Pricing work

  • marvin_huddleston
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      List,

      I'd like to hear from others concerning how to price desk name plates and small keychains done at Craft shows. Any thoughts?

      What is a reasonable price (say per letter?) for such an item done on some lesser cost wood? Any wood suggestions wold also be appreciated.

      Marvin in Mesquite, Texas
    • Joseph Adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        I am just about to start doing custom order name plates but I have been doing the keychains (Steeve Good's program) for nearly a year.   I cut mine from Cedar closet liner.  its 1/4 thick.  lots of color variance.  I sell then for 5 dollars each right now but I planed to raise the price to 7 this year.  they sell very well if you have the name handy. I dont have a lot of custom orders for some reason tho when i do I charge an extra 2.50 for S/H. also if it is a long name. say 10 letters or more i'll add 2.5 or more.  Since I cut 4 at a time its not a bad profit. I get told a lot I sell to cheep but in my area its very poor so I do what i can to sell and make some money both.  Hope this helps.  Oh and I set a single proce cause it was just easier than pricing them seperatly.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2010
          I did not catch your name, but thank you for the reply.

          I purchased a box of the cedar which should last a LONG time for this and some other snall projects. I was wondering if you have a stock of common names or just do them as they are ordered?

          I am planning to make these on site at a craft fair type venue.

          Marvin in Mesquite Texas

          --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Adams <advanwow@...> wrote:

          > I am just about to start doing custom order name plates but I have been doing the keychains (Steeve Good's program) for nearly a year.   I cut mine from Cedar closet liner.  its 1/4 thick.  lots of color variance.  I sell then for 5 dollars each right now but I planed to raise the price to 7 this year.  they sell very well if you have the name handy. I dont have a lot of custom orders for some reason tho when i do I charge an extra 2.50 for S/H. also if it is a long name. say 10 letters or more i'll add 2.5 or more.  Since I cut 4 at a time its not a bad profit. I get told a lot I sell to cheep but in my area its very poor so I do what i can to sell and make some money both.  Hope this helps.  Oh and I set a single proce cause it was just easier than pricing them seperatly.

        • Joseph Adams
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2010
            You are very welcome.  The way I did it was I took the top names I could come up with. of course my mother and 11 year old niece came up with a few hundred more.  I started with about 100 on a column with 3/4 cup hooks.  This works short term.  but was hard to take to shows.  I finally came up with a self containing folding display.  Look at the pics on this facebook site of mine and you can see what I mean.the fist link shows my origional set up (was my first year so was learning displays.
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cut-Above/394393614114#!/album.php?aid=278658&id=545375586

            This next link had displays from my last show.

            http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Cut-Above/394393614114

            When ever I get a requested name and its common enough I will cut 3 or 4 at a time.  then I have it for later and add it to my display.  If it is a weird name then I only make the 1.  I buy my rings at hobby lobby when they are on sale but now I will stat buying them in bulk online when I find a good deal. I like the smaller size  rings are better. Hope this helps.

            Joe Adams.
            advanwow@...

          • Norm Nichols
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2010
              I make nameplates out of 5/8" red oak and put them on a base of the same thickness.  Letters are 1.5" high.  My price is $30 for up to and including 10 letters, then $!/letter after that.  They sell well, but I don't push them.

              Norm in Sugar Land, TX

              I'd like to hear from others concerning how to price desk name plates and small keychains done at Craft shows. Any thoughts?

              What is a reasonable price (say per letter?) for such an item done on some lesser cost wood? Any wood suggestions wold also be appreciated.

              Marvin in Mesquite, Texas

            • Tim Seefong
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 22, 2010