Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training Knots

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
      In a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

      > I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
      > September or October in another district, but the remains of a
      > hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
      > canceled.
      >
      > Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
      > bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
      > the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.

      As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
      method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
      available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
      completion of this requirement based on self-study.

      Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do
      Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and
      rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be
      frustrating and handcuffs.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Steve McDanal
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
        Good news! Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is going with me.Y.I.S., Steve McDanal Committee Chairman Webelos Den Leader Pack 1786 Unit Commissioner Pack 793Troop 793Crew 1782I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too... Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

        From: NeilLup@...: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:06:58 -0500Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training KnotsTo: stevemcd_pack1786@...; scouter_t@yahoogroups.comIn a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
        I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this pastSeptember or October in another district, but the remains of ahurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and theycanceled.Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. Ibought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thruthe whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your completion of this requirement based on self-study.Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be frustrating and handcuffs.Best wishes,Neil Lupton**************Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000022)
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
          In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

          > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new
          > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is
          > going with me.

          Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed there too.

          I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training Chairman and
          see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have your Training
          Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be a nice
          example to the other participants.

          You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting and at your
          Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award presented more
          than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to earn.

          We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.

          Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you participate?

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • huntro1
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
            I did Den Visits last night as Committee Chair. I know it's not my
            job, but I like to check in with them a couple times a year to talk to
            the parents and answer questions or pass along info. Anyway, when
            visiting the Bear den, I told them their DL was stepping down at the
            end of the year and I needed a DL for Webelos. I had a target in mind
            before I arrived and he did not fail me. He stepped right up. Part of
            my pitch to the parents was telling them about the course April 18th.
            The leader to be is going to it with me!!!!!!!!!

            Not only did I get a DL, I think I got an ADL as well. I'm going to
            follow up with this prospect at B&G on Sunday. He's got 3 boys in the
            Pack. Wolf, Bear and W2. They JUST joined 2 weeks ago, but all are
            getting their Bobcat at B&G. I have agreed to work with the W2 on an
            individual basis till either June 1 or July 25 (if he goes for his AOL)
            and then cross him over to Boy Scouts. Anyway, if the ADL does sign
            on, he has also said he'd go to the course in April.

            I must be doing something right...
            Steve

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
            > join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
            > other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
            > them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
            > couple years. ;)
            >
            > Ida

          • huntro1
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
              Neil,
              Hadn't thought about the awarding at the end of the course. Good
              idea. Definately want it awarded at RT too though since nobody else
              has gotten the award since I've been going (5 years now). I always
              take the awards at RT and have them presented again at the Pack
              Meeting so the boys can see their DL getting it.

              RE: Wood Badge
              I am currently a Troop Guide for NE-IV-205. Course completed June
              2008, now the participants are working their tickets. Hope to be
              staff again once they are all done.

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
              >

              > > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I
              recruited a new
              > > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night
              and he is
              > > going with me.
              > >

              > Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed
              there too.

              > I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training
              Chairman and
              > see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have
              your Training
              > Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be
              a nice
              > example to the other participants.
              >
              > You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting
              and at your
              > Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award
              presented more
              > than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to
              earn.

              > We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.
              >
              > Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you
              participate?

              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Neil Lupton

            • Michael D. Myjak
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                NeilLup@... wrote:
                > <snip>
                > As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                > method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                > available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                > completion of this requirement based on self-study [...]

                Neil,

                What is the process for getting one's card signed? Specifically, are
                there any tests that need to be taken/administered or is it just 'scouts
                honor'?

                thanks -

                Y.I.S.,
                -Michael
                CM P-702
                Canaveral District Committee
                (beaver)
              • huntro1
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                  I think he means the training card that you get at the completion of
                  the course.

                  Steve

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Myjak" <mmyjak@...>

                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Hello Michael,

                    As you probably know, there are requirements cards for each of the Training
                    Awards.

                    http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx
                    http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/CubScoutingForms/forms.aspx

                    For example, here is the downloadable and printable card for the Webelos
                    Den Leader Award:
                    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

                    There is a space in each of these cards for a signature when a requirement is
                    completed.

                    Normally, this can be signed when a course is completed. I believe that
                    the signature for the Den Leader award is supposed to be by the Cubmaster or
                    Committee Chairman.

                    The District Training Chairman can designate who is the appropriate person to
                    certify completion based on personal coaching or self-study. Presumably,
                    this person is someone who is a mentor/coach-counselor for the leader. It
                    might be a Commissioner, it might be the Pack Trainer for a Pack or it might
                    be some other leader or it could be the District Training Chairman. If
                    could, of course, just be the Cubmaster or Committee Chairman as they are the
                    ones who can sign the card. If you have an active Commissioner, this person
                    can take the initiative in seeing that the requirements get completed and the
                    award made.

                    In short, there is no one "official" way to get this done. The District
                    Training Chairman has a lot of flexibility in seeing that training
                    requirements are met.

                    I hope that is the information you want. If not, please clarify and I'll
                    try to find out more for you.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton