Door Toppers on a Dewalt 788 (20") Scroll Saw

  • marvin_huddleston
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2010
      Hey scrollers,

      I have a Dewalt 788, which is a 20" saw. I want to do some Door Toppers and the patterns are 29-32" wide. I am not blessed with a 30" saw, so what does one do? Wait for some wealthy kind soul to give you an 30" Excalibur (if anyone knows someone like this please introduce me to them!) or cut the piece in half and put it back together when it is complete?

      Marvin in Mesquite Te
    • Joseph Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2010
        I would have to try the pattern but I have cut some 30 inch items on my 21 inch saw. Did some creative cuts. Come in 1 way far as I can the cut the other the rest
         or cut all I can from 1 side and turn the piece and cut the rest out. might have to file some edges to make them smooth. Also might try spiral blades but Im personally not a fan .

        Hope this helps.  but I did do a 38 inch name plate on my EX21.  took some doing but I got all of it.

      • Jonathan55@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2010
          In a message dated 5/1/2010 10:42:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          advanwow@... writes:

          I have a Dewalt 788, which is a 20" saw. I want to do some Door Toppers
          and the patterns are 29-32" wide. I am not blessed with a 30" saw, so what
          does one do? Wait for some wealthy kind soul to give you an 30" Excalibur (if
          anyone knows someone like this please introduce me to them!) or cut the
          piece in half and put it back together when it is complete?

          The pieces aren't 30 inches. Cutting the backer board is possible. I'd to
          the straight edge on the table saw then the curved edge on scroll or band
          saw.

          Jonathan

          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

        • Phil Malavolta
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2010
            Jonathan,
            What I have done in the past is use a spiral blade when it becomes needed. I'll use my normal Flying Dutchman blade then put in a spiral when the depth of the throat is not deep enough.
            I hope this helps.
            Phil
            Demotte, Indiana

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2010
              Hi Phil,

              Thanks but it wasn't my question I was attemping to answer like everyone
              else. Also I believe he was wondering about the saw capacity as in the length
              between the blade and back of the saw. In other words how big a piece of
              wood can be turned without hitting the back of the saw.

              Jonathan

              In a message dated 5/1/2010 11:14:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              pfmala@... writes:

              Jonathan,
              What I have done in the past is use a spiral blade when it becomes needed.
              I'll use my normal Flying Dutchman blade then put in a spiral when the
              depth of the throat is not deep enough.
              I hope this helps.
              Phil
              Demotte, Indiana

              .
              .
              .
              .
              .

            • Kathie
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2010
                What about a spiral blade for working the center, until the project will fit the size the table will accommodate?
                Kathie
                Cape Cod