that toy store and not spend at least $70. My wife spends at least that everytime she goes with me.(:
                              Bill

                              --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "daniellynch555" <daniellynch555@...> wrote:

                              > Well I tried to go cheap and went to Harbor tool for a Scrollsaw don't do it. I opened it up no instruction book, next I noticed the blade was upside down, the tools to change the blade are not the right size. Needless to say taking it back this weekend. Going to Lowes to get another Porter-Cable its a little more but worth it. I should always listen to the experts here.
                              >
                              > Dan

                            • Lloyd Collins
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 30, 2013
                                I found mine on the Dewalt website.
                                Lloyd
                              • Thomas Sevy
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                  You said you got a refurbished DeWalt. What was your source? I really like
                                  my DeWalt that I got at Woodcraft about a month ago. The best thing I like
                                  over the Hegner is the ease of tensioning - and putting LOTS of tension
                                  when I want it. I have one of those expensive things to hold up the upper
                                  arm while threading the blade through a hole. It is called a 4" long piece
                                  of 2x4 lumber.

                                  Tom Sevy in Salt Lake

                                • Thomas Sevy
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                    Harbor Frieght for a scroll saw.

                                    I have bought a lot of things at Harbor frieght. Some I kept, some I took
                                    back. This past week I bought a 1" belt sander. I took it home and tried to
                                    assemble it. Couldn't figure it out. Took it to Harbor Frieght, only a mile
                                    from my house. One of the employees spent over a half-hour and couldn't
                                    figure it out either. They gave me my money back without question. Perphaps
                                    their no-questions policy of making customers happy is great.

                                    Tom

                                    PS: I suggest you return the scroll saw and get a DeWalt.

                                  • Karlscut
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                      Have the,same sander and love it. I assembled it by the pic, not the instructions.

                                      Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphone