Fragile Cuts

  • daniellynch555
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
      Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any ideas?

      DAN
    • Rob Mills
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
        When I was doing a lot of scroll work for a couple of women who advertised
        in the Country Sampler magazine umpteen years ago I always made patterns
        from 1/8 inch masonite and just traced around the pattern to the wood. I
        stored the pattern for future use as they always reordered items. The first
        order took a dab more time but the next order was a wiz and I always stack
        cut as much as I could, time = $$.

        > Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After
        > cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while
        > removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any
        > ideas?
        >
        > DAN

      • warrenk
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
          Dan, If you don't want to use thicker wood, use two pieces of 1/8" wood and glue them together with the grain running 90 degrees to each other. Thin plywood is another option. Every christmas I make about 60 angels out of 1/32" plywood, spray paint them white and give them away.
          Warren

          --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "daniellynch555" <daniellynch555@...> wrote:

          > Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any ideas?
          >
          > DAN

        • Bill Gunville
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
            You might try using blue painters tape on the wood and pattern applied on the tape. I use thin woods for fret cuts with little problems using this method.

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Barry Strate
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
              Dan,
                 I cut most of my projects from 1/4" red oak or poplar (cuz it's the cheapest, easiest wood to get in my area). Generally I use glue sticks on the backs of the patterns then apply to the wood. Someone here gave me the idea to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to dab the pattern after cutting, for removal. Works great. It peels off quite easily. I have also found, by blunting the end of various sized dowels, I can scrape the patterns off even easier. Though you must be careful with really delicate cuts, particularly if you are working with plywood.

              ________________________________
              Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any ideas?

              DAN

            • Jeffrey Pashkevich
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                Dan

                I use1/4 inch brich wood fragile cuts .I glue the  pattern on with semi perm spray glue . I use mineral spirits to take the pattern off. I have no troubles with breakage  or gettin the pattern off.IT WORK GREAT

                Jeff

                ________________________________
                Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any ideas?

                DAN

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                  --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "warrenk" <warren59@...> wrote:

                  > Dan, If you don't want to use thicker wood, use two pieces of 1/8" wood and glue them together with the grain running 90 degrees to each other. Thin plywood is another option. Every christmas I make about 60 angels out of 1/32" plywood, spray paint them white and give them away.
                  > Warren

                  Plywood always has an odd number of layers to help it resist warping.
                • minimegal@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Dan - I usually use packing tape, glue the pattern on top of the tape with 3M 777 spray adhesive (or run it through my Xyron with a permanent or temporary adhesive cartridge) - and then place another piece of packing tape on top of the pattern.  When I am finished cutting, I just carefully get a fingernail or X-Acto knife under the edge of the bottom piece of packing tape, peel off all three layers and the wood is perfectly clean. Have not had anything break using this method even with 1/8" wood and best of all, no messy residue left on the finished piece and no bits of the pattern flopping in the wind when I cut tiny details. I have also used clear contact paper rather than packing tape.  It also comes off cleanly and maybe a bit easier than the packing tape.

                    And Warren - I love the idea of gluing the two pieces together at right angles.  If I run into a problem, I will try this for sure.

                    Meg

                  • RICHARD CARTER
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                      I use a heat gun to get the patterns off when I'm finished,works well

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2012
                        The heat gun works but u have to be careful of small intercate cuts they will burn :)..
                        I have been using blue painters tape on wood applying patterns on tape, works relatively good also.
                        Sometimes thicker dosn't look as good, plus the weight factor depending on the usage
                        Of finished piece and the bright side to oops is kindling.
                        Enjoy making saw dust.
                        Bill

                        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD CARTER <rmcarter93003@...> wrote:

                        > I use a heat gun to get the patterns off when I'm finished,works well

                      • Karl Taylor
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                          I have a short video on the method which I currently use. This has worked for me for almost 20 years now and never had a problem.

                          www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nxxhnYj7jw

                          Karl Taylor

                          Tayco Designs
                          Custom Scrollsaw and Fretwork

                          WWW.TRIVIAFORYOU.COM
                          WWW.SCROLLSAWVIDEO.COM
                          WWW.PUZZLESOFWOOD.COM

                          > To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: daniellynch555@...
                          > Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 19:16:09 +0000
                          > Subject: scrollsawing Fragile Cuts
                          >
                          > Having trouble after cutting fragile angel out of 1/4 inch wood. After cutting I was talking off the pattern to have the wing break while removing the pattern. I think I need to make the Angel thicker wood. any ideas?
                          >
                          > DAN

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                            --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, Karl Taylor <Karlscut@...> wrote:

                            > I have a short video on the method which I currently use. This has worked for me for almost 20 years now and never had a problem.
                            >
                            > www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nxxhnYj7jw

                            That is because you never discovered this yet:

                            http://www.utrechtart.com/3M-Spray-Mount-Artist-s-Adhesive--10-25oz-MP38590-i1015490.utrecht

                            Yeah I know expensive as sin. But it is really nice. I've used it for what it is meant for, mounting frisket paper for air brushing. Frisket paper is stupid costly too. But all of that stuff works so well you can actually reuse your patterns. That has to be worth something.
                          • Daniel Lynch
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2012
                              Thank you everyone your input helps