Skip to search.

Re: Leader Training Knots

  • Steve McDanal
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
      Good news! Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is going with me.Y.I.S., Steve McDanal Committee Chairman Webelos Den Leader Pack 1786 Unit Commissioner Pack 793Troop 793Crew 1782I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too... Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

      From: NeilLup@...: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:06:58 -0500Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training KnotsTo: stevemcd_pack1786@...; scouter_t@yahoogroups.comIn a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
      I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this pastSeptember or October in another district, but the remains of ahurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and theycanceled.Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. Ibought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thruthe whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your completion of this requirement based on self-study.Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be frustrating and handcuffs.Best wishes,Neil Lupton**************Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000022)
    • Michael D. Myjak
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
        NeilLup@... wrote:
        > <snip>
        > As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
        > method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
        > available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
        > completion of this requirement based on self-study [...]

        Neil,

        What is the process for getting one's card signed? Specifically, are
        there any tests that need to be taken/administered or is it just 'scouts
        honor'?

        thanks -

        Y.I.S.,
        -Michael
        CM P-702
        Canaveral District Committee
        (beaver)
      • huntro1
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
          I think he means the training card that you get at the completion of
          the course.

          Steve

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Myjak" <mmyjak@...>

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hello Michael,

            As you probably know, there are requirements cards for each of the Training
            Awards.

            http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx
            http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/CubScoutingForms/forms.aspx

            For example, here is the downloadable and printable card for the Webelos
            Den Leader Award:
            http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

            There is a space in each of these cards for a signature when a requirement is
            completed.

            Normally, this can be signed when a course is completed. I believe that
            the signature for the Den Leader award is supposed to be by the Cubmaster or
            Committee Chairman.

            The District Training Chairman can designate who is the appropriate person to
            certify completion based on personal coaching or self-study. Presumably,
            this person is someone who is a mentor/coach-counselor for the leader. It
            might be a Commissioner, it might be the Pack Trainer for a Pack or it might
            be some other leader or it could be the District Training Chairman. If
            could, of course, just be the Cubmaster or Committee Chairman as they are the
            ones who can sign the card. If you have an active Commissioner, this person
            can take the initiative in seeing that the requirements get completed and the
            award made.

            In short, there is no one "official" way to get this done. The District
            Training Chairman has a lot of flexibility in seeing that training
            requirements are met.

            I hope that is the information you want. If not, please clarify and I'll
            try to find out more for you.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton