Sanding strips.

  • kenneth
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 24, 2011
      Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.
    • godsword
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 25, 2011
        Hi, I can only offer the following.

        Here in America, the women buy packages of sanding strips for sanding
        their finger nails. The strips have sandpaper on both sides, are about 4
        inches long and 1/2 inches wide. Their cost is very low compared to
        the cost of the special made sanding strips they sell for Scroll saws. I
        take one of these strips and cut it in half lengthwise. This give me two
        strips of 1/4 inch wide by 4 inch long, and I found that they clamp up
        just fine in my Scroll Saw just like a blade does. I have even cut some
        into three strips for a narrower sanding strip.

        Perhaps you may have the same type of sanding strips over there for
        women to file their finger nails.

      • Lorne Pultz
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 25, 2011
          Ken:
          Have you tried Lee Valley Tools located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. They ship to just about every destination in the world and their products/Tools are the best. If you wish to contact me directly please use lhprcaf@.... I used to reside in the Nottingham area until my father was transfered back to Canada in 1959 so I like to get in contact with people. friends and relatives located in the UK.
          Lorne
          Pincher Creek
          Alberta
          Canada
          two hours south of Calgary and the stampede city. (also a location of a Lee Valley Store)

          Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

        • keith gutshall
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 25, 2011
            Hello Group
            I am kind of new to scrollsawing,what are sanding strips?
             How do you use them? Do they fit in the saw to use them?
            A little help would be good.
             Thanks
            Keith
            Deep Run Portage
            Back Shop
            " The Lizard Works"

            Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

          • Kathie
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 25, 2011
              Hi Kenneth,
              This company appears to be in the UK. Maybe this will work for you.
              Kathie/Cape Cod/USA

              http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/info.php

              Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

            • godswordj
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 26, 2011
                --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "kenneth" <gardeners5@...> wrote:

                > Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

                Hi, I can only offer the following.

                Here in America, the women buy packages of sanding strips for sanding their finger nails. The strips have sandpaper on both sides, are about 4 inches long and 1/2 inches wide. Their cost is very low compared to the cost of the special made sanding strips they sell for Scroll saws. I take one of these strips and cut it in half lengthwise. This give me two strips of 1/4 inch wide by 4 inch long, and I found that they clamp up just fine in my Scroll Saw just like a blade does. I have even cut some into three strips for a narrower sanding strip.

                Perhaps you may have the same type of sanding strips over there for women to file their finger nails.
              • Bill Gunville
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 26, 2011
                  That is a great idea, thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to use this one.

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • Kathie
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 26, 2011
                    Great idea! and they're certainly readily available!

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 26, 2011
                      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "kenneth" <gardeners5@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

                      With a can of spray adhesive glue and some sandpaper everything is a potential sanding tool! One trick I've done is to take an old hacksaw blade and spray glue stick some sand paper to it, great for fine tuning dovetail joints I've found, in a hacksaw frame of course. Any block of wood or foam or Popsicle stick can be a sanding block, piece of pipe anything. I'm sure you could even glue some folded over sandpaper to an old scrollsaw blade if you've the mind to.

                      Spray adhesive is one of those got to have it things in my shop. I even use it to stick sandpaper onto my disc sander. That stuff in the tube never works for me.

                      I just love spray adhesive! Also it is the thing for when a wasp gets into my garage. They don't fly too well with their wings glued to their bodies you know?
                    • moj
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 26, 2011
                        I love this too!! God knows with 3 daughters and my wife, I have enough kicking around!! LOL

                        Dave

                        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Kathie" <kmolenaa@...> wrote:

                        > Great idea! and they're certainly readily available!

                      • stan mashek
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1 11:02 PM
                          Hi There
                          One thing i do is when i go to Starbucks coffee house i just pick up a couple extra wooden stir sticks and then spray sandpaper and just stick it on the wooden stick. YOU CAN MAKE SEVERAL AT ONE TIME AND SHAPE THE END OF THE WOODEN STICK TO POINTS OR ROUNDED AND ANY SIZE YOU WANT. This works great and really better than anything you can buy on the market. When the sandpaper gets worn out just take it off and sand a little and spray on the wooden stick and put another piece of sandpaper on and just trim any over hang with a pair of old scissors. STAN M

                          To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
                          From: pfrederick1@...
                          Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:30:50 +0000
                          Subject: scrollsawing Re: make your own Sanding strips with spray glue

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 2 5:29 AM
                            --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, stan mashek <KESTAR2@...> wrote:

                            > Hi There
                            > One thing i do is when i go to Starbucks coffee house i just pick up a couple extra wooden stir sticks and then spray sandpaper and just stick it on the wooden stick. YOU CAN MAKE SEVERAL AT ONE TIME AND SHAPE THE END OF THE WOODEN STICK TO POINTS OR ROUNDED AND ANY SIZE YOU WANT. This works great and really better than anything you can buy on the market. When the sandpaper gets worn out just take it off and sand a little and spray on the wooden stick and put another piece of sandpaper on and just trim any over hang with a pair of old scissors. STAN M

                            Being as I've never been to a Starbucks I just dig around in my scrap wood collection for something to glue sandpaper to. I have an unlimited variety of different pieces to choose from.

                            I bet even contact cement would work for doing this but I've had that stuff turn into a snot-ball on me and I just love spray glue!

                            When I scissor cut sandpaper I try to use the older screw pivot scissors myself. They're a lot easier to resharpen. Although I have one really old heavy pair that so far doesn't even seem to mind the abuse. Single action tin snips do the trick too.

                            Like these:
                            http://www.labsafety.com/images/xl/Wiss-Tinners-Snips-LSS-_i_LBM64530Z.jpg

                            Now I'm thinking if I just grind the rivet out of a new pair of scissors and replace it with a nut and screw I can make it sort of like the old style. I'm going to have to try that and see how it works.
                          • jim
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 30 11:49 AM
                              --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "kenneth" <gardeners5@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Scrollsawers.Does anyone know a source of sanding strips for the scrollsaw available in the Britain. They seem to be listed and available in America but they will not post them here.Your advice apreciated. Thanks Ken.

                              What I have been doing for years is to take the top metal strips from pendaflex folders and cutting them to the same length as a scroll saw blade then with two pairs of pliers twisting a 90 degree bend in both ends. Then with diferent grit sand paper and spray glue you're all set
                              to sand. Speaking of emery boards has any one tried the ones that many dollar stores carry that are metal and has diamond chips on them, three for a buck and they work great for hand sanding.

                              Jim
                            • Paul
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2011
                                --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "jim" <scrolltime10@...> wrote:

                                > --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "kenneth" <gardeners5@> wrote:

                                > What I have been doing for years is to take the top metal strips from pendaflex folders and cutting them to the same length as a scroll saw blade then with two pairs of pliers twisting a 90 degree bend in both ends. Then with diferent grit sand paper and spray glue you're all set
                                > to sand. Speaking of emery boards has any one tried the ones that many dollar stores carry that are metal and has diamond chips on them, three for a buck and they work great for hand sanding.
                                >
                                > Jim

                                I haven't heard about industrial diamonds 3 for a dollar until now. I just loves me them industrial diamonds! So I will have to be looking around for them now that you mention it. Thanks!

                                I'm all about spray glue here already.
                              • Norm Nichols
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 5, 2011
                                  Never tried the diamond files, but will go get some and give them a try.  I use the black (course) emory boards all the time.  I cut them into different sizes.  No telling many of these I go thru so I get my hair cutter to buy them for me thru her supply store.  Cost is about 20 cents each.  Give them a try.

                                  Norm

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 11, 2011
                                    Hi Norm
                                    Good ideal and will try this. Norm do you have any ideal how to keep the glue from drying out. I use Elmers wood glue and after I open it and use the darn nozzle after a few times gets all clogged up with dried glue. Its hard to clean out and after a few times of digging the old hard stuff out the nozzle is ruined. Any help would be appreicated or anyone out there would be appreciated. Have a good week .. Stan M.
                                    my email address is shomaker1@.... thanks stan

                                    To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: norlins01@...
                                    Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 20:25:44 -0700
                                    Subject: Re: scrollsawing Re: Sanding strips.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 11, 2011
                                      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, stan mashek <KESTAR2@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Norm
                                      > Good ideal and will try this. Norm do you have any ideal how to keep the glue from drying out. I use Elmers wood glue and after I open it and use the darn nozzle after a few times gets all clogged up with dried glue. Its hard to clean out and after a few times of digging the old hard stuff out the nozzle is ruined. Any help would be appreicated or anyone out there would be appreciated. Have a good week .. Stan M.
                                      > my email address is shomaker1@... thanks stan

                                      You mean those tongue like tops right? Where there is an orange sort of tongue looking blade in the middle?

                                      It doesn't really matter as I treat all of my glue bottles the same. I always clean out the dried glue before I use them, and wipe the excess glue off the tip before I close them up with a rag.

                                      Keeping the tips clean seems to help them work better for me. I suppose when it comes to glue you can call me a bit of an anal wiper ;) because after gluing up I clean everything where glue shouldn't be, brushes I used, my bench, clamps, etc. so the bottle top is just part of the ritual I guess.
                                    • Thomas Sevy
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 12, 2011
                                        RE: question about glue drying in the top of the glue bottle.

                                        I close the lid and then store the bottle UPSIDE DOWN.

                                        I keep my glue bottles upside down in a large can. This helps to keep air
                                        out of the bottle opening. This isn't a perfect solution, but it usually
                                        works for me.

                                        Tom Sevy in Salt Lake City

                                      • stan mashek
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 13, 2011
                                          Hi Tom
                                          Thanks for the email and I will try what you said about the glue drying out . thanks allot.. stan m.

                                          To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com