Re: scrollsawing Re: New member

  • Bud Johnson
    Message 1 of 40 , Feb 13, 2013
      The right wood for the right project is a must.

      We have found sugar pine great for kids toys, it is easy to cut.

      We use some palette wood at fairs for kids quick cutouts,  It is marginal at best but with the volume we turn out wood cost becomes a factor.

      After visiting Judy Gale Roberts studio in Tennessee we are convinced there is no substitute for good quality wood.  If you ever are able to visit her studio or take her class she can tell you about one of the greatest places to buy wood,  we bring back  pieces each time we visit that area.  There are a number of places to buy a good variety of wood on the internet.

      Since we do mostly intarsia and inlays there is no substitute for quality  woods.  Although we have has some success with "corner wood" it can be quite frustrating.  For example avocado is great except it almost always cracks before you are done.  Spruce cuts well buy is not very impressive without a good stain.  Old furniture pieces (often brittle) can be awesome.  Basically if you find a piece of wood make some sawdust and if it works for you, great, if not move on.

      rodger

    • jimcoogan
      Message 40 of 40 , Feb 24, 2013
        Thanks Daniel. I look forward to learning a lot.

        Jim