Re: from stan : Need help on my Dewalt 788

  • Al Wessel
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
      Stan;

      I looked at my saw and there is no play in the front pieces that holds
      the blade. In looking at the parts breakdown on the saw, it looks
      like maybe some bushings "might" have been left out. I would call the
      place where you purchased it and ask them what they are going to do to
      fix it. The other possibility is to call Dewalt. If it is a new saw,
      it is under warranty for a year and Dewalt should repair it for free.
      The blade tensioner is a concentric that pulls a rod that is attached
      to the back of the saw and raises the whole arm to tension the blade.

      http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/
      This is the web site for Dewalt Service. I did a search for your
      problem and did not come up with any answers. From there you can
      email support and even attach documents or pictures to the email.

      Al Wessel
      Madison, Wisconsin

      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "shomaker1" <KESTAR2@...> wrote:

      > Hi Al
      >
      > Just the portion on the top arm that sticks out has allot of movement.
      > Top arm goes up good without blade put in top holder. Once lower the top
      > arm and put blade in blade holder have to move the tension lever all the
      > way as far as it will go to get enough tension on the blade. If it would
      > only go like to 1 to 3 on lever when i move to the left i think that
      > is correct. Everything else works ok arms go up and down good its just
      > this portion that sticks out on the top arm that can move at least 1/2
      > to 3/4 inch with the blade not attached ..Hope you can advise me how to
      > correct this problem. thanks for your email. Stan Mashek..
      > shomaker1@... <mailto:shomaker1@...>
      >

      > --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Al Wessel" <AlEllen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Are you talking about the top arm on the saw or just the portion that
      > > comes out of the front of the arm?
      > >
      > > Are you putting the tension lever all the way to the left before you
      > > fasten your blade?
      > >
      > > I can move the top arm on my Dewalt up and down when the blade is not
      > > fastened, but once the blade is fastened the tensioner lever moves to
      > > the 1 or 2 position on most of the blades. I usually fasten the bottom
      > > of the blade first, and then fasten the top. This takes up a lot of
      > > the slack in the blade.
      > >
      > > Al Wessel
      > > Madison, WI
      > >
      > > --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "shomaker1" KESTAR2@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Scrollers
      > > > I just brought a Dewalt 788 and the front pivot arm where the blade
      > > > fixes in the blade clamp I can move this maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch then
      > > > when I pull the tension level over to tighten the blade it has to be
      > > > moved as far as it will go. Notice on some videos that this arm
      > doesnt
      > > > move at all on Charles Dearlngs saw and Steve Good's videos. Can you
      > > > tell me how to adust this the manual says nothing about this. Thanks
      > > > for any help..
      > > >
      > > > stan mashek

    • shomaker1
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
        Hi Al
        Thanks for your help and I sent a email to the service center today
        and hope they can help me find the solution to my problem. Maybe
        hear something tomorrow. The saw cuts great that is the only
        problem. How do you like yours. What state are you from. My home
        when in the USA is south of St.Louis. What type scrollsaw do you do?
        Thanks again for your help. I will let you know how things turn out.

        Thanks stan

      • Al Wessel
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2009
          Stan;

          Hope they can come up with a solution.

          I have had my Dewalt for about 5 years now. I had a small Delta and when parts started breaking on it, I decided to look around for a better saw. This one was a demo that they had discounted.

          Most of my sawing is making puzzles. I work in an elementary school and we had a child who had autism that I was working with. I was looking for a way to teach him facial features, so I took his picture, printed it on 8 x 10 photo paper and glued it to 1/4 inch plywood. I then used the scroll saw to cut out his facial features in puzzle shapes. This was about 6 years ago and he still plays with the puzzle. Since then I have made puzzles for most of the teachers in the school. These are of their grandchildren.

          I live in Madison, Wisconsin. Besides scroll sawing, I also make furniture for the house, such as bookcases and computer desk and do some small projects for friends and colleagues.

          Al Wessel
          Madison, WI

        • shomaker1
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2009
            Hi Al
            Thanks for your email and so far have heard nothing back from Dewalt service department but might take a few days. I also sent Rick Hutchinson a email and he suggested tighening the tension bar 3 or 4 more turns clockwise. So yesterday spend most of the morning doing this and after taking apart and putting back together 3 timess its 95% better. The top front pivot part of the arms where the blade clamps in is also better an now te tension is ok at about number 3 setting so feel comfortable with that I wanted to say thanks for your help and will email Rick and thank him for his help as well.AL thanks for your story on helping kids and making puzzles. I have made a few for kids but mainly do all kinds of wooden signs for the home and people where I work just as gifts. Steve Good posted some of my stuff on his web site last week. He is another great guy in the scrollsawers world and always willing to help just a great bunch of people worldwide all enjoying the same thing. I live in mainland china and here very difficult finding anything from wood an blades are impossible to find so have to have someone get from MIKE's and hand carry to me here. They have never saw any scroll saws or how they work just amazing to them. So living here you learn to appreciate every little thing you can get. Thanks again Al and stay in touch and keep up the good work with the kids email anytime you have time love to talk about scrolling and all the good things in life. Have a good day.. stan my email address is shomaker1@...