Re: Leader Training Knots

  • Shilo
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
      Since the council/district hasn't offered the course for their
      Webelos Leaders then I would look out of council. Check with other
      councils near by and see when they offer the course. In our council
      it is offered once a year per district. We are looking into doing
      twice a year due to alot of people don't want to do OWL/WOLF in
      January. We normally have BALOO in the spring and OWL in the winter.
      But we have had leaders who went out of council or district to take
      the course. If they took the training else were we count that
      because BSA training is the same.

      Someone said that someone missed POW WOW I know in our council we
      don't offer POW WOW but we do University of Scouting every 2 years.
      We encourage leaders to go to Roundtables to get their knots. We do
      handouts at Roundtable that are only available at Roundtable. By
      offering Monthly Theme handouts only at Roundtables it boost
      attendance.

      YIS,
      Shilo Nichols
      District Training Team
      District Roundtable Team

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Wolfe" <kentw@...> wrote:

      > I have never heard of a waiver for a requirement. If there were a
      > waiver, it would be saying councils/districts can determine their
      own
      > qualifications. If leaders are looking to earn this award, they
      need to
      > beat down the doors of the council/district training committees so
      that
      > it gets provided.
      >
      > As a past district training chair and also having spent time on the
      > council training committee, I can say that this training is not a
      > highly-sought experience. I ran the Webs training for at least 10
      > years, and we offered it only once a year because #s were fairly
      low.
      > Someone has to get it offered and then do some heavy promoting.
      >
      > With all that said, we went to offering this at the same time we
      did
      > BALOO. We didn't do sessions together because they both had
      different
      > focuses, but we did share the model campsite as a demo. We shared
      in
      > the opening and the closing "campfire". We also shared in lunch --
      one
      > prepared the desserts and the other the lunch. Then someone from
      each
      > side had to explain how they prepared it. It seemed to help
      improve
      > numbers a little because of carpooling for the two trainings. The
      # of
      > the Webs trainings did increase when we worked the two side by
      side.

      > My $0.02.
      >
      > Kent Wolfe
      > Lincoln, NE

      On
      > Behalf Of huntro1
      > Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:48 AM
      > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Scouter_T] Leader Training Knots
      >
      > I have a question and would like some feedback.
      > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
      > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get a
      > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
      district
      > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
      taking
      > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
      >
      > Y.I.S.,
      > Steve McDanal
      >
      > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...
      >
      > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

      > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/Yahoo! Groups
      Links

    • huntro1
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
        Ida,
        Thank you. I'll check with her and see about signing off on it
        without the course. She's the one that told me that council is
        looking to take it back, so she knows I've been trying to find it.
        I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
        September or October in another district, but the remains of a
        hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
        canceled.

        Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
        bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
        the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.
        My Webelos are crossing over on Sunday. They ALL earned their AOL
        and are crossing over into Boy Scouts. But since I am also the CC
        for my Pack, and I tell my DLs that they have to take the training
        appropriate for their positions, I have to lead by example. Little
        did I know 2 years ago how difficult it would be to find the course.

        Y.I.S.,
        Steve McDanal

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > Far be it from me to change requirements <*said very tongue in
        cheek
        > -- read why below*> , but I'd check with your district training
        chair
        > -- the person who signs off on the knot requirements how they feel
        > about signing off w/out OWL/WOLF/WLOT being completed.
        >

        > Last year, I had two individuals who, just as I stepped down from
        the
        > District Training chair, submitted their requests for knots. What
        > they were missing was PowWow or Roundtable. They were pre-
        registered
        > to take our PowWow which was canceled because of low pre-
        registration.

        > To *me* that counted -- they would have attended if we would have
        had
        > the course.
        >
        > To the Council training chair [the person covering training at the
        > district until my replacement could be found], they needed ALL of
        the
        > requirements to be met. His compromise was that they needed to
        attend
        > all remaining Roundtables, and serve as training staff at another
        > training. OH .. and they were each leaving their roles at the end
        of
        > that school year (two months away).
        >
        > Eventually, I convinced our Council training chair conceded to my
        > point of view. *I* signed their cards at the first RT they attended
        > because the District Chair was tied up elsewhere. The two leaders
        then
        > attended the second RT which was our annual picnic and awards
        banquet
        > where they received their knots.
        >

        > So .... ask your District Training Chair if they'll sign off since
        > there hasn't been a training held, and doesn't appear to be a
        training
        > going to be held in the near future.
        >
        > Alternatively, BSA training is BSA training. You should be able to
        > take the training in another district/council and get credit for
        it in
        > your district/council ... as long as you get the Trained Card
        saying
        > that you took it.
        >

        > Ida
        > - former District Training Chair, Nittany Mountain District,
        Juniata
        > Valley Council
        >

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@>
        wrote:

        > > I have a question and would like some feedback.
        > > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
        > > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get
        > > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
        district
        > > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
        taking
        > > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
        > >
        > > Y.I.S.,
        > > Steve McDanal

      • Wally Hymel
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
          I've not heard of waivers for awards, perhaps a "test out", administered by
          the district or council training team may be more in line.

          Wally Hymel

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
            my council decided that the Intro to outdoor Leader Skills would satisfy this requirement. We are now teaching a single course which covers all three courses (Baloo, OWL, and IOLS) I have also done individual mentoring/teaching to satisfy requirments.

            Tom Burke

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 3, 2009
              All,
              Thank you for your help. My district training chair found me 2
              courses in my council. Emails sent. Now I am awaiting info from the
              POC for the courses.

              Y.I.S.
              Steve

            • ed5870@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                This year we are trying something different. Baloo on April 25 (Saturday) 8-4 and Outdoor leaders skills for Webelos leaders Saturday 5 PM till Sunday 5 PM. Avoids the staff from having to give up two weekends.

                We normally have BALOO in the spring and OWL in the winter.

                Ed Harvey
                Training Chair
                Dutchess District Hudson Valley Council
                Ever Scout deserves a Trained Leader

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                  IMHO no way can this be accomplished correctly. National agrees with me
                  theses clourses can not be combined.

                  Ed Harvey
                  Dutchess District Training Chair
                  Every Scout Deserves a Trained Leader

                  In a message dated 2/3/2009 6:58:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  tburke57@... writes:

                  my council decided that the Intro to outdoor Leader Skills would satisfy
                  this requirement. We are now teaching a single course which covers all three
                  courses (Baloo, OWL, and IOLS) I have also done individual mentoring/teaching
                  to satisfy requirments.

                  net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

                • huntro1
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                    I found a course!!!!!!!
                    Turns out one of my Wood Badge patrolmates is runing a course in
                    April in a neighboring district.
                    Y.I.S.
                    Steve

                    wrote:

                    > All,
                    > Thank you for your help. My district training chair found me 2
                    > courses in my council. Emails sent. Now I am awaiting info from
                    the
                    > POC for the courses.
                    >
                    > Y.I.S.
                    > Steve
                    >
                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "huntro1" <stevemcd_pack1786@>
                    wrote:

                    > > I have a question and would like some feedback.
                    > > If Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is required for the
                    > > Webelos DL knot and the course is not being offered, can you get
                    > > waiver? I cannot find the course on our council calendar, my
                    district
                    > > has never put it on and now I am getting "council is thinking of
                    taking
                    > > it back from the districts" when I ask about its availability.
                    > >
                    > > Y.I.S.,
                    > > Steve McDanal
                    > >
                    > > I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too...
                    > >
                    > > Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                  • Ida Lively
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Steve,

                      Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
                      join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
                      other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
                      them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
                      couple years. ;)

                      Ida
                    • NeilLup@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                        In a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

                        > I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this past
                        > September or October in another district, but the remains of a
                        > hurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and they
                        > canceled.
                        >
                        > Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. I
                        > bought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thru
                        > the whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.

                        As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                        method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                        available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                        completion of this requirement based on self-study.

                        Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do
                        Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and
                        rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be
                        frustrating and handcuffs.

                        Best wishes,

                        Neil Lupton

                      • Steve McDanal
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Good news! Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is going with me.Y.I.S., Steve McDanal Committee Chairman Webelos Den Leader Pack 1786 Unit Commissioner Pack 793Troop 793Crew 1782I used to be an Eagle and a Good Ol Staffer Too... Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

                          From: NeilLup@...: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:06:58 -0500Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Leader Training KnotsTo: stevemcd_pack1786@...; scouter_t@yahoogroups.comIn a message dated 2/5/09 8:52:50 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
                          I was actually supposed to be on staff for the course this pastSeptember or October in another district, but the remains of ahurricane came thru the day before the course was to start and theycanceled.Worse part is that I don't need the course for my own knowledge. Ibought the training manual in prep for being on staff and went thruthe whole thing, even the sections I was not going to be teaching.As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your completion of this requirement based on self-study.Training is supposed to be enabling and to improve one's capability to do Scouting. The Training Awards program is supposed to be encouraging and rewarding of oneself and motivating for other leaders. Neither is supposed to be frustrating and handcuffs.Best wishes,Neil Lupton**************Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more. (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000022)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                            In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:

                            > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I recruited a new
                            > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night and he is
                            > going with me.

                            Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed there too.

                            I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training Chairman and
                            see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have your Training
                            Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be a nice
                            example to the other participants.

                            You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting and at your
                            Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award presented more
                            than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to earn.

                            We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.

                            Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you participate?

                            Best wishes,

                            Neil Lupton

                          • huntro1
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                              I did Den Visits last night as Committee Chair. I know it's not my
                              job, but I like to check in with them a couple times a year to talk to
                              the parents and answer questions or pass along info. Anyway, when
                              visiting the Bear den, I told them their DL was stepping down at the
                              end of the year and I needed a DL for Webelos. I had a target in mind
                              before I arrived and he did not fail me. He stepped right up. Part of
                              my pitch to the parents was telling them about the course April 18th.
                              The leader to be is going to it with me!!!!!!!!!

                              Not only did I get a DL, I think I got an ADL as well. I'm going to
                              follow up with this prospect at B&G on Sunday. He's got 3 boys in the
                              Pack. Wolf, Bear and W2. They JUST joined 2 weeks ago, but all are
                              getting their Bobcat at B&G. I have agreed to work with the W2 on an
                              individual basis till either June 1 or July 25 (if he goes for his AOL)
                              and then cross him over to Boy Scouts. Anyway, if the ADL does sign
                              on, he has also said he'd go to the course in April.

                              I must be doing something right...
                              Steve

                              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Ida Lively" <Ilively@...> wrote:

                              > Steve,
                              >
                              > Congrats! And may I suggest that you invite others in your pack to
                              > join you in the experience ... let's say your "Bear Leader" or any
                              > other parent that you think might be the next Webelos Leader -- save
                              > them the headache of trying to complete the course for their knot in a
                              > couple years. ;)
                              >
                              > Ida

                            • huntro1
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                Neil,
                                Hadn't thought about the awarding at the end of the course. Good
                                idea. Definately want it awarded at RT too though since nobody else
                                has gotten the award since I've been going (5 years now). I always
                                take the awards at RT and have them presented again at the Pack
                                Meeting so the boys can see their DL getting it.

                                RE: Wood Badge
                                I am currently a Troop Guide for NE-IV-205. Course completed June
                                2008, now the participants are working their tickets. Hope to be
                                staff again once they are all done.

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                                > In a message dated 2/5/09 9:17:01 AM, stevemcd_pack1786@... writes:
                                >

                                > > Good news!  Not only am I going to the course April 18, I
                                recruited a new
                                > > Webelos 1 den leader to be (for our current Bear den) last night
                                and he is
                                > > going with me.
                                > >

                                > Outstanding! Be sure that he gets his card and gets it signed
                                there too.

                                > I might also suggest that you talk with your District Training
                                Chairman and
                                > see if, because this is the last requirement, you might have
                                your Training
                                > Award presented at the conclusion of the course. This would be
                                a nice
                                > example to the other participants.
                                >
                                > You can, of course, also have it presented at your Pack meeting
                                and at your
                                > Roundtable. There is nothing wrong with having an award
                                presented more
                                > than once to set the example that awards exist and are good to
                                earn.

                                > We sometimes present Wood Badge Beads 3 or 4 times.
                                >
                                > Do you have Wood Badge scheduled in the near future and will you
                                participate?

                                > Best wishes,
                                >
                                > Neil Lupton

                              • Michael D. Myjak
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                  NeilLup@... wrote:
                                  > <snip>
                                  > As I mentioned in a previous post, self-study is a perfectly acceptable
                                  > method of completing training requirements, particularly if no course is
                                  > available. Your District Training Chairman should be willing to approve your
                                  > completion of this requirement based on self-study [...]

                                  Neil,

                                  What is the process for getting one's card signed? Specifically, are
                                  there any tests that need to be taken/administered or is it just 'scouts
                                  honor'?

                                  thanks -

                                  Y.I.S.,
                                  -Michael
                                  CM P-702
                                  Canaveral District Committee
                                  (beaver)
                                • huntro1
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                    I think he means the training card that you get at the completion of
                                    the course.

                                    Steve

                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Myjak" <mmyjak@...>

                                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 5, 2009
                                      Hello Michael,

                                      As you probably know, there are requirements cards for each of the Training
                                      Awards.

                                      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx
                                      http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/CubScoutingForms/forms.aspx

                                      For example, here is the downloadable and printable card for the Webelos
                                      Den Leader Award:
                                      http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-52.pdf

                                      There is a space in each of these cards for a signature when a requirement is
                                      completed.

                                      Normally, this can be signed when a course is completed. I believe that
                                      the signature for the Den Leader award is supposed to be by the Cubmaster or
                                      Committee Chairman.

                                      The District Training Chairman can designate who is the appropriate person to
                                      certify completion based on personal coaching or self-study. Presumably,
                                      this person is someone who is a mentor/coach-counselor for the leader. It
                                      might be a Commissioner, it might be the Pack Trainer for a Pack or it might
                                      be some other leader or it could be the District Training Chairman. If
                                      could, of course, just be the Cubmaster or Committee Chairman as they are the
                                      ones who can sign the card. If you have an active Commissioner, this person
                                      can take the initiative in seeing that the requirements get completed and the
                                      award made.

                                      In short, there is no one "official" way to get this done. The District
                                      Training Chairman has a lot of flexibility in seeing that training
                                      requirements are met.

                                      I hope that is the information you want. If not, please clarify and I'll
                                      try to find out more for you.

                                      Best wishes,

                                      Neil Lupton