21122scrollsawing Re: buying a used scroll saw

  • stanking1806
    Nov 30, 2013
      Hope all had a fine Thanksgiving!

      One of these days when I am in HD I'll look at the Dewalt and see how they hold those blades, meantime I am so used to the Hegner it makes no difference.

      I've been cutting some 1/2" maple animals for the granddaughter to chew on, making some "lucets" for daughters to weave some lanyards, and various other items for gifts to family members. No strain for the Hegner or me...

      The Hegner table originally was a tapered back on this 18VS, but I got a rectangular one from Advanced Machinery as an "upgrade" I'll call it. Seems they have "previously owned" machine parts so I made a deal....So far the table top has been big enough for any project I've tackled. Curious as to how different it would be on the round Dewalt top?

      Stan in SoCal
      --- In scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com, stan mashek <KESTAR2@...> wrote:

      > Hi Stan
      > Just read your email and happy to hear you like your Hegner. I think the HEGNER is a great saw and I just have a hard time with the blade changing. The Dewalt 788 is just so easy to set the tension and change the blades compared to the HEGNER. I think its all what you get use to. My first was a $99.00 Dremmel with two speeds and I cut allot of projects with it and also blade changing I thought was ok but after getting my Dewalt I saw then what I had been missing variable speed control and easy tension setting and quite and larger table. So allot is what you get use to using. Main thing is having fun working on the saw. What type projects do you cut? Have fun and enjoy... Thanks Stan
      >
      > From: stan-king@...
      > To: scrollsawing@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:33:55 -0500
      > Subject: scrollsawing Re: buying a used scroll saw

      > I bought a used [1995] Hegner 18vs off Craig's List. It runs perfectly, with no issues. I do oil the upper and lower arm bearings regularly. The blade mounting and tensioning works fine for me; blades don't break unless I push 'em sideways for example. I've run this machine for many hours for many months now without complaint. Never tried another brand so I don't know what I am missing!?
      >

      > Stan King
      >
      > stan-king@...

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic