Re: [Scouter_T] Looking for Ideas for RT

  • Peter Mullaney
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2009
      How to answer?

      I've been on CSRT Staff for somewhere around 15 years. I would guess our
      average attendance is ~ 40 people.
      Our goal is to make the RT fun plus informative. We do a pre-opening
      activity every RT. As people arrive they are assigned to one of four 'dens'
      (they get get name tags symbolic of their den.) and usually have to work on
      the pre-opening activity as 'dens'. Later on they do crafts and games as
      dens.

      At our planning meeting we take the Program Helps (PH) and the RT Planning
      Guide (RTPG) and brainstorm, we pluck out what we consider useable from
      these and add whatever we feel will work and fit the theme. We also do
      opening, announcements, intoductions, run-ons, songs, breakouts,
      refreshments, crafts, games, and closing. We make sure all participants are
      involved - they need to figure if the boys will enjoy the things we are
      doing. We also go around the room to see what the packs have used from what
      they got at previous RTs. For three years this staff contributed to the
      make-up of the PH and RTPG. I make up the song sheet each month and lead
      the songs at RT. At times I get creative and write a song for a particular
      RT. My song for March's Theme is below. I also put together a 'Dinomatch'
      game for our pre-opening. (If you'd like a copy drop me a note.)

      We give out a leather thong with the district name to all new people. Pony
      beads are awarded to be added to the thong. Each month there is an
      attendance bead given to everyone. Some months you can earn a bead for
      bring something pertinent to the theme (ex. this month something to do with
      'Jurassic' - dinosaurs, fossils, amber). Sometimes it's wearing a costume.
      Members of the Pack that provides the refreshments get a 'refreshment
      bead'. Giving a 'trip of the month' earns a bead. Bringing a 'first timer'
      earns a bead. Taking training earns a bead. Our people go nuts for beads.
      Having people dress for the theme can be hilarious. Of course if the staff
      isn't totally into it you won't get the participants to buy in.Earlier this
      (scout) year I played the Moose in the 'Moose ring toss' with people
      flinging cut out paper plate rings at me.

      One of our judges of success is our attendance and the fact that after every
      RT we have people that don't seem to want to leave.

      *There Were Three Jolly Dinosaurs*

      (sung to: There Were Three Jolly Fishermen)

      (words by: Pete Mullaney Patriots� Path Council)

      There were three jolly dinosaurs,

      There were three jolly dinosaurs,

      Dino, dino, �saurs, saurs, saurs

      Dino, dino, �saurs, saurs, saurs