Beginners Question on Segmentation

  • russstan30082
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2007
      I am a beginner at Scroll saw work and want try the Sun Mask in the
      SSW&C Ultimate Patterns Collection Vol 1.

      This pattern uses a number of pieces of different thicknesses.

      I understand the basics of segmentation in that it is like a puzzle
      put back together and then glued up. For something like the Sun Mask
      would you cut the pieces and then assemble them on a backer board and
      glue them them to the backer. Or would you make the backer out of the
      thinest pieces and them layer the thinker pieces over it as a backer
      board?

      Also I want to hnag this outside,and the thickness ranges from 1/8" to
      3/4" what type wood is recommended?

      Thanks for the help.

      Russ
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Group,

        Just a quick question. I have an old Craftsman scroll
        saw made in the 50's, model 103.20720 and I am in need
        of a few parts. Of course King Seeley is long gone
        (the manufactuer) and Sears is worthless, any ideas?

        Matt
      • naveal
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
          --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "russstan30082" <russ-
          stanton@...> wrote:

          > I am a beginner at Scroll saw work and want try the Sun Mask in the
          > SSW&C Ultimate Patterns Collection Vol 1.
          >
          > This pattern uses a number of pieces of different thicknesses.
          >
          > I understand the basics of segmentation in that it is like a puzzle
          > put back together and then glued up. For something like the Sun
          Mask
          > would you cut the pieces and then assemble them on a backer board
          and
          > glue them them to the backer. Or would you make the backer out of
          the
          > thinest pieces and them layer the thinker pieces over it as a
          backer
          > board?
          >
          > Also I want to hnag this outside,and the thickness ranges from 1/8"
          > 3/4" what type wood is recommended?
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Russ

          russ,

          we do a lot of segmentation, it is easier to cut your backer out of
          your piece before you cut the pattern, what i was educated on a few
          years ago by mr. norris (norris arts) who has since passed away while
          we were at a show is to secure the backer to the piece with the
          pattern on the top, set your scroll saw to 3.5 degrees and cut out
          the backer turning your piece to the right, this allows you to have
          the backer cut,(we staple the 1/8 inch backer wood to the back side
          of the whole piece and then remove it before cutting out the rest of
          the pattern) and then as you cut your pattern out you can set the
          pieces back in place on the backer. we use both 1/8 mahogany and 1/8
          inch luan for our backers and tite bond 3 if the piece is to be
          outside, also would recommend that if it is in the direct elements to
          treat with water proofer of some kind so it is more weather
          resistant. some of our pieces are upwards to 4 foot and although it
          takes some doing we manage. some of our segmentation is in our album
          here if you want to take a look, or you can email us directly at
          naveall@... and we will see if we can help you more.

        • stan green