Looking for 3/4 hardwoods

  • btkittler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm looking to make some welcome plaques that call for 3/4" thick
      hardwood in 10"widths. They are approximately 16" in length. No luck
      finding Cherry, Curly maple or birds-eye maple. Any direction would be
      greatly appreciated.

      And I'm trying not to have to do any glue-ups because they won't look
      as nice.

      Thanx...Brian
    • Bruce Worthington
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
        Check this site Brian, they have a large selection.
        http://www.cookwoods.com/
        Bruce

        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "btkittler" <bkittler@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm looking to make some welcome plaques that call for 3/4" thick
        > hardwood in 10"widths. They are approximately 16" in length. No luck
        > finding Cherry, Curly maple or birds-eye maple. Any direction would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > And I'm trying not to have to do any glue-ups because they won't look
        > as nice.
        >
        > Thanx...Brian

      • Chuck Flanagan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
          you might try cook-woods on ebay. they normally have good hardwoods

          Chuck

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
            Brian:
            You might try looking in the Yellow Pages for a local cabinet maker. In most
            cases, they have the machinery to make the blanks that you require for a few
            dollars plus the cost of the wood. I make all of own blanks but because of
            where I live, it is not financially feasible for me to make the panels for
            resale. I live in North-Eastern Alberta, approx 180 miles or 300 km from
            Edmonton Alberta. The cabinet maker is also a great place to get some of the
            smaller pieces of what they would call scraps that would be gold to many
            scrollers.
            Kinosoo Sawyer,
            Cold Lake, Alberta
            Canada

            ta.
            Quoting btkittler <bkittler@...>:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm looking to make some welcome plaques that call for 3/4" thick
            > hardwood in 10"widths. They are approximately 16" in length. No luck
            > finding Cherry, Curly maple or birds-eye maple. Any direction would be
            > greatly appreciated.
            >
            > And I'm trying not to have to do any glue-ups because they won't look
            > as nice.
            >
            > Thanx...Brian

          • DAVID DESJARDIN
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
              How are you planning to do the Plaques? Are they going to be routered or are you going to scrollsaw the lettering and glue them on? I,ve done some plaques and signs both ways and have used glue up's before. I have found that if you scroll letters and glue them onto pine that pine is very easy to glue up and also becouse ot the grains in it if you just use an oil and no stain that they really pop out at you with a little eurathane and also if you don't use straight edges on the plaques if you do long flowing sqiurly's it helps also.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                Brian is looking for 10x16 hardwood boards

                If you can't find what you are looking for, you might try poplar which is
                readily available at Lowes and Home Depot. When stained with cherry, it will
                fool many people. A light maple stain won't look like birds-eye maple, but
                will look very nice.

                Tom Sevy in Salt Lake City
              • amjamtat2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2007
                  Brain

                  Where do you call home? If you are in the Northeast I can give you a list
                  of places. OR how about ebay?

                  Jeannie

                • btkittler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Hi Jeannie,

                    I live in Western MA....almost on the NY border

                    Thanx...Brian

                    --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, amjamtat2@... wrote:

                    > Brain
                    >
                    > Where do you call home? If you are in the Northeast I can give you
                    a list
                    > of places. OR how about ebay?
                    >
                    > Jeannie

                  • Nancy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                      I don't know how hard you want but I know Lowe's sells nice looking
                      red oak in the sizes you mentioned. You may want to check it out.
                      Nancy

                      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "btkittler" <bkittler@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I'm looking to make some welcome plaques that call for 3/4" thick
                      > hardwood in 10"widths. They are approximately 16" in length. No
                      luck
                      > finding Cherry, Curly maple or birds-eye maple. Any direction would
                      be
                      > greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > And I'm trying not to have to do any glue-ups because they won't look
                      > as nice.
                      >
                      > Thanx...Brian

                    • btkittler
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                        I was going to be doing both, but my main interest in the wood was
                        for scrolling out the design and routering the edge. On the style
                        where you scroll from a separate piece of wood and glue to the
                        plaque, I would be OK with doing glue-ups.

                        Thanx for the info...and also to everyone else who responded.

                        Brian

                        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, DAVID DESJARDIN

                      • KDaly10475@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
                          It's a bit of a drive, but the Connecticut Woodgroup in Enfield will have
                          what you're looking for. It's off of Exit 35 off of I-91. They have an
                          awesome selection and very good prices. If you're buying enough it might be worth
                          the trip. Do a google search on their name and you'll be able to bring up
                          their price list. They'll plane the wood down for you.

                          Kevin

                        • amjamtat2@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
                            Brian

                            First there is Curtis Lumber in Ballston Spa (near Saratoga, NY) that has a
                            wealth of woods - you can even call Dave Whitehouse at Curtis (518-885-5311)
                            and ask him what they have in 10 inch width.

                            Then there is Berkshire Products - south of Great Barrington on Rt 7A
                            another candy store of wood.

                            Or you can check out the Woodworking Events Show at the Big E in Springfield
                            on January 12-14 Especially the PS Wood Machine Booth, I will be there on
                            the Scroll Saw.

                            Jeannie

                          • btkittler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 5, 2007
                              If this place is half as fantastic as it seems, I'm going to be there
                              quite frequently ! Thanx for the info....

                              Brian