What does it take to be "Trained?"

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Can you answer that question definitively? Seems like I read last late summer/early fall that National had decided that NLE should be the last course taken, not one of the first. Seems like I also read that to be trained, National now required Fast Start, YP, NLE and position specific. Can't find the references.

      Can any one help me?

      Judy Yeager

    • Jamie Niss Dunn
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        Can you answer that question definitively? Seems like I read last late summer/early fall that National had decided that NLE should be the last course taken, not one of the first. Seems like I also read that to be trained, National now required Fast Start, YP, NLE and position specific. Can't find the references.
        _____________

        I think this is what you remember:

        A leadership guide revised

        Find out how easy and fun Cub Scouting can be with the newly revised Cub Scout Leader Position-Specific Training guide. The guide offers exciting new features including a “see, say, and do” presentation with hands-on exercises that train leaders in skills such as running a den meeting, pack activities, and pack meetings.

        “Recognizing how valuable our Cub Scout volunteer’s time is today,” said Jamie Shearer, associate national director of the Cub Scout Division, “we’ve bundled all the skills necessary for a position into two 45-minute introductory modules that every leader will take and a separate 90-minute session
        for each of the specific positions.”

        Those positions include Tiger Cub leaders, Wolf and Bear den leaders and assistants, Webelos den leaders and assistants, Cubmasters and assistant Cubmasters, pack committee chairs and committee members, and pack trainers.

        This revised training is one of four basic courses for new leaders; the others are Fast Start, Youth Protection, and New Leader Essentials. Fast Start acquaints new leaders with basic information about their position
        . Youth Protection guides leaders in protecting children from abuse and drug abuse. New Leader Essentials highlights the values, aims, history, funding, and methods of Scouting.

        As of Jan. 1, 2008, the BSA requires Cub Scout leaders to complete each of these courses to earn the Trained emblem to wear on their uniform. Cub Scout Leader Specific Training is the only one of the four modules that is still instructor-led, giving attendees the opportunity to meet other leaders and learn about available resources.

        The syllabus and support materials should be delivered to every district in each local council by this spring.

        http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0805/d-news.html

        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        3 Rivers District
        Scouting. Good for Life.

      • Judy Yeager
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          Thanks, Jamie. I knew I didn't imagine this! The professional that I work with has quoted several other National sources and they all conflict each other!

          Judy Yeager