Re: selling your crafts

  • Bobby
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 29, 2008
      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@...> wrote:

      > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
      > sale, other than Ebay.....?

      Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.
    • alvin nave
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
        my own opinion here, but if you can find local small shows that are not overly priced start there and present your cuttings. keep in mind the envorment, economical sutuation of the target audience, where we live people will not spend a ton on wood but if the price is right they will purchase something since all the answers here are always so short and really do not answer your question thy that. we started at a military base in the BX/px if you have a base near you, give them a call and see if you can set up there. we do a lot of little 25-50 dollar shows and do very well.

        Bobby <btl5521@...> wrote: --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@...> wrote:

        > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
        > sale, other than Ebay.....?

        Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

      • BRENT THOMPSON
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
          I'm not the one who subscribed to this forum, my husband is, but I think selling off of your own website would be the best bet. You can buy software that sets up a web page for you. All you have to do is plug in the information. Some of the software starts at less than $20 at Office Max or other office type stores. I've been intending to do it for my husband and myself, but we've got a 2 1/2 year old son so I haven't had time to do it yet.
          > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
          > sale, other than Ebay.....?

          Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

        • Randy Nokes
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2008
            you could try www.etsy.com

            Randy
            http://nokeswoodworks.com

            Bobby <btl5521@...> wrote:
            --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@...> wrote:

            > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
            > sale, other than Ebay.....?

            Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

          • clubdirt
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2008
              The Web Page is definitely the way to go, whether you pursue the
              previous recomendation or even look to your ISP to assist you in that
              many of these services offer easy to build templates for web pages.

              Take a look at www.networksolutions which is the original source for
              web pages and such for campanies as large as Earthlink. Saves you all
              the garbage that Earthlink directs you to take, so you deal directly
              insted of having a domain name that runs through the second source.

              They also offer services to enhance the site for search engines as
              well as Search Enging submissions.

              GoDaddy.com or Register.com are alternatives.

              Good Luck and sell Too Many items to Keep Up! :>)

              Steve in GB

              --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "BRENT THOMPSON" <pippen53@...>

              Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@> wrote:

              > > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things
              for
              > > sale, other than Ebay.....?
              > >
              > Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

            • Dr. Eyman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2008
                There is a lot of freeware out there also and some of it is very good.
                Just do a google on "freeware web design"

                Roger in CO

                wrote:

                > I'm not the one who subscribed to this forum, my husband is, but I
                think selling off of your own website would be the best bet. You can
                buy software that sets up a web page for you. All you have to do is
                plug in the information. Some of the software starts at less than $20
                at Office Max or other office type stores. I've been intending to do
                it for my husband and myself, but we've got a 2 1/2 year old son so I
                haven't had time to do it yet.
              • Ready Resources.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2008
                  I have been selling on ebay and websites for years. There are many easy-to use software solutions that you can use to create your website. The software I use is a little more advance than what you would want at this point, plus you would need a merchant account to accept the credit card payments.

                  PayPal allows you to set up a free stre which will allow you to accept PayPal payments, which you need to be able to do anyway if you sell on ebay.

                  Google has what I hear is an excellent storefront solution. I looked into it years ago but did not want to pay them montly for the service and pay them a cut for every sale but that is another choice you can look into (plus you still need a merchant accountfor that).

                  Whatever you do, choose software (which should be an online solution and not a store bought solution) that will get you up in running without a lot of learning curve. You want tpo sell your stuff nor waste time learning how to use clumsy software, take it from a guy thats been there.

                  I have been toying with the idea of setting up a store that focuses on home made crafts. I am not sure if I want to limit it to wood-working projects or not. But in any case this would be a website where anyone could sell their stuff. So if anyone has interest in this please let me know, I have been selling online since 1999.

                  Btw, profits are better on my own website than on ebay.

                  Jerry, also in Wisconsin :)

                  In scrollsawing@ yahoogroups. com<mailto:scrollsawing@ yahoogroups. com>, "Ed Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@ ...> wrote:

                  > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
                  > sale, other than Ebay.....?

                  Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

                • david robinson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2008
                    I am interested in hearing more about what you have to say about selling craft items on your web site, i have been thinking of doing that myself. david also in wisconsin on the farm..

                    "Ready Resources.com" <readyresources@...> wrote: I have been selling on ebay and websites for years. There are many easy-to use software solutions that you can use to create your website. The software I use is a little more advance than what you would want at this point, plus you would need a merchant account to accept the credit card payments.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2008
                      thanks very much for the advice, that seems a good way to go for the start, then later on depending how things go then look at something else, i had only once tryed to sell at a mall ( it was small one ) then would have a craft sale at my home on the porch. So now, I had started to think about expending my experiencs.

                      david

                      david

                      alvin nave <naveal@...> wrote:
                      my own opinion here, but if you can find local small shows that are not overly priced start there and present your cuttings. keep in mind the envorment, economical sutuation of the target audience, where we live people will not spend a ton on wood but if the price is right they will purchase something since all the answers here are always so short and really do not answer your question thy that. we started at a military base in the BX/px if you have a base near you, give them a call and see if you can set up there. we do a lot of little 25-50 dollar shows and do very well.

                      Bobby <btl5521@...> wrote: --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Ronczyk" <edd56_2000@...> wrote:

                      > Are there any places on the internet that I can list my things for
                      > sale, other than Ebay.....?

                      Why not start your own web site and sell your stuff that way.

                    • John Hower
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
                        Jerry,

                        I'd be interested in learning more about your plans. I think if a group of
                        crafters presented their work on one site it could be more profitable than
                        individual sites.

                        John

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
                          John, Jerry et al,

                          I've been advised by my boss to look into eBay, which I did. Unfortunately, any items similar (class, purpose, catagory, whatever...) to what I make just don't sell for enough to justify the expense and time involved. Maybe I'm wrong, or what I'm thinking of putting on eBay just isn't what the public wants. It's like the old joke about the ad execs and the dog food commercials; no matter how fancy the ads are, if the dogs don't like it ... well you're outta luck, time and dough.

                          Jerry, are you contemplating a web-based "co-op"? That might not sound too bad. The problem is somebody could easily lift your ideas over the web, send them over to a contact overseas and voila, the next time you're walking through a "country crafts" store at your local mall, or niche shopping center, you look over and what do you see? YOUR idea, but with a "Made in ...." brand on the bottom.

                          This is what got Christmas Tree Shops in hot water with some individual crafters on Cape Cod, but who's to say that another and much larger company with even deeper pockets and more cash in them won't do the same knowing full well their profits will supersede their legal expenses and do it just to prove they can get away with it?

                          I also hate to say this, but I've given the "China option" some thought, but only on the premise that the company is checked out by somebody I know who's done considerable homework about the good vs. bad and sloppy companies over there. SOme of you probably won't believe how easy it is to get a company's attention to do your millwork. YOu could have zillions of what took you hours and weeks to do but in a mere fraction of time. (Where you'd find the space for them inbetween the time it took to sell 'em all before you went bankrupt on storage fees ... well that's another headache.) I know of a very reputable man in my church with an extensive record of dealing with CHinese businesses and I trust his judgment. Perhaps you're lucky to have one in your church, synagogue, mosque or temple.

                          I hate to think of doing this, but with family expenses, our retirement, house, etc., and future plans ... well they all cost $$ and lots of it. There's no thing stopping us from enjoying the pure joy of creating our prototypes and a small line of "personally made by" items and still working through a foreign company from what I know.

                          What I find thoroughly offensive are the "fair trade" Ten Thousand Villages stores based out of Ohio who push the "fair trade" concept while OPENLY discriminating against American crafters. It doesn't make a dime's worth of difference if you're foreign born from the West Bank ... if you make a cross here, it's "American" and verboten. I'm all for fair trade, and doing what we can to put a stop to unfair trade practices anywhere --- but the same do-gooders who give us the "fair trade" products don't play fair with their own people and that's wrong. Plain damn wrong! Belive me, I do have considerable empathy for the Christian Arabs trying to make it in occupied Bethlehem and the Old City of Jerusalem, for one example. But I'll be damned if I can't sell my own products in my own country while these stores are no doubt also getting some tax breaks.

                          Anybody know a reliable "fair trade" politician? with a real strong independent streak?

                          Sorry to go on for so long, but this, too, is close to my heart as it is to all of you in this webgroup. And, please, by all means---dispell all my doubtgs and give me some hope in the process of doing so. I have a lot of nice ideas as well; but I don't have a lot of extra dough, time nor lawyers on retainer. Additionally, the area where I live, Hampshire County, MA, is lock, stock and dominated by the politically correct so-called "fair" tradists.

                          Steven

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
                            That was my thinking too. What I am going to do is set up some sort of survey to see what the interest is, and what dierection I should proceed. I have been doing websites for a lot longer than wood-working, so that's strength of mine.

                            I need to decide on a way to proceed as I came up with a few options.

                            I will let you know,
                            Jerry from Wisconsin

                            Re: selling your crafts Posted by: "John Hower" jehower@... j_hower Tue Mar 4, 2008 6:44 am (PST)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Hi Steven,

                                Yes, your experiences with ebay are similar to mine. I think ebay buyers may just be the wrong audience. So the idea is for a site that groups like-minded sellers and focuses on hand made items targeting well people who can appreciate hand made items over cheap, imported ones.

                                Another benefit is it would be a store listing and not an auction listing. So the items will not have to be re-listed weekly and buyers will not be expecting lower prices if things are not sold the first time around.

                                As far as if it's a co-op or what type of arrangement goes, that's still what I need to evaluate. And as far as people over-seas stealing the designs or ideas, well that possible if you sell on ebay or any other website. Since the target market will be people wanting hand made crafts I'll not worry about imports from China. Perhaps the site would focus on Made-In-America items as there is more and more people searching for just that.

                                I think groupling my items with those of like-mided sellers will create a much stronger community than going it alone.

                                People can always think themselves into ways things may not work, my goal is to crash through those barriers and make things happen.

                                Have a great day everyone and God Bless you all!
                                Jerry from Wisconsin
                                Re: selling your crafts Posted by: "steven barrett" spbarrett77@... spbarrett77 Wed Mar 5, 2008 7:41 am (PST) John, Jerry et al,

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Jerry,

                                  Thanks for your reply. YOu brought up a lot of good points, and I pretty much agree with you about people stealing your crafts. Very little we can do about copy cats, esp. the more unscrupulous who'll stop at nothing short of whopping fines or real jail time. And don't hold your breath for either one of those happening to the bad guys.

                                  I also agree with your outlook. It's better to spend time moving ahead.

                                  What's also upsetting, however, seems to be a rise in near monop olistic crafts fairs that charge whopper judging fees. In my area the big craft shows are held at Deerfield Academy and in Northampton, MA, home of the "Paradise City" fair, one of the snootiest rackets I've seen yet. Even if the Deerfield fair is expensive for beg. crafters, at least they're competing on a more balanced field. The Paradise City deal seems like a clever put up job by tenured academics (and we've got 'em by the maple sap buckets!) who have a lot more time, expertise in marketing skills and of course, higher salaries. Their killer entry judging fees amount to nothing less than "snob zoning." While I'll admit some of their crafts are indeed very fine and reflect considerable craftsmanship, there's a lot of stuff that appears way over packaged, much in the same way some of the "more artistic" bird sized meals are in five star restaurants. Heavy on the sophistication, light on the real stuff.

                                  Plug on though we must!

                                  steven