Re: Blade Tension

  • Dick Camnitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
      This is just my comment since I had to go through tension headaches
      also (nice play on words huh?).
      The flexing the blade method was too hard to judge. The reason one
      uses a torque wrench is that different individuals adjust a bolt at
      different levels of torque. When I flex I can push the blade till my
      thumb bleeds so where does each person stop flexing to measure the
      flex....am I making sense? I have bandsaw instructions that say the
      same thing. As for my RBI, I go by the ping of the blade. I listen
      to the pitch. I break very few blades prematurely that I can tell.
      I guess I was lucky to hear the right pitch early in my efforts.
      Dick

      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Sevy" <sevy99@...> wrote:

      > Warren Kafitz is an experienced scroller, and has a lot of
      knowledge about scrolling. But, I either misunderstood his comments,
      or I disagree with his advice to make the tension as tight as you can
      get without pulling the blade out of the blade holder.

      > While I agree that loose tension breaks blades (because the blade
      flexes and creates heat), in my experience, excessive tension will
      also contribute to breaking blades because it puts excessive strain
      on the metal.

      > I have also been told by AMI techs (distributor of Hegner) that
      excessive tension will lead to premature failure of bearings. The
      standard recommendation from most scrollers and manufacturers is that
      you increase the tension to the point where the blade will flex 1/8"
      when you push back (not sideways) on the blade with your thumb.