Tracking Individual Training

  • Dee Dee
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 12 2:39 PM
      Our council training committee is considering the development of a
      card, similar to the Merit Badge card (size, etc.) that will be
      carried with an individual to training events for initials, etc.

      Do any of you have something already in place for individuals to keep
      track of their training attendance? We are looking for something that
      collects the information all in one place.

      Dee Dee Cobb
      Middle Tennessee Council
      Training Committee
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 12 3:10 PM
        For the last year or so my council training committee has been working
        on some form of program that will track this training, as ScoutNet2000
        doesn't seem to do so. In part because no one has decided exactly what
        is needed/wanted, or the exact info that will be kept in the database,
        we have made little progress. I have been nudging the folks who make
        TroopMaster to gin up a tracking program to do this, but they say that
        they have not had sufficient demand yet. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

        This might be a chance to have scouters who really want this type of
        software to write or e-mail the TroopMaster folks and express their
        opinions. Once we have the software, especially if is is written in
        Access or a similar language, it will be a snap to generate a pocket
        card that shows what the person has completed, as well as leaving space
        for future training.

        n.b. Their web site is www.troopmaster.com, e-mail:
        tsi@....

        Dave

        Dee Dee wrote:

        > Our council training committee is considering the development of a
        > card, similar to the Merit Badge card (size, etc.) that will be
        > carried with an individual to training events for initials, etc.
        >
        > Do any of you have something already in place for individuals to keep
        > track of their training attendance? We are looking for something that
        > collects the information all in one place.
        >
        > Dee Dee Cobb
        > Middle Tennessee Council
        > Training Committee

        To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
        the mailto: address below

        Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
        164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
        Greenland, NH 03840
        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
        possit materiari?
      • ilialive@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 12 8:35 PM
          I've never seen one used in BSA, but our Girl Scout council has had a
          training card (about 3" x 6", which can be folded to about 2" x 3")
          for a very long time (it is now being phased out because training
          records are being computerized). Ideally, volunteers carry the card
          to all trainings & have them signed by the trainer/instructor. Each
          service unit (district) also has a training sheet kept by the
          training consultant. Each leader is supposed to keep it updated so
          that the district has a clear idea of who's had what training. As I
          said, though, a lot of this is being phased out thanks to technology!
          Hope this helps.

          YIS,
          Ilia Lively
          Mecklenburg County Council and
          Girl Scouts, Hornets' Nest Council
          Charlotte, NC
          SE-CS-19 - Antelope
          SR-200 - Eagle
          Master Trainer and soon-to-be Instructor of Trainers
        • Peter J Murray
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 12 9:12 PM
            Hey all,

            My best friend, Dan Roberts, developed an Outlook based form for
            tracking leaders, their E-Mail addresses, their attendance to RTs, and other
            Training related data. If you want to try it out, just E-Mail him @
            SnorkleDork@... and ask him for it. He is in NC at Camp Daniel Boone
            with our boys till this coming Sunday, so please be patient. Using this file
            we are able to share a .pst file district wide, so that people can keep in
            touch with each other. It really helps to do mass E-Mailings with it!!!

            "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray
            "A good ol' Bobwhite too..." NECS 59
            "A good ol' Eagle too... SR 394
            Council & District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            Hekawee District
            Central Florida Council

            Do any of you have something already in place for individuals to keep
            track of their training attendance? We are looking for something that
            collects the information all in one place.
          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 13 5:52 AM
              Dee Dee asked: Do any of you have something already in place for individuals
              to keep track of their training attendance? We are looking for something
              that collects the information all in one place.

              Dee Dee,

              We have something that keeps it all in one place. It's convenient and easy
              to use for the leaders, too. They'll never forget it, it'll never be lost,
              and it's guaranteed 100% accurate!

              I keep all the training records on our server here at work! :( Three tables
              in an Oracle database running on a Sun cluster, backed up to tape nightly.
              Every training event and RT, I transfer the contents of the sign in sheet to
              the database. I run a quick report to show those that have met the
              requirements for a training award, and send them an application (pre-filled
              out with their info and the training stuff signed) and a letter.

              I did this after council told us at the beginning of the year that their
              training records were often inaccurate, incomplete, illegible,
              incomprehensible, unavailable or outright lost...you get the picture! Of
              course, ScoutNet was going to solve all of that, and I'll believe it when
              council can actually fix our address and spell my name correctly!

              I export the contents into Excel and print a check-in sheet for RT. Leaders
              just verify their phone, physical and email addresses when they sign in, and
              make any corrections/additions/updates. It's easier to scan for and make the
              updates this way than to look through 100+ names and compare them to an
              existing list! They're more likely to sign in, and it takes a lot less time!
              --
              Sean Scott
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

              WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
            • Sean Scott
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 13 6:00 AM
                Dave wrote: Once we have the software, especially if is is written in Access
                or a similar language, it will be a snap to generate a pocket card that
                shows what the person has completed, as well as leaving space for future
                training.

                Noooooo! Not Access!
                --
                Sean Scott
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                Cub Scout Training Chairman
                Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
              • Tom Pardue
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 13 9:58 AM
                  The program needs to be easy to utilize. Access
                  requires constant use to stay proficient and is not
                  suer friendly to most. There has to be a way.
                  --- Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:
                  > Dave wrote: Once we have the software, especially if
                  > is is written in Access
                  > or a similar language, it will be a snap to generate
                  > a pocket card that
                  > shows what the person has completed, as well as
                  > leaving space for future
                  > training.
                  >
                  > Noooooo! Not Access!
                  > --
                  > Sean Scott
                  > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  > Cub Scout Training Chairman
                  > Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District
                  >
                  > WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                  >

                  > For subscription and delevery options send a message
                  > to:

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Dave Loomis
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 13 11:43 AM
                    For those of us who are less computer literate than the rest of the
                    herd, AKA, "Not the sharpest knives in the drawer," Access provides a
                    cheap and dirty way to accomplish relational databases without being a
                    computer wonk.

                    It may neither be great or elegant, but it DOES work and is easy for
                    the rest of us dull knives to use. . . and it beats an abacus made of
                    buffalo chips!

                    Dave

                    Sean Scott wrote:

                    > Dave wrote: Once we have the software, especially if is is written in Access
                    > or a similar language, it will be a snap to generate a pocket card that
                    > shows what the person has completed, as well as leaving space for future
                    > training.
                    >
                    > Noooooo! Not Access!
                    > --
                    > Sean Scott

                    To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
                    the mailto: address below

                    Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                    164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                    Greenland, NH 03840
                    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                    possit materiari?
                  • James Francisco
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 14 12:47 PM
                      There aren't any relational database products that are extremely user
                      friendly. Programs like Access, FoxPro, Dbase(showing my age here),
                      Paradox, and all their ilk are all developer tools not end user
                      products. The maintenance of the backend is a problem for
                      developers, those people with odd habits who daily tread the line of
                      caffiene overdoses. What you want is to have the end product be
                      easy for the common man to use. A troop committee or a district
                      training committee shouldn't be bothered with the programming
                      details. Now if you really don't need all the database stuff because
                      you are really interested in just the form, any good desktop
                      publishing program will do.

                      James Francisco

                      --- In scouter_t@y..., Tom Pardue <tpardue2000@y...> wrote:
                      > The program needs to be easy to utilize. Access
                      > requires constant use to stay proficient and is not
                      > suer friendly to most. There has to be a way.
                    • Jim Hawkins
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 15 12:28 PM
                        I agree. It does take a long time to develope an Access program.
                        However, once it is developed, it is very user friendly. If the
                        developer has taken the time to develope the needed interactive
                        databases, queries, forms, and reports, Access is extreemly powerful.
                        However, most of us can only use it as an alternative to Excel,
                        creating non-interactive tables. One of my Wood Badge Ticket items is
                        to organize the training information for my district. I would love to
                        see some one develope the Leader/Training tracking Access database. I
                        just do not have the time.

                        Jim Hawkins
                        Four Rivers District CS Training Chair
                        Shawnee Trails District

                        --- In scouter_t@y..., "James Francisco" <res076dz@g...> wrote:
                        > There aren't any relational database products that are extremely
                        user
                        > friendly. Programs like Access, FoxPro, Dbase(showing my age
                        here),
                        > Paradox, and all their ilk are all developer tools not end user
                        > products.
                      • Peter J Murray
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 15 5:59 PM
                          Hey All,

                          Outlook is a relational database using the Access engine. We track our
                          District, people AND calendar on it. Every entry is categorized, so if it is
                          an OA function, all those in the OA can be reached easily. Also, if you are
                          in OA, you can look at just those items pertaining to OA on the calendar. Of
                          course this can be done with training, Roundtables (third Thursday, every
                          month!!!) or in any way you want it to be done. You can be as specific or
                          general as you want to be... OK, I just E-mailed all of the training staff
                          that are signed up for this Saturday's training, just by clicking on the
                          calendar entry, and then creating an E-Mail within it. I can just as easily
                          E-Mail all the staff members that are NOT signed up for this Saturday,
                          begging them for help!!! Don't like E-Mail??? It can print envelopes, or
                          make a list of phone numbers to call. It can even dial the number for you,
                          and then you can record the response!!! The great thing about Outlook, is
                          that once you have set up the default form and added any/all custom fields
                          you want, and then set up your .pst file, most people can access it (pardon
                          pun) and use it like a regular E-Mail client. If fact, many people are
                          already using Outlook or Outlook Express, and may not even realize it!!! The
                          pass protected, read only .pst file can then be uploaded onto the District
                          Web Page, and be made available for all!!! And no, I don't work for
                          Microsoft either... ;-)

                          "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray
                          "A good ol' Bobwhite too..." NECS 59
                          "A good ol' Eagle too... SR 394
                          Council & District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                          Hekawee District
                          Central Florida Council

                          I agree. It does take a long time to develope an Access program.
                          However, once it is developed, it is very user friendly. If the
                        • Rick Cordray
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 16 11:24 AM
                            On June 12, Dave Loomis wrote: "For the last year or so my council training
                            committee has been working on some form of program that will track this
                            training, as ScoutNet2000 doesn't seem to do so. In part because no one has
                            decided exactly what is needed/wanted, or the exact info that will be kept
                            in the database, we have made little progress..."

                            How about we collect the desired features of an individual training record
                            database and then see what can be done about it?

                            To collect the features into a list, I've created a table in the database
                            section of the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t site. To look at the
                            table, select the "Database" menu item off the main group page, and select
                            the "Individual Training Record Features" table. You can read any other
                            features that other people have added, then add your own. I would suggest
                            that out of respect for other people, please don't edit existing entries.
                            If you disagree or want to elaborate, just add another record.

                            I've added a few records to prime the pump. You don't have to follow my
                            format. You may feel that the most important things are certain kinds of
                            data, or reports, or how the data is organized, or whatever. If you want to
                            contribute, let's just brainstorm and analyze it later.

                            Hope this helps,

                            Rick Cordray
                            North Lakes District Chair
                            Chief Seattle Council
                          • Dave Loomis
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 17 4:55 PM
                              Rick,
                              These were some of the parameters I laid on TSI/Troopmaster, for a
                              training database. The table info is at the bottom of the listing.

                              Dave

                              The program must run on a WINTEL machine and should also run on a Mac.
                              Personnel Downloads/Exports from Scoutnet should import directly into
                              the program - you already do this with Troop and PackMaster.
                              Data tables for personal information should have a one alphanumeric in
                              the "Person Key" that indicates district, so that various district's
                              personnel tables and the table representing the link between the
                              individual and the common training indices can be merged to make a
                              council database. Perhaps each district could precede its people index
                              number with a letter from A - Z, so A0001 is in the Arrowhead District,
                              and D0001 is in the Dogwood District, wherever you see these names and
                              indices. This could be done at the district, or perhaps more properly
                              at the council, by running a merge/append query as new data comes in
                              from each district. Using a lashup as shown below, only the Person and
                              Training tables would have to be sent to council, the other two would
                              have been set up at the beginning and already be at council.

                              Person Table Training Table Course Table
                              Person Index# - - - - - Person Index #
                              FName Training Index # - - Training Index #
                              LName Date Trained Training Name
                              Unit
                              Pos
                              Street Address Town Table
                              Town/St/Zip # - - - - -Town/St/Zip #
                              Town
                              St.
                              ZIP

                              Rick Cordray wrote:

                              > How about we collect the desired features of an individual training record
                              > database and then see what can be done about it?

                              [SNIP]

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 19 11:33 AM
                                --- In scouter_t@y..., Dave Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:

                                > The program must run on a WINTEL machine and should also run on a
                                > Mac.

                                Not asking for much are we? This pretty much constrains the common
                                development platform to Filemaker Pro. Are there enough Mac users
                                out there to justify a multi-platform development effort.

                                James Francisco
                              • Sean Scott
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 19 12:25 PM
                                  >> The program must run on a WINTEL machine and should also run on a
                                  >> Mac.
                                  >
                                  > Not asking for much are we? This pretty much constrains the common
                                  > development platform to Filemaker Pro. Are there enough Mac users
                                  > out there to justify a multi-platform development effort.

                                  Yes, there are Mac users out there. I'm typing this on a keyboard/monitor
                                  connected through a switch to a PowerBook G4 , Windows 2000 workstation, and
                                  Linux and Solaris servers. At home I have Windows, Linux and Unix boxes.

                                  Why stop with Mac compatibility? There are Linux and BSD users out there,
                                  too. How about MySQL, which runs on all the UNIX flavors, plus Mac, Windows,
                                  BSD, Solaris, etc. It uses a standardized SQL language, is open source
                                  (read: FREE when used for non-commercial purposes) and well supported by the
                                  community. Why force users to purchase FileMaker, Access, Oracle, SQL
                                  Server, etc., to run your application when you can zip/tar/stuff your
                                  application along with the typical MySQL distributions? Provided you ran
                                  this as a grassroots effort, the terms of the GNU public license would allow
                                  you to write a complete application and distribute it free of charge.

                                  In fact, many ISP already support MySQL for their account holders,
                                  especially business accounts. I would assume that many district and council
                                  web pages fall under this description, and could host the database with
                                  password protection, allowing the training chairs to maintain the records.
                                  Where a district or council doesn't yet have this access, an individual
                                  could manage the information and later export it to the district/council
                                  once they emerge from the dark ages. <grin>

                                  This circumvents the need for individuals to know a programming language,
                                  purchase software, etc. and still be able to take advantage of an
                                  application.

                                  Sounds like a ticket item! If anyone on the list is interested in
                                  collaborating on such a project, let me know. I design databases for a
                                  living. In fact, I've already designed one to track training within our
                                  district, and could convert it to MySQL without too much difficulty. I'm
                                  sure there's a web developer or two out there that could handle creating a
                                  web-based front end to allow manipulation of the database.

                                  What we would need to know are the formats that ScoutNet2000 expects, and
                                  what functionality people want from such an offering. I think someone has
                                  already addressed the functionality issue. Anyone intimate with
                                  ScoutNet2000?
                                  --
                                  Sean Scott
                                  Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                  Cub Scout Training Chairman
                                  Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                                  WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                                • Vernon Podlasek
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 19 1:21 PM
                                    I know that I have many in our District that would enjoy a duel platform
                                    system.

                                    YiS
                                    Vernon
                                    On 6/19/01 1:33 PMJames Francisco (res076dz@...) eloquently inscribed:

                                  • plsander299@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 19 1:27 PM
                                      My wife and I would be interested in such a project...
                                      She is the district training chair, and like you, a DB professional,
                                      and is amazed at the lack of training records locally.

                                      We are working on the table definitions and would be interested in
                                      seeing what has worked for others.

                                      In going for a generic solution... How about a cross platform front
                                      end (Java, Perl, any others?) and use the JDBC/ODBC interfaces? That
                                      way you could jack almost any SQL type DBM into the backend and run.
                                      Though MySQL is a good place to start - the price is right and it runs
                                      on almost any platform.

                                      Peter Sanders
                                      Cubmaster, Pack 69, Pine Island MN.

                                      --- In scouter_t@y..., Sean Scott <sscott@e...> wrote:

                                      > Sounds like a ticket item! If anyone on the list is interested in
                                      > collaborating on such a project, let me know. I design databases for
                                      > living. In fact, I've already designed one to track training within
                                      our
                                      > district, and could convert it to MySQL without too much difficulty.
                                      I'm
                                      > sure there's a web developer or two out there that could handle
                                      creating a
                                      > web-based front end to allow manipulation of the database.
                                      >
                                      > What we would need to know are the formats that ScoutNet2000
                                      expects, and
                                      > what functionality people want from such an offering. I think
                                      someone has
                                      > already addressed the functionality issue. Anyone intimate with
                                      > ScoutNet2000?
                                      > --
                                      > Sean Scott
                                    • Hank Voegtle
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 19 2:01 PM
                                        PMJI, but this nuts and bolts discussion on tracking training leads me to
                                        think that while y'all are doing this grand design why not include an input
                                        device such as a bar code reader or magnetic stripe reader for quickly
                                        recording registration information (from a locally produced card since
                                        national's is still akin to the technology that produced my first
                                        membership card in 1960).

                                        Wait, wait, why not an infrared port and registration information could be
                                        beamed from PDAs.

                                        Don't get me wrong, but this front-end, back-end, language discussion is
                                        going over my head. I recognize the problem and was affected by it when I
                                        lost one of my training cards and had to take the course over. In reality,
                                        unless course information is as easily inputted as hot syncing my PDA, the
                                        data is going to languish on someone's desk till it is considered too old
                                        for any good.

                                        Yours in Scouting,

                                        Hank Voegtle
                                        Eagle-Class of '68
                                        I used to be a Fox . . . (SR-Y2K-X2)
                                        Cubmaster, Pack 456, North Trail District, Circle Ten Council
                                        Member, North Trail District Membership Committee

                                        At 08:27 PM 6/19/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                        >My wife and I would be interested in such a project...
                                        >She is the district training chair, and like you, a DB professional,
                                        >and is amazed at the lack of training records locally.
                                        >
                                        >We are working on the table definitions and would be interested in
                                        >seeing what has worked for others.
                                        >
                                        >In going for a generic solution... How about a cross platform front
                                        >end (Java, Perl, any others?) and use the JDBC/ODBC interfaces? That
                                        >way you could jack almost any SQL type DBM into the backend and run.
                                        >Though MySQL is a good place to start - the price is right and it runs
                                        >on almost any platform.
                                        >
                                        >Peter Sanders
                                        >Cubmaster, Pack 69, Pine Island MN.
                                        >

                                        >--- In scouter_t@y..., Sean Scott <sscott@e...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Sounds like a ticket item! If anyone on the list is interested in
                                        > > collaborating on such a project, let me know. I design databases for
                                        > > living. In fact, I've already designed one to track training within
                                        >our
                                        > > district, and could convert it to MySQL without too much difficulty.
                                        >I'm
                                        > > sure there's a web developer or two out there that could handle
                                        >creating a
                                        > > web-based front end to allow manipulation of the database.
                                        > >
                                        > > What we would need to know are the formats that ScoutNet2000
                                        >expects, and
                                        > > what functionality people want from such an offering. I think
                                        >someone has
                                        > > already addressed the functionality issue. Anyone intimate with
                                        > > ScoutNet2000?
                                        > > --
                                        > > Sean Scott

                                        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Henry J. Voegtle
                                      • Sean Scott
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 19 2:35 PM
                                          Hank wrote: In reality, unless course information is as easily inputted as
                                          hot syncing my PDA, the data is going to languish on someone's desk till it
                                          is considered too old for any good.

                                          Our council VP of training told the training chairs that we needed to keep
                                          our own records because they had no idea who had had what training when
                                          because they didn't know where the records were, assuming they even existed.
                                          They think all the old paperwork was tossed when someone heard about
                                          ScoutNet2000 and thought that it would "just know" on its own.

                                          Be it ScoutNet2000, a purchased product, a developed tool or a file drawer,
                                          an action needs to take place to store the information. I trust the folks in
                                          my district to responsibly undertake that action before I do the staff at
                                          council.

                                          Training attendance rosters on their own are useless. The problem is
                                          extracting useful information from them. I think many of us would rather
                                          have them in a database or spreadsheet where we can manipulate them and see,
                                          quickly, what units have no training, who needs to update YPT, which units
                                          qualify for 100% trained ribbons, who isn't going to RT, etc. If we can
                                          achieve that, and make a tool that others without programming and database
                                          background can use, too, I think we've done something worthwhile. Once
                                          that's done, using the tool to keep records up to date becomes a simple
                                          matter of motivation.

                                          --
                                          Sean Scott
                                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                          Cub Scout Training Chairman
                                          Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                                          WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                                        • Kevin Pate
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 19 2:39 PM
                                            No offense to Hank, Scott, Peter and whom ever else
                                            has been discussing the database stuff, but umm, well,
                                            gollygeewilikers, if nothing else, I just got a
                                            refresher in how our brand new den leaders must feel
                                            at their first gathering as the seasoned ones kick
                                            around discussions of badges, arrowpoints, pins,
                                            advancement books, G2SS, "two deep", Safety Afloat,
                                            Climb On, COPE and various other tidbits of what seems
                                            to the seasoned as just every day conversation.

                                            Kevin Pate
                                            Norman, OK
                                            who's most common computer questions begin with "I put
                                            the pointy thingy on the picture thingy and tapped my
                                            finger twice but nothing happened. I guess I broke
                                            something again" 8^)

                                            http://buzz.yahoo.com/
                                          • James Francisco
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 19 4:12 PM
                                              --- In scouter_t@y..., Sean Scott <sscott@e...> wrote:
                                              > Why stop with Mac compatibility? There are Linux and BSD users out
                                              > there, too. How about MySQL, which runs on all the UNIX flavors,
                                              > plus Mac, Windows, BSD, Solaris, etc. It uses a standardized SQL
                                              > language,

                                              Reasonable enough. The one big downside is the lack of support for
                                              stored procedures.

                                              > is open source(read: FREE when used for non-commercial purposes)

                                              Alternative reading, when you pay nothing, you get exactly what you
                                              pay for. ;)

                                              > and well supported by the community. Why force users to purchase
                                              > FileMaker, Access, Oracle, SQL Server, etc., to run your
                                              > application when you can zip/tar/stuff your application along with
                                              > the typical MySQL distributions?

                                              Using the example of an Access DB why does anyone other than the
                                              developer have to have a copy? As long as the final developer has a
                                              copy of Office Developer they have a royalty-free distribution
                                              license that allows them to create an application that does not
                                              require Access to be installed on the target computer.

                                              > Provided you ran this as a grassroots effort, the terms of the GNU
                                              > public license would allow you to write a complete application and
                                              > distribute it free of charge.

                                              That's no different from any other royalty-free distribution license.

                                              > In fact, many ISP already support MySQL for their account holders,
                                              > especially business accounts. I would assume that many district and
                                              > council web pages fall under this description, and could host the
                                              > database with password protection, allowing the training chairs to
                                              > maintain the records. Where a district or council doesn't yet have
                                              > this access, an individual could manage the information and later
                                              > export it to the district/council once they emerge from the dark
                                              > ages. <grin>

                                              NO, no, no! Do not trust this personal data to the "security" of some
                                              ISP. Every council has servers. Every council should have dial-up
                                              access capability to their servers as part of the Scoutnet 2000
                                              network infrastructure. As a security measure, all councils should
                                              be using caller-id authentication or callback authentication on their
                                              dial-up server.

                                              > This circumvents the need for individuals to know a programming
                                              > language, purchase software, etc. and still be able to take
                                              > advantage of an application.

                                              Someone needs to know SQL, PERL, VBA or some programming language to
                                              make it work. But, with a server-hosted system, only the development
                                              team needs to have access to any tools. As I've mentioned before,
                                              the user interface should be clean, simple, and self-explanatory. It
                                              should be simple enough that I could give my eleven-year old scout a
                                              list of data to enter and he could do it.

                                              James Francisco
                                              Prgram Chairman, Klahaya District
                                              Mt. Baker Council
                                            • Dave Loomis
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 19 9:10 PM
                                                Hey, James, I didn't even include the UNIX/LINUX folks. Cut me some
                                                slack. Please.

                                                Dave

                                                James Francisco wrote:

                                                > --- In scouter_t@y..., Dave Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > The program must run on a WINTEL machine and should also run on a
                                                > > Mac.
                                                >
                                                > Not asking for much are we? This pretty much constrains the common
                                                > development platform to Filemaker Pro. Are there enough Mac users
                                                > out there to justify a multi-platform development effort.
                                                >
                                                > James Francisco

                                                To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
                                                the mailto: address below

                                                Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
                                                164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
                                                Greenland, NH 03840
                                                Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
                                                possit materiari?
                                              • Judy Yeager
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 19 10:27 PM
                                                  Sean Scott wrote: . . .which units qualify for 100% trained ribbons. .
                                                  .

                                                  Hey Sean -

                                                  Tell me about this one! Are these flag streamers? Do they have the
                                                  year printed on them? Where do you get the ribbons? How do you
                                                  finance? Any other questions I forgot?

                                                  Thanks,

                                                  Judy Yeager
                                                • Ted Burton
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 20 5:55 AM
                                                    At 00:10 -0400 on 6/20/01, Dave Loomis spoke about Re: [Scouter_T]
                                                    Re: Tracking Individual Training thusly:

                                                    > Hey, James, I didn't even include the UNIX/LINUX folks. Cut me some
                                                    >slack. Please.
                                                    >
                                                    ><snip>
                                                    > > Not asking for much are we? This pretty much constrains the common
                                                    >> development platform to Filemaker Pro. Are there enough Mac users
                                                    > > out there to justify a multi-platform development effort.

                                                    Well, James, last I heard there were about 26,000,000 Mac users, and
                                                    about 10% of current sales. The latest Mac operating system has Unix
                                                    roots and is attracting a lot of interest from tech types. You ain't
                                                    seen nothin' yet .. <G> Give me access to 26,000,000 customers
                                                    anytime.
                                                    --
                                                  • Sean Scott
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 20 8:08 AM
                                                      Judy asked: Tell me about this one! Are these flag streamers? Do they have
                                                      the year printed on them? Where do you get the ribbons? How do you
                                                      finance? Any other questions I forgot?

                                                      This is a new thing we're doing this year. They are flag streamers (like a
                                                      Quality Unit Award) and have the year on them. My DE has a source for these,
                                                      which I believe is a local trophy shop. We had similar ribbons printed for
                                                      100% FOS units.

                                                      Training incentives in our district this year include the flag streamer for
                                                      units with 100% of uniformed leaders (CM, CA, den leaders and assistants)
                                                      being trained and attending at least 1 RT. We're giving out Fast Start
                                                      videos to every unit that registers a Pack Trainer and has them attend a
                                                      Trainer Development Conference.

                                                      As far as financing, some is from FOS, and some is profit from district
                                                      events like our camporee or day camp. Folks in our district don't seem to
                                                      mind paying late fees, and it's not unusual for us to be at 15 boys two
                                                      weeks before day camp and have 115 five days later!
                                                      --
                                                      Sean Scott
                                                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                                      Cub Scout Training Chairman
                                                      Day Camp Director, Tahquitz District

                                                      WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                                                    • Ida Lively
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 21 5:20 AM
                                                        I use a MAC and do all of my database developing in FileMaker pro.

                                                        I agree, if you're going to create something, you should think about the
                                                        availability across platforms. Not everyone uses a PC or MAC for that
                                                        matter.

                                                        In the company I work for we have MULTIPLE databases (much to my chagrin)
                                                        because the "PC people" find a GREAT program that reports to be cross
                                                        platform, but runs very very VERY slowly on the MAC (even on the G4's!).
                                                        We're in the process of combining everything into one compatible database
                                                        ... what a headache.

                                                        Ida