Chapter 5 in which Dave goes to Harvard

  • dave@userland.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
      DaveNet essay, "Chapter 5 in which Dave goes to Harvard", released on 1/10/2003; 7:08:30 AM Pacific.

      ***It sure feels strange

      The news [1] is out all over town.

      I've been offered a fellowship at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society [2] at Harvard Law School, and of course I accepted.

      It's an exciting opportunity!

      I'll keep writing Scripting News [3], and DaveNet, and working on XML-based protocols and formats for publishing. But now I'll be doing it in a different context.

      We're going to bring weblogs [4] to Harvard, and then teach the world what we learn. We know XML is great for engineering and financial applications. But what about XML for the liberal arts, for the humanities? That's something new.

      So things are going to change, in an interesting way.

      Of course I'll be writing much more about this.

      And in the meantime, relish the strangeness of this idea.

      Dave Winer

      PS: I remain a major shareholder in UserLand Software, and therefore am very interested in its success, but I haven't been actively working for UserLand since last summer, and that won't change now, as my interest shifts into academia.

      PPS: Who knows how many chapters there have been in my life [5]. I'm 47. I've re-invented myself at least four times. But who's counting? ;->

      [1] http://www.corante.com/copyfight/20030101.shtml#17482
      [2] http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/
      [3] http://www.scripting.com/
      [4] http://newhome.weblogs.com/historyOfWeblogs
      [5] http://scriptingnews.userland.com/cv

      (c) Copyright 1994-2003, Dave Winer. http://davenet.userland.com/.
      "There's no time like now."
    • Sebastian Delmont
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
        Wow... congratulations Dave!!!

        Does that mean we will be seeing you more often on the east coast?

        Good luck in your new career.

        Regards,
        Sebastian Delmont
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
          Yes it certainly does.

          We'll have to do another dinner in NY sooooon.