Re: scrollsawing Re: Should Have listened to the Experts

  • Haydut1200
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 28 11:27 AM
      I have no problems with the Hegner, it takes me a few seconds to change
      a blade, or feed the blade through a drilled hole. I bought a 'quick
      clamp' for the top arm, but even before that I didn't think it took an
      excessive amount of time to change a blade. Having said that, I don't
      make money from the saw, so time isn't really a problem anyway.

      I'm glad it works OK for me as the Dewalt isn't available in the UK and
      I have yet to see a used Excalibur for sale here. A new one is well out
      of my price range.

      stan mashek wrote:
      > Hi Tom I agree with you that the Dewalt 788 is a great saw for the money. I have a Hegner 18 inch and to change the blades is a real pain and time consuming. The table on the HEGNER is small and the Dewalt has a larger table. The only thing on the Dewalt is the top arm will not stay up when changing blades but you can order a little deal to attach on the arm that works great cost about 19 dollars and easy to put on two or three screws. Happy scrolling. thanks stan
      > To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
      > From: tsevy99@...
      > Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 05:34:50 -0600
      > Subject: scrollsawing Re: Should Have listened to the Experts

    • Daniel Lynch
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 29 4:49 AM
        That is my long range plan. Putting a percentage away of what I make with the dewalt in mind

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 29 8:36 AM
          I have a floor model drill press from Harbor Freight that hasn't given
          me a bit of trouble in 12 years. On the other hand, I have a small
          buffer from HF that I've had for less than 3 months and already has
          problems. Their quality varies wildly.

          On 4/26/2013 10:22 AM, Moj wrote:

          > Harbor Freight is great depending on what you're looking for. I have a
          > small drill press that I've had no problems with, and I got a pocket
          > hole jig for half the price of a Kreg that works fine, BUT I bought a
          > router that didn't fit my router table and a grinder that died after 2
          > uses. The good thing is that they're pretty good about returns, well
          > at least if you have a good reason, like yours Dan.

        • Thomas Sevy
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 29 1:24 PM
            RE: Harbor Freight
            Today I bought a 1" x 30" belt sander for fine sanding of scrolling
            projects. I think it will work well for what I want. I just hope ie lasts.
            given that it's not going to get heavy use, I think it will. I bought a
            small bench-top drill press a couple of months ago. It is working great.

            there is a place about a half mile from me that does powder coating. Does
            any one know if you can powder coat wood? I'm to start cutting a star with
            considerable fret work. It is to be illuminated with a small bulb. If
            feasible I'd like to power coat it so it will hold up in the rain.

            If anyone has experience or knowledge of this, pleast let me know.

            Tom Sevy in Salt Lake City, Utah

          • Lloyd Collins
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 29 2:57 PM
              Besides the used market, look into refurbished tools. I got my Dewalt
              as a refurb and saved almost $200. No difference that I could tell from
              a new one.
              Lloyd
            • Daniel Lynch
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 30 5:15 AM
                Props to Harbor Freight good return policy. I did get a orbital sander for 8.99. Now on to Lowes to get my saw.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 30 6:19 AM
                  You were right took the saw back last night with no problem.

                  Dan

                  ________________________________
                  From: daniellynch555 <mailto:daniellynch555%40yahoo.com>
                  To: mailto:scrollsawing%40yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Friday, April 26, 2013, 8:09 AM

                  Well I tried to go cheap and went to Harbor tool for a Scrollsaw don't do it. I opened it up no instruction book, next I noticed the blade was upside down, the tools to change the blade are not the right size. Needless to say taking it back this weekend. Going to Lowes to get another Porter-Cable its a little more but worth it. I should always listen to the experts here.

                  Dan

                  It is like the old saying "you get what you pay for". IMO it is always best to go with name brand products, and hope you get the most for your buck!
                  woodchux

                  <!-- #ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px; } #ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0; } #ygrp-mkp #ads { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad { padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad p { margin: 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } #actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } #activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity
                  span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active,
                  div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica,
                  clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; } -->

                • Don Richardson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 30 10:14 AM
                    Absolutely Lloyd and if it's factory reconditioned you'll see that its model
                    number has changed from 788 to 788R.
                     Don Richardson
                    Pearland Texas

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 30 10:20 AM
                      Speaking of Lowe's [this may help someone] if you are active or retired
                      military, break out your ID card; it'll get you10%. [[ on everything! ]].
                       Don Richardson
                      Pearland Texas

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 30 10:53 AM
                        Don and everyone,

                        Where would you search for a reconditioned saw?

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 30 10:54 AM
                          As long as you have a copy of your DD214 you can get the discount

                          Semper Fi
                          Dan

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 30 1:49 PM
                            --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Lynch <daniellynch555@...> wrote:

                            > Don and everyone,
                            >
                            > Where would you search for a reconditioned saw?
                            >
                            > Ebay may be a good start. Some cities have factor shops that can get refurbished equipment.

                            Rodger
                          • Don Richardson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 30 6:17 PM
                              I typed DW788R into Google and found several references; there is one below. The
                              availability of the various "R" models. It looks like they want about $450 for
                              this one.

                              http://www.cpopowertools.com/factory-reconditioned-dewalt-dw788r-20-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw/dewrdw788r,default,pd.html?cgid=dewalt-scroll-saws

                               Don Richardson
                              Pearland Texas

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 30 6:33 PM
                                You just need your VA card at Lowes and Home Depot they are both 10%. You have to ask and show your card.
                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 30 6:39 PM
                                  Dan with the original packaging and your receipt take it back, they have a warranty. Worse case scenario is they give you store credit and I cannot think of anyone that can walk in to that toy store and not spend at least $70. My wife spends at least that everytime she goes with me.(:
                                  Bill

                                  --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "daniellynch555" <daniellynch555@...> wrote:

                                  > Well I tried to go cheap and went to Harbor tool for a Scrollsaw don't do it. I opened it up no instruction book, next I noticed the blade was upside down, the tools to change the blade are not the right size. Needless to say taking it back this weekend. Going to Lowes to get another Porter-Cable its a little more but worth it. I should always listen to the experts here.
                                  >
                                  > Dan

                                • Lloyd Collins
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 30 11:35 PM
                                    I found mine on the Dewalt website.
                                    Lloyd
                                  • Thomas Sevy
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                      You said you got a refurbished DeWalt. What was your source? I really like
                                      my DeWalt that I got at Woodcraft about a month ago. The best thing I like
                                      over the Hegner is the ease of tensioning - and putting LOTS of tension
                                      when I want it. I have one of those expensive things to hold up the upper
                                      arm while threading the blade through a hole. It is called a 4" long piece
                                      of 2x4 lumber.

                                      Tom Sevy in Salt Lake

                                    • Thomas Sevy
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                        Harbor Frieght for a scroll saw.

                                        I have bought a lot of things at Harbor frieght. Some I kept, some I took
                                        back. This past week I bought a 1" belt sander. I took it home and tried to
                                        assemble it. Couldn't figure it out. Took it to Harbor Frieght, only a mile
                                        from my house. One of the employees spent over a half-hour and couldn't
                                        figure it out either. They gave me my money back without question. Perphaps
                                        their no-questions policy of making customers happy is great.

                                        Tom

                                        PS: I suggest you return the scroll saw and get a DeWalt.

                                      • Karlscut
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 1, 2013
                                          Have the,same sander and love it. I assembled it by the pic, not the instructions.

                                          Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphone