Re: Top Feeding With Delta P-20

  • slot2cars
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, "bill710us2003 <bzy@u...>"
      <bzy@u...> wrote:
      > I have had my Delta P-20 since last december and I have been bottom
      > feeding with it just like I always did with my previous DeWalt saw
      > which completely wore out after about 3 years of use.
      > Upon recomendations from some , I must have tried at least a dozen
      > times to top feed with the Dewalt but I found it too clumsy because
      > of needing three hands to do it. One to lift that big heavy arm and
      > one to feed the blade into the hole and another to move the
      > workpiece to the next hole.
      > Now, with my new Delta P-20, I am finally a top feeder. I have been
      > using it that way for the last while now. What a huge difference.
      > Only two hands required to do it very easilly and the bottom of the
      > blade lifts higher than on the DeWalt for more clearance.. The top
      > graphite arm on the Delta P-20 is very strong but just weighs
      ounces
      > so I can grab the blade and lift the arm and blade effortlessly all
      > at the same time to feed it into the hole with my right hand while
      > moving the wood to the next hole with my left hand. Then when I
      > fasten the blade underneath, it's so easy with just the push of a
      > lever instead of cranking a thumbscrew. Delta sure had the user in
      > mind in so many ways when they designed the P-20. No more bending
      of
      > the ends of the blade anymore regardless of how fine a blade is
      > being used because of a much superior blade fastening system.
      > W.Y..

      >>I think the Delta P-20 was only designed for top feeding of the
      blade...I had one for a short time and that bottom blade holder was a
      pain in the butt i thought..all it did was move around alot when
      putting the blade in..thing must be a real pain in the butt if one is
      trying to bottom feed the blade.
      I also had the DeWalt....My DeWalt would also bend the top of the
      blade after doing fretwork..sold the DeWalt and P-20 now have a RBI..
      I thought the new P-20 was just to loud..but it was a very smooth
      scrollsaw tho..i know one can buy the same kind of quick blade
      changer for the top of my RBI as the Delta has..but did not care for
      it at all. My RBI never bends the top of the blade....even after
      doing lots and lots of inside cuts..
      As for the DeWalt...i think its overrated...
      R.J
    • bill710us2003 <bzy@uniserve.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hi R.J.
        Glad you are happy with your RBI saw. They also have a good
        reputation. I'm wondering if you didn't give the P-20 a good enough
        try. I find the pivoting holder a real advantage and I have no
        problem sliping the blade into the bottom one and fastening it. It
        does take about an hour of practice to master it though. With my
        previous saw, I could do it with over 12 hours practice but still
        not to my expectations as far as ease and speed were concerned.
        I agree with your comment about the DeWalt. Those holders do mangle
        blades unless a person is continually re-surfacing the parts
        involved in the holders and cleaning and sandpapering the blade ends
        to stop them from slipping. Of course that depends on how much use
        the saw actually gets in hours and mine gets a LOT of use.
        That's all a thing of the past for me now. I am sure (although I
        havn't tried it) that just out of curiosity, I could dip the ends of
        my blades in oil and fasten them into the P-20 holders and they
        would not slip out when put at full tension.And they definitely
        wouldn't get bent on the ends no matter how tight I installed them
        and how fine a blade I used..
        All saws have likes and dislikes so it's nice we have a choice to
        choose which is best for our own particular purposes,
        W.Y.

      • slot2cars
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
          <bzy@u...> wrote:
          > Hi R.J.
          > Glad you are happy with your RBI saw. They also have a good
          > reputation. I'm wondering if you didn't give the P-20 a good enough
          > try. I find the pivoting holder a real advantage and I have no
          > problem sliping the blade into the bottom one and fastening it. It
          > does take about an hour of practice to master it though. With my
          > previous saw, I could do it with over 12 hours practice but still
          > not to my expectations as far as ease and speed were concerned.
          > I agree with your comment about the DeWalt. Those holders do mangle
          > blades unless a person is continually re-surfacing the parts
          > involved in the holders and cleaning and sandpapering the blade
          ends
          > to stop them from slipping. Of course that depends on how much use
          > the saw actually gets in hours and mine gets a LOT of use.
          > That's all a thing of the past for me now. I am sure (although I
          > havn't tried it) that just out of curiosity, I could dip the ends
          of
          > my blades in oil and fasten them into the P-20 holders and they
          > would not slip out when put at full tension.And they definitely
          > wouldn't get bent on the ends no matter how tight I installed them
          > and how fine a blade I used..
          > All saws have likes and dislikes so it's nice we have a choice to
          > choose which is best for our own particular purposes,
          > W.Y.
          >
          >> You could be right..i didn't have the new P-20 to long..but i did
          like the belt drive..did like the top arm which would lock up in
          place..did like how smooth the saw was..hate to say it but at top
          speed its a little smoother then my RBI..but then again i never use
          top speed on a scrollsaw..I could maybe get use to the blade
          clamps..but i thought for a belt driven scrollsaw..it should have
          been more quiet...but between the DeWalt and the P20..would go with
          the P-20...Don't know if its a big seller tho..it seems all want one
          with..just turn the speed dail..and the way you go.
          One bad thing about the RBI..the speed dail is on the side..not to
          handy..but i always use a foot switch anyway..so its no problem for
          me..maybe i got a bad P-20..i don't know..i just thought it was too
          loud..but your right..its nice to have a choice of saws out there to
          buy..and its nice to see somebody else on this group that went for a
          P-20 instead of the DeWalt..thats cool...
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
            Thanks R.J. for pointing out your likes and dislikes of the saws in
            question. My P-20 saw is very quiet. If it is any louder than my
            DeWalt was when it was new, I certainly havn't noticed it. But near
            the end of my DeWalts usefull life, it was starting to sound like a
            jack hammer even after doing all the recommended "fixes" for it.. As
            far as smoothness goes... no..it is not *quite* as smooth as a
            DeWalt but then that is to be expected. It's a heavy duty saw and
            and has a 3.5 HP motor while the DeWalt has only got a 1.3 HP motor.
            I don't know what your RBI has for a motor. I have never read specs
            on one.
            It is sure nice to be able to exchange ideas about different makes
            and models without being clobbered like I did so many times on
            another for just merely mentioning anything about another make
            other than DeWalt. Some on that forum claim DeWalt is the best saw
            in the world and everything else is secondary and nothing else will
            change their mind.. I feel sorry for people like that because they
            will never learn anything.
            It's great to be able to talk openly about different features so
            that we are all better informed.
            Regards...W.Y.

            BTW..what is the "wrap message text" thingy above the post button
            for. It dosn't seem to make any difference if I check it on or off.
            Is there any way to post here without the previous one also showing
            up?

          • slot2cars
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
              <bzy@u...> wrote:
              > Thanks R.J. for pointing out your likes and dislikes of the saws in
              > question. My P-20 saw is very quiet. If it is any louder than my
              > DeWalt was when it was new, I certainly havn't noticed it. But
              near
              > the end of my DeWalts usefull life, it was starting to sound like a
              > jack hammer even after doing all the recommended "fixes" for it..
              As
              > far as smoothness goes... no..it is not *quite* as smooth as a
              > DeWalt but then that is to be expected. It's a heavy duty saw and
              > and has a 3.5 HP motor while the DeWalt has only got a 1.3 HP
              motor.
              > I don't know what your RBI has for a motor. I have never read
              specs
              > on one.
              > It is sure nice to be able to exchange ideas about different makes
              > and models without being clobbered like I did so many times on
              > another for just merely mentioning anything about another make
              > other than DeWalt. Some on that forum claim DeWalt is the best saw
              > in the world and everything else is secondary and nothing else will
              > change their mind.. I feel sorry for people like that because they
              > will never learn anything.
              > It's great to be able to talk openly about different features so
              > that we are all better informed.
              > Regards...W.Y.
              >
              > BTW..what is the "wrap message text" thingy above the post button
              > for. It dosn't seem to make any difference if I check it on or off.
              > Is there any way to post here without the previous one also showing
              > up?

              > W.Y.
              > Have no idea as what a "wrap message text" is..never have messed
              with it..
              The motor on my RBI is only a 1/5 horsepower but is DC..as yours is
              AC..which one is better??..i have no idea..
              Was surprise to hear that your P-20 is not as smooth as your ex-
              DeWalt..I thought my P-20 was extra smooth..
              Yes your right about the fact some people think the DeWalt is the
              best..and for some people it may be the best..but like you mention
              before each person has his or her dislikes of a saw..and i guess we
              are two who found a scrollsaw we like better then the DeWalt..
              R.J