Re: Leader Training Knots

  • huntro1
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
      Ida,
      Thank you. I'll check with her and see about signing off on it
      without the course. She's the one that told me that council is
      looking to take it back, so she knows I've been trying to find it.
      I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
      September or October in another district, but the remains of a
      hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
      canceled.

      Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
      bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
      the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.
      My Webelos are crossing over on Sunday. They ALL earned their AOL
      and are crossing over into Boy Scouts. But since I am also the CC
      for my Pack, and I tell my DLs that they have to take the training
      appropriate for their positions, I have to lead by example. Little
      did I know 2 years ago how difficult it would be to find the course.

      Y.I.S.,
      Steve McDanal

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > Far be it from me to change requirements <*said very tongue in
      cheek
      > -- read why below*> , but I'd check with your district training
      chair
      > -- the person who signs off on the knot requirements how they feel
      > about signing off w/out OWL/WOLF/WLOT being completed.
      >

      > Last year, I had two individuals who, just as I stepped down from
      the
      > District Training chair, submitted their requests for knots. What
      > they were missing was PowWow or Roundtable. They were pre-
      registered
      > to take our PowWow which was canceled because of low pre-
      registration.

      > To *me* that counted -- they would have attended if we would have
      had
      > the course.
      >
      > To the Council training chair [the person covering training at the
      > district until my replacement could be found], they needed ALL of
      the
      > requirements to be met. His compromise was that they needed to
      attend
      > all remaining Roundtables, and serve as training staff at another
      > training. OH .. and they were each leaving their roles at the end
      of
      > that school year (two months away).
      >
      > Eventually, I convinced our Council training chair conceded to my
      > point of view. *I* signed their cards at the first RT they attended
      > because the District Chair was tied up elsewhere. The two leaders
      then
      > attended the second RT which was our annual picnic and awards
      banquet
      > where they received their knots.
      >

      > So .... ask your District Training Chair if they'll sign off since
      > there hasn't been a training held, and doesn't appear to be a
      training
      > going to be held in the near future.
      >
      > Alternatively, BSA training is BSA training. You should be able to
      > take the training in another district/council and get credit for
      it in
      > your district/council ... as long as you get the Trained Card
      saying
      > that you took it.
      >

      > Ida
      > - former District Training Chair, Nittany Mountain District,
      Juniata
      > Valley Council
      >

      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@>
      wrote:

      > > I have a question and would like some feedback.
      > > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
      > > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get
      > > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
      district
      > > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
      taking
      > > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
      > >
      > > Y.I.S.,
      > > Steve McDanal

    • Wally Hymel
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
        I've not heard of waivers for awards, perhaps a "test out", administered by
        the district or council training team may be more in line.

        Wally Hymel

        From: Kent Wolfe <kentw@... <mailto:kentw%40nslp.org> >
        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 1:10 PM

        I have never heard of a waiver for a requirement. If there were a
        waiver, it would be saying councils/districts can determine their own
        qualifications. If leaders are looking to earn this award, they need to
        beat down the doors of the council/district training committees so that
        it gets provided.

        As a past district training chair and also having spent time on the
        council training committee, I can say that this training is not a
        highly-sought experience. I ran the Webs training for at least 10
        years, and we offered it only once a year because #s were fairly low.
        Someone has to get it offered and then do some heavy promoting.

        With all that said, we went to offering this at the same time we did
        BALOO. We didn't do sessions together because they both had different
        focuses, but we did share the model campsite as a demo. We shared in
        the opening and the closing "campfire". We also shared in lunch -- one
        prepared the desserts and the other the lunch. Then someone from each
        side had to explain how they prepared it. It seemed to help improve
        numbers a little because of carpooling for the two trainings. The # of
        the Webs trainings did increase when we worked the two side by side.

        My $0.02.

        Kent Wolfe
        Lincoln, NE

        I have a question and would like some feedback.
        If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
        Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get a
        waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my district
        has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of taking
        it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.

        Y.I.S.,
        Steve McDanal

        I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...

        Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

      • Tom Burke
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
          my council decided that the Intro to outdoor Leader Skills would satisfy this requirement. We are now teaching a single course which covers all three courses (Baloo, OWL, and IOLS) I have also done individual mentoring/teaching to satisfy requirments.

          Tom Burke

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
            All,
            Thank you for your help. My district training chair found me 2
            courses in my council. Emails sent. Now I am awaiting info from the
            POC for the courses.

            Y.I.S.
            Steve

          • ed5870@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
              This year we are trying something different. Baloo on April 25 (Saturday) 8-4 and Outdoor leaders skills for Webelos leaders Saturday 5 PM till Sunday 5 PM. Avoids the staff from having to give up two weekends.

              We normally have BALOO in the spring and OWL in the winter.

              Ed Harvey
              Training Chair
              Dutchess District Hudson Valley Council
              Ever Scout deserves a Trained Leader

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                IMHO no way can this be accomplished correctly. National agrees with me
                theses clourses can not be combined.

                Ed Harvey
                Dutchess District Training Chair
                Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

                In a message dated 2/3/2009 6:58:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                tburke57@... writes:

                my council decided that the Intro to outdoor Leader Skills would satisfy
                this requirement. We are now teaching a single course which covers all three
                courses (Baloo, OWL, and IOLS) I have also done individual mentoring/teaching
                to satisfy requirments.

                net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

              • huntro1
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                  I found a course!!!!!!!
                  Turns out one of my Wood Badge patrolmates is runing a course in
                  April in a neighboring district.
                  Y.I.S.
                  Steve

                  wrote:

                  > All,
                  > Thank you for your help. My district training chair found me 2
                  > courses in my council. Emails sent. Now I am awaiting info from
                  the
                  > POC for the courses.
                  >
                  > Y.I.S.
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@>
                  wrote:

                  > > I have a question and would like some feedback.
                  > > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
                  > > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get
                  > > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
                  district
                  > > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
                  taking
                  > > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
                  > >
                  > > Y.I.S.,
                  > > Steve McDanal
                  > >
                  > > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...
                  > >
                  > > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                • Ida Lively
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Steve,

                    Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
                    join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
                    other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
                    them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
                    couple years. ;)

                    Ida
                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                      In a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

                      > I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
                      > September or October in another district, but the remains of a
                      > hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
                      > canceled.
                      >
                      > Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
                      > bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
                      > the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.

                      As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                      method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                      available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                      completion of this requirement based on self-study.

                      Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do
                      Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and
                      rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be
                      frustrating and handcuffs.

                      Best wishes,

                      Neil Lupton

                    • Steve McDanal
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                        Good news! Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is going with me.Y.I.S., Steve McDanal Committee Chairman Webelos Den Leader Pack 1786 Unit Commissioner Pack 793Troop 793Crew 1782I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too... Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                        From: NeilLup@...: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:06:58 -0500Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training KnotsTo: stevemcd_pack1786@...; scouter_t@yahoogroups.comIn a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
                        I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this pastSeptember or October in another district, but the remains of ahurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and theycanceled.Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. Ibought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thruthe whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your completion of this requirement based on self-study.Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be frustrating and handcuffs.Best wishes,Neil Lupton**************Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000022)
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                          In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

                          > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new
                          > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is
                          > going with me.

                          Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed there too.

                          I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training Chairman and
                          see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have your Training
                          Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be a nice
                          example to the other participants.

                          You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting and at your
                          Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award presented more
                          than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to earn.

                          We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.

                          Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you participate?

                          Best wishes,

                          Neil Lupton

                        • huntro1
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                            I did Den Visits last night as Committee Chair. I know it's not my
                            job, but I like to check in with them a couple times a year to talk to
                            the parents and answer questions or pass along info. Anyway, when
                            visiting the Bear den, I told them their DL was stepping down at the
                            end of the year and I needed a DL for Webelos. I had a target in mind
                            before I arrived and he did not fail me. He stepped right up. Part of
                            my pitch to the parents was telling them about the course April 18th.
                            The leader to be is going to it with me!!!!!!!!!

                            Not only did I get a DL, I think I got an ADL as well. I'm going to
                            follow up with this prospect at B&G on Sunday. He's got 3 boys in the
                            Pack. Wolf, Bear and W2. They JUST joined 2 weeks ago, but all are
                            getting their Bobcat at B&G. I have agreed to work with the W2 on an
                            individual basis till either June 1 or July 25 (if he goes for his AOL)
                            and then cross him over to Boy Scouts. Anyway, if the ADL does sign
                            on, he has also said he'd go to the course in April.

                            I must be doing something right...
                            Steve

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

                            > Steve,
                            >
                            > Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
                            > join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
                            > other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
                            > them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
                            > couple years. ;)
                            >
                            > Ida

                          • huntro1
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Neil,
                              Hadn't thought about the awarding at the end of the course. Good
                              idea. Definately want it awarded at RT too though since nobody else
                              has gotten the award since I've been going (5 years now). I always
                              take the awards at RT and have them presented again at the Pack
                              Meeting so the boys can see their DL getting it.

                              RE: Wood Badge
                              I am currently a Troop Guide for NE-IV-205. Course completed June
                              2008, now the participants are working their tickets. Hope to be
                              staff again once they are all done.

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
                              >

                              > > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I
                              recruited a new
                              > > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night
                              and he is
                              > > going with me.
                              > >

                              > Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed
                              there too.

                              > I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training
                              Chairman and
                              > see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have
                              your Training
                              > Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be
                              a nice
                              > example to the other participants.
                              >
                              > You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting
                              and at your
                              > Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award
                              presented more
                              > than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to
                              earn.

                              > We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.
                              >
                              > Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you
                              participate?

                              > Best wishes,
                              >
                              > Neil Lupton

                            • Michael D. Myjak
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                NeilLup@... wrote:
                                > <snip>
                                > As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                                > method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                                > available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                                > completion of this requirement based on self-study [...]

                                Neil,

                                What is the process for getting one's card signed? Specifically, are
                                there any tests that need to be taken/administered or is it just 'scouts
                                honor'?

                                thanks -

                                Y.I.S.,
                                -Michael
                                CM P-702
                                Canaveral District Committee
                                (beaver)
                              • huntro1
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                  I think he means the training card that you get at the completion of
                                  the course.

                                  Steve

                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Myjak" <mmyjak@...>

                                • NeilLup@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                    Hello Michael,

                                    As you probably know, there are requirements cards for each of the Training
                                    Awards.

                                    http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx
                                    http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/CubScoutingForms/forms.aspx

                                    For example, here is the downloadable and printable card for the Webelos
                                    Den Leader Award:
                                    http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

                                    There is a space in each of these cards for a signature when a requirement is
                                    completed.

                                    Normally, this can be signed when a course is completed. I believe that
                                    the signature for the Den Leader award is supposed to be by the Cubmaster or
                                    Committee Chairman.

                                    The District Training Chairman can designate who is the appropriate person to
                                    certify completion based on personal coaching or self-study. Presumably,
                                    this person is someone who is a mentor/coach-counselor for the leader. It
                                    might be a Commissioner, it might be the Pack Trainer for a Pack or it might
                                    be some other leader or it could be the District Training Chairman. If
                                    could, of course, just be the Cubmaster or Committee Chairman as they are the
                                    ones who can sign the card. If you have an active Commissioner, this person
                                    can take the initiative in seeing that the requirements get completed and the
                                    award made.

                                    In short, there is no one "official" way to get this done. The District
                                    Training Chairman has a lot of flexibility in seeing that training
                                    requirements are met.

                                    I hope that is the information you want. If not, please clarify and I'll
                                    try to find out more for you.

                                    Best wishes,

                                    Neil Lupton