Looking for Ideas for RT

  • CubScoutDen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 3:12 PM
      Our RT is dragging lately, and I was wondering how others make it fun. We
      use the book and supplement from Baloo's Bugle, etc. We play games, have an
      opening and closing (with the theme) skit, cheers, etc. plus have a great email
      newsletter every month with all the announcements, directions for crafts,
      ceremonies, etc, that were done, etc. We break out into groups for specific
      information, and have refreshments. I don't know what more we can do, but
      people don't seem to be excited about being there like they were in the fall.

      Any ideas on how to jazz it up a bit?

      Lisa
      Mom to 3 boys
      Pack Trainer, ASM
      Cub RT Staff
      10th year in scouting!
      steps!
      %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5 4:18 PM
        I guess I would start by asking them why they come. Tell them you seem to see less and less enthusiasm and wonder what they would like to see to make it more interesting. To be honest when I was Cub RT commish (I run the Boy Scout side now) I used to have give aways and contests and one year I gave out scout bucks all year and then had a store at the end of the year of stuff I got donated.

        I believe mostly what you may be seeing is the beginning of the end of the year burn out.........

        connie

        --- On Thu, 3/5/09, CubScoutDen@... <CubScoutDen@...> wrote:
        Our RT is dragging lately, and I was wondering how others make it fun. We

      • sharon_kuroda
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 4:32 PM
          Lisa,
          Hmmm. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. We all go into lulls from time to time. Random suggestions: 1) Give aways 2) Have different units share an idea and recognize them for doing this. 3) Advertise a guest presenter presenting something they really are interested in.
          Another thought, have you held RT Basic for your RT commissioners? It is full of ideas to consider. Right now I am preparing a presentation on RT for our Commissioners College this Saturday.
          Sharon

        • chadc@charter.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5 5:38 PM
            My experience for making RT fun...
            A) Your RT staff needs to be able to make their own fun; banter, run-ons, fun energy.
            B) Then at RT, start pulling individuals (audience) into your fun. Fun is infectuous.
            C) Do the icebreaker silly games (not too long - find a balance)
            D) Tailor your breakouts to what your customers need. Have a planned topic/activity. But, be prepared to throw it out if one of your leaders need group help with boy behavior and reward systems.

            Prizes aren't bad. But, simple recognitions that are given out to regular attendees are good. We do a district necker and stars system. We give out a plain black neckerchief to all first timers. We have a district patch that they can buy. Then, we give out different colored stars to add to the scarf to recognize the adults. Every 3 RTs attended is a red star. Green star in you brought a new first-timer. Orange star for participating in community service. Purple star for attending training. And the covetted gold star for perfect attendance @ RT.

            Some thoughts...

            - Chad
            Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6 6:57 AM
              I've been mostly a lurker here, but Scouting has given so much to me that I'll try to give more back.

              I am BS-RT Commissioner for my District but all of our RT Commissioners work together. I understand that our CS-RT has a
              "Treasure Chest". (Everyone brings some kind of small supplies. ex. a handful of pencils, pads of paper, colored markers, etc. to put in the box.) At the end of the year (May) they have a prize drawing for the entire "Treasure Chest". At this time of year it also seems that the adults want less "program" and more time to discuss issues/problems/administration(Ex. special needs youth, unit finances, discipline issues, problem parents, GTSS, Tour Permits, etc.), so both BS and CS groups are giving more time to discussion and less to "Program".

              I like the idea of "rewards" for RT participation. We are looking at that ourselves. (I like the necker idea.) Maybe a RT Participation Knot!!! But always, we try to make it fun and relevant!!!

              Rob Sutton
              ASM - The "Lightning" Troop
              BS-RT Commissioner
              WB-750 "I used to be a Beaver"
              Staff for various and sundry adult and youth training.
            • Peter Mullaney
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6 11:06 AM
                How to answer?

                I've been on CSRT Staff for somewhere around 15 years. I would guess our
                average attendance is ~ 40 people.
                Our goal is to make the RT fun plus informative. We do a pre-opening
                activity every RT. As people arrive they are assigned to one of four 'dens'
                (they get get name tags symbolic of their den.) and usually have to work on
                the pre-opening activity as 'dens'. Later on they do crafts and games as
                dens.

                At our planning meeting we take the Program Helps (PH) and the RT Planning
                Guide (RTPG) and brainstorm, we pluck out what we consider useable from
                these and add whatever we feel will work and fit the theme. We also do
                opening, announcements, intoductions, run-ons, songs, breakouts,
                refreshments, crafts, games, and closing. We make sure all participants are
                involved - they need to figure if the boys will enjoy the things we are
                doing. We also go around the room to see what the packs have used from what
                they got at previous RTs. For three years this staff contributed to the
                make-up of the PH and RTPG. I make up the song sheet each month and lead
                the songs at RT. At times I get creative and write a song for a particular
                RT. My song for March's Theme is below. I also put together a 'Dinomatch'
                game for our pre-opening. (If you'd like a copy drop me a note.)

                We give out a leather thong with the district name to all new people. Pony
                beads are awarded to be added to the thong. Each month there is an
                attendance bead given to everyone. Some months you can earn a bead for
                bring something pertinent to the theme (ex. this month something to do with
                'Jurassic' - dinosaurs, fossils, amber). Sometimes it's wearing a costume.
                Members of the Pack that provides the refreshments get a 'refreshment
                bead'. Giving a 'trip of the month' earns a bead. Bringing a 'first timer'
                earns a bead. Taking training earns a bead. Our people go nuts for beads.
                Having people dress for the theme can be hilarious. Of course if the staff
                isn't totally into it you won't get the participants to buy in.Earlier this
                (scout) year I played the Moose in the 'Moose ring toss' with people
                flinging cut out paper plate rings at me.

                One of our judges of success is our attendance and the fact that after every
                RT we have people that don't seem to want to leave.

                *There Were Three Jolly Dinosaurs*

                (sung to: There Were Three Jolly Fishermen)

                (words by: Pete Mullaney Patriots� Path Council)

                There were three jolly dinosaurs,

                There were three jolly dinosaurs,

                Dino, dino, �saurs, saurs, saurs

                Dino, dino, �saurs, saurs, saurs