Re: [Scouter_T] Leader Training Knots

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
      IMHO no way can this be accomplished correctly. National agrees with me
      theses clourses can not be combined.

      Ed Harvey
      Dutchess District Training Chair
      Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

      In a message dated 2/3/2009 6:58:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      tburke57@... writes:

      my council decided that the Intro to outdoor Leader Skills would satisfy
      this requirement. We are now teaching a single course which covers all three
      courses (Baloo, OWL, and IOLS) I have also done individual mentoring/teaching
      to satisfy requirments.

      net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

    • huntro1
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
        I found a course!!!!!!!
        Turns out one of my Wood Badge patrolmates is runing a course in
        April in a neighboring district.
        Y.I.S.
        Steve

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@...>
        wrote:

        > All,
        > Thank you for your help. My district training chair found me 2
        > courses in my council. Emails sent. Now I am awaiting info from
        the
        > POC for the courses.
        >
        > Y.I.S.
        > Steve
        >
        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@>
        wrote:

        > > I have a question and would like some feedback.
        > > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
        > > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get
        > > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
        district
        > > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
        taking
        > > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
        > >
        > > Y.I.S.,
        > > Steve McDanal
        > >
        > > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...
        > >
        > > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
          Steve,

          Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
          join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
          other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
          them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
          couple years. ;)

          Ida
        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
            In a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

            > I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
            > September or October in another district, but the remains of a
            > hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
            > canceled.
            >
            > Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
            > bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
            > the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.

            As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
            method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
            available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
            completion of this requirement based on self-study.

            Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do
            Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and
            rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be
            frustrating and handcuffs.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • Steve McDanal
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
              Good news! Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is going with me.Y.I.S., Steve McDanal Committee Chairman Webelos Den Leader Pack 1786 Unit Commissioner Pack 793Troop 793Crew 1782I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too... Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

              From: NeilLup@...: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:06:58 -0500Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training KnotsTo: stevemcd_pack1786@...; scouter_t@yahoogroups.comIn a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
              I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this pastSeptember or October in another district, but the remains of ahurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and theycanceled.Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. Ibought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thruthe whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your completion of this requirement based on self-study.Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be frustrating and handcuffs.Best wishes,Neil Lupton**************Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000022)
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

                > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new
                > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is
                > going with me.

                Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed there too.

                I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training Chairman and
                see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have your Training
                Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be a nice
                example to the other participants.

                You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting and at your
                Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award presented more
                than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to earn.

                We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.

                Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you participate?

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • huntro1
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                  I did Den Visits last night as Committee Chair. I know it's not my
                  job, but I like to check in with them a couple times a year to talk to
                  the parents and answer questions or pass along info. Anyway, when
                  visiting the Bear den, I told them their DL was stepping down at the
                  end of the year and I needed a DL for Webelos. I had a target in mind
                  before I arrived and he did not fail me. He stepped right up. Part of
                  my pitch to the parents was telling them about the course April 18th.
                  The leader to be is going to it with me!!!!!!!!!

                  Not only did I get a DL, I think I got an ADL as well. I'm going to
                  follow up with this prospect at B&G on Sunday. He's got 3 boys in the
                  Pack. Wolf, Bear and W2. They JUST joined 2 weeks ago, but all are
                  getting their Bobcat at B&G. I have agreed to work with the W2 on an
                  individual basis till either June 1 or July 25 (if he goes for his AOL)
                  and then cross him over to Boy Scouts. Anyway, if the ADL does sign
                  on, he has also said he'd go to the course in April.

                  I must be doing something right...
                  Steve

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

                  > Steve,
                  >
                  > Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
                  > join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
                  > other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
                  > them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
                  > couple years. ;)
                  >
                  > Ida

                • huntro1
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Neil,
                    Hadn't thought about the awarding at the end of the course. Good
                    idea. Definately want it awarded at RT too though since nobody else
                    has gotten the award since I've been going (5 years now). I always
                    take the awards at RT and have them presented again at the Pack
                    Meeting so the boys can see their DL getting it.

                    RE: Wood Badge
                    I am currently a Troop Guide for NE-IV-205. Course completed June
                    2008, now the participants are working their tickets. Hope to be
                    staff again once they are all done.

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
                    >

                    > > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I
                    recruited a new
                    > > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night
                    and he is
                    > > going with me.
                    > >

                    > Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed
                    there too.

                    > I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training
                    Chairman and
                    > see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have
                    your Training
                    > Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be
                    a nice
                    > example to the other participants.
                    >
                    > You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting
                    and at your
                    > Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award
                    presented more
                    > than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to
                    earn.

                    > We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.
                    >
                    > Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you
                    participate?

                    > Best wishes,
                    >
                    > Neil Lupton

                  • Michael D. Myjak
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                      NeilLup@... wrote:
                      > <snip>
                      > As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                      > method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                      > available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                      > completion of this requirement based on self-study [...]

                      Neil,

                      What is the process for getting one's card signed? Specifically, are
                      there any tests that need to be taken/administered or is it just 'scouts
                      honor'?

                      thanks -

                      Y.I.S.,
                      -Michael
                      CM P-702
                      Canaveral District Committee
                      (beaver)
                    • huntro1
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                        I think he means the training card that you get at the completion of
                        the course.

                        Steve

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Myjak" <mmyjak@...>

                      • NeilLup@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Hello Michael,

                          As you probably know, there are requirements cards for each of the Training
                          Awards.

                          http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx
                          http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/CubScoutingForms/forms.aspx

                          For example, here is the downloadable and printable card for the Webelos
                          Den Leader Award:
                          http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

                          There is a space in each of these cards for a signature when a requirement is
                          completed.

                          Normally, this can be signed when a course is completed. I believe that
                          the signature for the Den Leader award is supposed to be by the Cubmaster or
                          Committee Chairman.

                          The District Training Chairman can designate who is the appropriate person to
                          certify completion based on personal coaching or self-study. Presumably,
                          this person is someone who is a mentor/coach-counselor for the leader. It
                          might be a Commissioner, it might be the Pack Trainer for a Pack or it might
                          be some other leader or it could be the District Training Chairman. If
                          could, of course, just be the Cubmaster or Committee Chairman as they are the
                          ones who can sign the card. If you have an active Commissioner, this person
                          can take the initiative in seeing that the requirements get completed and the
                          award made.

                          In short, there is no one "official" way to get this done. The District
                          Training Chairman has a lot of flexibility in seeing that training
                          requirements are met.

                          I hope that is the information you want. If not, please clarify and I'll
                          try to find out more for you.

                          Best wishes,

                          Neil Lupton