Re: scrollsawing Emergency Help Needed

  • Tom Sevy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      I want to thank all those who suggested sources for small mirrors for the
      hand mirror which I am making.

      Here is how I make the Berry Basket hand mirrors:

      Because I am on a limited income, I try to use less expensive woods. I have
      found that poplar stained with Minwax cherry stain looks remarkably like
      cherry. I use two pieces of 1/4" poplar and one piece of 1/8" Baltic birch
      between the pieces of poplar. The reason for the Baltic birch is that it
      adds strength to the somewhat intricate fretwork, and also adds an accent
      line around the edge of the mirror. I attach the pattern to one piece of the
      poplar and cut out the oval opening for the mirror, and then round over the
      opening. I then laminate all three pieces together using a piece of 1"
      particle board to cover the entire thing and about 40 pounds of weight using
      bar bell weights. When it is dry, I then cut around the outside and round
      over (1/4") the entire mirror. I then cut out the fretwork design. I then
      stain the whole think with Minwax cherry stain. Let it dry and put on a coat
      of Watco and let it dry. I attach the mirror with silicon caulk and it's
      finished. When I get this one done I'll try to post a photo of it.

      Tom Sevy in Salt Lake

      PS: Working on the mirror and other scrolling will have to take a back-seat
      for awhile. Yesterday our Oklahoma family arrived for a 10 day stay with
      children 6, 4 and 1. Next week our Idaho and Nevada families arrive for a
      week with children 18, 15, 12, 8, 6, 5, 3 and 8 months. So that's a total of
      20 people in our four bedroom house. Thank goodness for three bathrooms and
      a basement. Fun, but very definitely noisy. I sure hope it stays nice so
      they can play outside.
    • Tom Sevy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Smitty's suggestion of using mirrored acrylic (Plexiglas) might be a good
        alternative. It isn't quite as clear as real glass, but is certainly easy to
        cut to size and quite reasonable. If I recall correctly it is about $10 for
        a 1x2 foot piece, and I know that it's available locally from a couple of
        plastic dealers. I think I'll try it and see if I like it. One significant
        problem is that it will scratch much more easily, but, hopefully the
        recipients wouldn't be subjecting the hand mirrors to being scratched.

        Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I knew that my scrolling buddies
        would come through.

        Tom Sevy