Webelos Leader Outdoor Training

  • Dee Dee
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 12, 2001
      Do you have any fun ways that you promote this training?

      Do you have sample fliers?

      We are working on our Fall event and thought it would be great to
      pull in some different ideas.

      Dee Dee Cobb
      Middle Tennessee Council
    • Vicki Ballard
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12, 2001
        When we had this program 10 years ago we promoted it at round tables as a
        skit deal with webelos leaders, cub scouts with how they did things wrong
        and then the correct way after they went to training.
        > Do you have any fun ways that you promote this training?
        >
        > Do you have sample fliers?
        >
        > We are working on our Fall event and thought it would be great to
        > pull in some different ideas.
        >
        > Dee Dee Cobb
        > Middle Tennessee Council

      • Peter J Murray
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 12, 2001
          OLT Skit

          Host- Good evening, good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to tonight's
          show of "Answer me this..." Tonight's contestants are; Tess the hard working
          Den Leader, who wants the very best for her boys., Carl the Cubmaster, who
          wants to learn ALL he can and the limey SUPER SCOUTER who already thinks he
          knows just about everything there is to know about Cub Scouting and the out
          doors. I would like to point out how lucky we are to have the limey Super
          Scouter here tonight, I am sure we will all learn a lot from such a big know
          it all.

          (Adlibbing is allowed and even encouraged here... allow the host time to
          adlib between answers)

          Okay contestants, you know the rules... our first question is...
          Where can I learn how to camp so I don't' look too bad when I take
          my boys out camping with the Boy Scouts??

          SS- adlibs something about Super Scouter's Super Camp for way ward
          leaders...
          Tess- Maybe we can read all about it in our Webelos and Boy Scout
          Hanbooks???
          Carl... oooh oooh,,, I know! I Know! GO to Outdoor Leader's
          Training! They taught me a lot there... How and where to pitch my tent and
          how to tie it up. They even taught me how to light and run a really cool
          campfire!!!

          Next question... Where can I learn to teach my boys how to cook for their
          Bear and Webelos badges???

          SS- Well first you dig a great big limey pit in your back yard... at
          least ten feet wide...
          Carl- I have read a few books on the foil cooking, but they left me
          with a lot more questions...
          Tess- oooh oooh,,, I know! I Know! GO to Outdoor Leader's Training!
          They taught me a lot there... We made all this yummy food from scratch...
          each of us did. I didn't know just how easy and fun this part could be, but
          they showed us step by step. Now the whole pack thinks I am a real cooking
          whiz!!!

          Next question... Where is the best place to learn about other Webelos
          activity pins...

          SS- adlib something about making a great walk-about to the various
          councils and such... add it only should take you a couple of years at
          best...
          Tess... Well, I have read the book and it helps some, but I am not
          sure I can dot it...
          Carl- oooh oooh,,, I know! I Know! GO to Outdoor Leader's Training!
          They taught me a lot there... I learned about Outdoorsman, Readyman,
          Geologist, Forester, and more! The staff were all friendly and really gave
          us a lot of time to teach us how to teach our boys.

          And finally... Where can you absolutely have the very best time while
          preparing yourself to become a great Bear and Webelos Den Leader???

          SS- Well you can always come spend some time with me and blokes,
          while we play some rugby and pick our noses...
          Carl... Well, there is always University of Scouting, but they have
          a lot of other things I want to learn there to...
          Tess- oooh oooh,,, I know! I Know! GO to Outdoor Leader's Training!
          They taught me a lot there... We had the best time singing and cavorting
          through LaNoChe with a lot of new friends. I don't think I ever laughed so
          hard and learned so much at the same time. We got to hang out in our own
          Dens and make things and oh! I could just go on...
          Anyway, it was too cool...

          "Fla-Bob" Pete Murray
          "A good ol' Bobwhite too..." NECS 59
          "A good ol' Eagle too... SR 394
          Council & District Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          Hekawee District
          Central Florida Council

          Do you have any fun ways that you promote this training?
        • Sean Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2001
            > OLT Skit

            Pete,

            Too funny! Consider it copied! I only hope that our humble band of wandering
            minstrels and actors can do it justice!
            --
            Sean Scott
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner

            WM-45-2-00 - "I used to be a Buffalo..."
          • ilialive@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 13, 2001
              Re: "I would like to point out how lucky we are to have the limey
              Super Scouter here tonight, I am sure we will all learn a lot from
              such a big know it all."

              I'd like to point out that "limey" is not exactly an endearing term
              to our cousins from across the Atlantic. I think that should be
              deleted from the skit. An ethnic "slur" (even when meant good-
              naturedly) is a slur, no matter who the "ethnic" is. Remember we are
              trying to set the example for our children! Maybe I'm oversensitive,
              being an "ethnic" myself ...

              YIS,
              Ilia Lively
              Mecklenburg County Council
              Charlotte NC
              SE-CS-19 - Antelope
              SR-200 - Eagle
            • Mills
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2003
                Hi All,

                Has anybody, anywhere, heard when the new WLOT syllabus will be coming
                to us? The release date has moved from late-summer to mid-autumn to ???

                Anybody have an answer?

                Thanks,
                Mary Ann Mills
              • Keith Tilley
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
                  The replacement syllabus for Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is obviously
                  running late. The current availability target is early this summer.

                  Keith Tilley
                  Cub Scout Leader Training Chair
                  Hudson Valley Council, NY
                • James Gallo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
                    The Brooklyn & Manhattan Councils of the Greater New York Councils will be
                    will be providing the "Introduction To Outdoor Leader Skills" course this
                    spring at our Alpine Scout Camp, Alpine NJ. It will be on April 26th & 27th.
                    There will be a required Pre-Meeting which covers the first few sessions.
                    There are two opportunities for the pre-meeting, March 26th in NYC and April
                    15th in Brooklyn.

                    We are also doing the BALOO course on March 15th at our Camp Pouch in Staten
                    Island, NY. This is now required for Cub Camping (at least one Leader must
                    be BALOO trained).

                    Visit the web links for more information or to sign up,

                    BALOO - http://brooklyncouncil.org/training/03-baloo-flyer.pdf

                    ITOLS - http://brooklyncouncil.org/training/gnyc-itols-03.htm

                    James Gallo
                    Leadership Development
                    Brooklyn Council
                  • Ken Todd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Does anybody have an update on when we can expect the new WLOT material to be published?

                      Yours in Scouting,
                      Ken
                      Council Cub Scout Training Chair

                    • John D. Halter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 16, 2003
                        I was just speaking to our DTC about this last week. I believe she
                        said it was supposed to be out in Dec-Jan, but there's no way to know for
                        sure. I think it was originally supposed to come out in October.
                        Along those lines, has anyone seen a new version of the Webelos
                        Leader Guide? I heard somewhere that there was a new version coming out to
                        go along with the new boys book.

                        Thank you,

                        John Halter
                        Cubmaster