Re: Troop Venture Patrol

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2009
      Tom,

      Thank you for sharing what your Troop does. Are you the ASM for the
      venture patrol? I notice your presentation is dated 2003. Has your
      troop maintained a venture patrol since then? What have you learned
      or changed since 2003? I'd love to hear more about the successes and
      struggles your venture patrol has experienced.

      I was impressed with your presentation. One inconsistency that I
      observed was that you seem to mix VenturING with your VenturE patrol
      in places. You call the venture ASM an "Advisor" (a VenturING term)
      and state that the "Advisors" will attend VenturING Leader specific
      training. In those two instances you are mixing programs and I'm not
      sure that is the intention of either the VenturE patrol in a Boy Scout
      Troop or a separate VenturING crew.

      Ryan
      Meridian, ID
      Ore-Ida Council

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "tomtribble" <Tom@...> wrote:

      > All: I just posted a PPT presentation that describes our Troop's
      > Venture Patrol design. Each troop will have its own ideas -- these are
      > ours. (File name is Venture Youth.ppt in the Files section)
      >
      > Tom Tribble, ASM
      > Troop 216, Lionville, PA

    • tomtribble
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2009
        Ryan:

        You are entirely correct about mixing the VenturE and VenturING
        models. At the time we designed our program, VenturING was new, and
        we didn't have the maturity to stick to any one program nomenclature.

        But, regardless of the lapse of terminology, we definitely were not
        trying to be a Venture Crew. We adapted some of the ideas and
        terminology (like calling the ASM an "Advisor)," but we always had in
        mind melding the venture patrol within the framework of the troop.
        We were very conscious of the potential conflicts and competition for
        scarce resources.

        All in all, our program went well (past tense), and we are now in our
        second round of venture patrol implementation. We found that we had
        a "bubble" of 10 or so Life Scouts who were losing interest in the
        Troop activities, and that we needed to retain these young men.
        Hence our venture patrol idea. The patrol flourished for about 3
        years, then we had the opposite situation – we had very few mature
        Scouts for over a year. The patrol went into decline. Right now, we
        are experiencing a resurgence in interest as we have about 6 boys of
        Life rank, eager to explore new activities.

        One of our main focuses was in instilling the idea of "service" into
        the venture patrol. From the beginning, we made it clear to the
        venture patrol that one of their responsibilities was to conduct
        Junior Leader Training (at that time) for the Troop. This went very
        well. The boys looked at this requirement as a means of "paying" for
        their additional outing experiences. Also, several of the boys were
        SPL and/or ASPL's who had attended NYLT, so this part was easy for
        them.

        On the down side, we found it extremely difficult to get the boys to
        stand up to the logistics side of the equation. In our troop, the
        ASM's and parents take care of the driving, money collection, permit
        creation, health forms, etc. We wanted the venture guys to take on
        some of this (similar to what happens in a venture crew). But,
        sadly, this just didn't happen. I don't know whether the boys
        weren't ready of these additional tasks, were too busy with sports
        and such, or that the adults "spoiled" them in the process of
        supporting the overall Troop activities.

        Also we found that when the boys graduated from high school and went
        off to college, this left a "hole" which was hard to fill in the
        ranks. Eventually, most of the boys went off to school, and we had
        to downplay the venture patrol idea for a while. Happily, we're back
        again with round 2 – new set of boys and a new set of dads and moms.

        Well, that's about all off the top of my head. I hope you have great
        experiences with your venture patrol guys, and I would be happy to
        hear about any of your "ups and downs" as well.

        YIS

        TomT
        ASM and Venture Advisor, Troop 216, Lionville PA

        Tom@...