Re: scrollsawing re maintenance on Excaliber follow-up

  • ron adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      It has already happened to the DeWalts

      Ron

      Bob <66.bobhewson@...> wrote:
      Thanks to all for their suggestions and the discussions on WD-40 and
      also the change of manufacturer.

      I finally dissasembeled the back end of the saw. Boy, they don't want
      you to do this if the location of various screws and bolts is an
      indicator.

      Found a loose nut and relubed all moving friction points and bearings
      using a good grade of oil, drop by drop! Cleaned out all the fine saw
      dust, reassembeled and the clatter/noise was gone.

      Checked the manufacturer. The saw was made by Somerville in Canada
      (they also made the DeWalt saw too). Apparently the manufacture of
      the DeWalt has gone offshore...

      THe excalubur is apparently being made by Gemeral or Gereral
      International, both the same Caaaanadian company at www.general.ca.
      General makes tools in Canada, General International makes tools
      offshore that are sold around the world.

      I emailed them twice and asked the same questions that started this
      thread, to date no reply...

      I wonder what will happen to our DeWalts if they are now made offshore?

      Bob

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <66.bobhewson@...> wrote:

        > I emailed them twice and asked the same questions that started this
        > thread, to date no reply...
        >
        > I wonder what will happen to our DeWalts if they are now made
        offshore?

        > Bob

        Bob, read post # 17676 and you might see that DeWalt has already
        started going down the tubes, at least IN MY EYES.
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
          I reveived an answer from General today which I have posted below.

          Bob

          *****************************
          Looks like I will still be able to get parts and locally too.

          "You are correct in the fact that General now ownes the
          manufacturing rights to the Excalibur products. The parent company
          of Excalibur was called Sommerville Design and is now out of
          business. We will not be making the EX19 as it has been replaced by
          the EX21. Having said all of this, the best bet for your saw is to
          take it to Federated Tool on Oxford Street in London as they always
          have a good supply of Excalibur parts. There are some wear areas on
          your saw that are starting to show themselves now. Some small
          bearings and bushings are in need of replacement. David at Federated
          will be happy to get you back up and running. 519-451-0100
          Regards
          Peter Kennedy
          Director of Sales Eastern Region
          General Mfg. Co. Ltd.