Re: scrollsawing New Scroll Saw Workshop

  • Norm Nichols
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006
      Tom, you got to explain that last sentence to me. You hope that the current issue is NOT a sign of things to come?? I am confused.

      According to the mag they are changing the name to get the mag into new markets. Personally, I hope they will continue to concentrate on the scrolling with a few articles on intrasia. We don't need a mag with carving and other woodworking activities. I am a scroller and that is what I want to see. That's MY opinion.

      Norm in TX

      Tom Sevy <sevy99@...> wrote:
      I wondered about the new name for Scroll Saw Workshop - adding Woodworking
      to the name. It appears to me that they want the word Woodworking to appear
      in the name so that folks who search for it and don't use the work Scroll or
      Scrolling will still find it. I have a feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that
      the current issue of SSW (their best ever) is a sign of things to come.

      Tom Sevy

      Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Voice chat Woodworking

      ---------------------------------

    • ron adams
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
        I flipped thru it but didn't read any of it or see anything of interest to me.

        Ron

        gudrun schindler <gudrun.schindler@...> wrote:
        Tom Sevy wrote:

        > I have a feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that
        >the current issue of SSW (their best ever) is a sign of things to come.

        Well, here's another proof that nobody can please everybody every time. LOL!
        You think it's their best issue ever, and for me it is one of the very
        few issues where I could not find a single thing I want to make.
        (Apart from your instructions on how to build a simple "stand" for
        projects.)

        Gudrun

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          Response to Norm in Texas --
          Subject: Re: scrollsawing New Scroll Saw Workshop

          Norm wrote: Tom, you got to explain that last sentence to me. You hope
          that the current issue is NOT a sign of things to come?? I am confused.

          I don't think I wrote that "I hope the current issue is NOT a sign of things
          to come." I very much hope that the current issue IS a sign of things to
          come. I usually go through the scrolling magazines to see what I want to
          make and put a sticky note listing the things I like best. Usually I'll put
          two or three projects on the sticky note. This time I had to use two sticky
          notes because there are 13 things that I like enough to make. I would have
          added the lamps, except I don't need any lamps. I think the current issue of
          SSW is the best ever, and I don't recall an issue of CWWC that I liked as
          well. All of this is, of course, only my opinion - but I have considerable
          respect for my opinion. <grin>

          Another opinion. Those who think the change in the name of the magazine
          means it will go the way of CWWC with lots of non-scrolling articles and
          projects have not interpreted the new name correctly. The publisher of SSW
          already publishes a well-regarded magazine on carving. I believe that the
          new name is a way to get better recognition at the magazine stands, on
          Google searches and generally appealing to those whose first inclination is
          to search for the generic word: "woodwork". Sounds like a good idea without
          any suggestion that they are abandoning their focus on scrolling. So far the
          only real detour has been into pyrography (wood burning). I find this
          acceptable because wood burning can be used in many ways with scrolling, and
          vice versa.

          Tom Sevy

          PS: Watch for a hanging pyramid. Sounds interesting doesn't it?
        • minowevie@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            Tom you are right on. thanks.
            I would like to add. I love are magazines. And I think they are focused on
            the new comer. BUT. with every intry. I learn so much on the way they are
            done. finishing, and cutting ways. Tools. blades. And woods. I; think, we need to
            contribute to the impho on are magazines. and tell them what we would like to
            see. ( For me) I would love to see more of the more intracant. designs and
            cutting tecneecks they use. I am so inspired with the frilly fretwork. I love
            the other things that go along with woodworking. for someday, Maybe I could
            use them too. Lathe work, or painting, or woodburnig. or even carving. it would
            help me to make some awesome projects don't get me rougn. I love my scroll
            saw. but I love all woodworking. And some of all the other things could just let
            me go farther.
            We really need to support are few magazines. Or we may not have them in the
            future.
            again I would love to see more advanced projects. Your friend Evie.