DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw

  • philbronzeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      I have been scrolling about a year - my first saw was a Delta 16" -
      after my first few fretwork pieces, I knew I wanted another saw. I
      looked at all the saws and decided on the DeWalt 788 and purchased it
      in April. At the time I purchased it, I bought the Easy Lift
      attachment (not a DeWalt item) for keeping the arm up when threading
      the blade.

      Around the end of June the saw began to vibrate when I would press the
      pedal to start to saw. It was very loud and shook like it was going
      to come apart. The area of the vibration, shaking and noise is where
      the (I don't know the technical name) silver cast iron lifters (lifts
      the blade up and down) attach into the arm.

      I took the saw to the DeWalt Factory shop on Tidwell (Houston). The
      first time, they replaced couple of items inside the saw. Took it
      home, and it still continued to virbrate and shake. With or without
      using the pedal. Second trip to DeWalt Factory shop, they practially
      rebuilt the whole saw, new motor, bearings, etc. For about two weeks
      it was fine. But two days ago, it started the same virbration.

      This time DeWalt gave me a new saw and will be sending the 'vibrating'
      saw for the DeWalt engineers to try to determine what is wrong.

      I had heard nothing but good reports on the 788. Has anyone had a
      similar problem or heard of some one with the same?

      Thanks for reading my long question and your reponse.

      Phil Collins
    • tmullanejr
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        I had a similar problem the first week with my new DeWalt about 1.5
        yrs ago.. turned out to me a bad circuit board.. seems a bunch of
        them did not go through QA and I got one of the bad ones.. took a
        day to get a new one and I was on my way..no problems since.
        Tom

        --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "philbronzeman"